Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
maybe off topic I know, but do US tv's play PAL also? or just NTSC only? — Parallax Forums

maybe off topic I know, but do US tv's play PAL also? or just NTSC only?

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2007-06-09 16:27 in Propeller 1
It's not OFF topic, cos I'm currently trying to get my latest app working for NTSC, PAL works fine, I'm guessing it's just a timing issue.
but once it's working with NTSC, I suppose this question, won't be necessary, but I'd still like to find out.

Cheers,
Baggers.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-06-08 20:04
    PAL/SECAM TVs (monitors) and VCRs are available --·as specialty items (high-end.)
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-06-08 20:06
    Ah, ok [noparse]:([/noparse] seems like it's the norm over here in the UK to have PAL and NTSC displayable TV's
    Oh well, lets hope I can fix the timing issues for NTSC on this, as I'd hate to just limit it to PAL users.

Edit: PS, thanks for the info [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Edit2: Fixed the NTSC timing issue [noparse]:)[/noparse] it now works a treat, but it needs an SD card. so how many people using hydra's have an SD card, and what port is it attached to?

Post Edited (Baggers) : 6/8/2007 8:36:16 PM GMT
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-06-09 01:33
    In america our sets play ONLY NTSC. In europe, most new sets will support NTSC as well. THe reason is that in europe there are so many variations of PAL that the chip to do it is needed, so once you have the chip, NTSC is just another set of timings and PAL-M 60 I think or whatever is EXACTLY NTSC, so the UKers have sets that usually display both. And as mentioned you can BUY a "multisystem" set that will support PAL, like I have a couple, they ar $90-150 for a pretty good one. Just make sure it ships from the USA, its cheaper that way. Pannasonic and toshiba I think are what mine are.

Andre'
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-06-09 07:18
    Cool [noparse];)[/noparse]
    Have you had a look at my new demo then? it's on the propeller forum.

Baggers
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-06-09 16:27
    It depends. I bought a cheap ($70) LCD TV, and the digital video processor chip inside it supports both PAL and NTSC by default. (I looked up the data sheet of the chip.) Rather than make separate versions for US and other countries, the people who made the chip simply made it support both. Of course it also had the option to lock the chip down so that it would only play PAL or only play NTSC, and not autodetect. I think most digital TV's chipsets would support both in the US, but I would not be surprised if many of the TV's sold in the US have the autodetect feature locked out for no good reason.