Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question for Chip - decision of adding video to Propeller — Parallax Forums

Question for Chip - decision of adding video to Propeller

JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
edited 2007-06-07 19:07 in Propeller 1
I heard that the Propeller chip was several years of design, but what made you deside to add video capabilities to the chip? I wondered if it was inspired by Rickard Gunee's color video SX games, Andre's SX based Xgamestations, or something else entirely?

It is kind of funny though because when I am working with it, I think of it more as a computer than just a programmable micro.

Anyway just curious.

Comments

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-06-07 08:50
    Yeah, me too [noparse];)[/noparse]
  • ThePenguinMasterThePenguinMaster Posts: 89
    edited 2007-06-07 13:49
    i think they had the hydra in mind.. maybe they wanted a chip you could do games on without much overhead programming.. it almost seems like its made for multimedia and games. also, being that its sort of a hobby thing, and they deal a lot with edgucation, they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd by integrating something you can see. how many hobbiests stay up all night working on a homemade coffeepot so they can brag about it later? some of the other chips such as a pic are tought to get running on a tv, if not impossiple because of the speed limitations. some of the cheap pic chips arnt as exciting as the propellor for that reason. a lot of the projects you can do whith lesser chips that are uncapible of thease things require an lcd that hancdles ic2, and the better the graphics you want the more the$$. so having viedo capibilitys brings down the price and brings up the excitment!
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-06-07 17:15
    The reason for adding video capabilities was to provide a visual output by utilizing a plentiful display which only requires 2 wires to interface with. It was a more fundamental concept than trying to target any one market.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-06-07 17:21
    Nice 1 chip [noparse]:)[/noparse],
    I think I speak for all of us here when I say this, so I'm sure we're ALL MEGA thankful that you did! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
  • ThePenguinMasterThePenguinMaster Posts: 89
    edited 2007-06-07 18:38
    well what ever influenced the discision good choice [noparse]:)[/noparse]. i was only speculating lol. im kinda new to this, but i did shop arround before finding the prop and i didnt find anything like it!
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-06-07 18:55
    The title of this thread "Question for Chip" caught my interest. I watched to see if he'd respond. I noticed that he hasn't posted on the forums since April.

I assume he's hard at work on Propeller II?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-06-07 19:07
    Brian, you are correct, he lurks from time to time, but doesn't have the time to post.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.