Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Adding memory — Parallax Forums

Adding memory

Chris MerckChris Merck Posts: 55
edited 2007-06-06 15:46 in Propeller 1
What options exist for expanding the Prop's available memory?

Specifically, can external EEPROM hold Spin bytecode? If not can it at least be used for data storage?

I would like to expand the available memory to 1MB, even if it must be accessed through a special method rather than as part of the addressable space.

Thank you.

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-06-06 03:23
    I see you are a new-comer to this forum. Welcome, I hope you find everyone to be very helpful. Looking back at all thats been written since before the Propeller was even offered to the public, It can be quite daunting.

Try "search.parallax.com" it's a very efficient search engine for these forums. Much has been written about this subject.

An EEPROM larger that 32k can be used as the boot EEPROM and the additional storage beyond address $8000 can be used for storage of data. This area is not written over when the EEPROM is loaded with a new program.

Additional EEPROMs could also be used on different I/O lines, as the I2c object is non-specific as to what pins are used, and even multiple instances of the object could run in separate cogs.

Using SD memory cards have also been documented, here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=643801 is one instance. But there are other threads as well.

The sky is the limit to how much, and the types of memory that can be accessed in one way or another, with the Propeller. I have even seen one person attempting to interface a computer hard disk drive.

Good luck!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2007-06-06 14:02
    and, yes, several projects on the forums allow code storage in the extended memory space. Search for the "Propeller OS" and "Propeller Basic".

my two cents,
    Marty
  • Chris MerckChris Merck Posts: 55
    edited 2007-06-06 14:07
    Thank you for your direction!
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-06 14:18
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=609066

This is the index thread (within the sticky threads) check under the heading memory

There is a RAM module for the hydra now BTW that can be used with a normal propeller system.

Graham

Post Edited (Graham Stabler) : 6/6/2007 3:47:53 PM GMT
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-06-06 15:06
    Graham, that link you provided didn't work - the correct link the the index thread is

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=609066

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-06 15:46
    Thanks, must have knocked off a digit when adding the url tab.