Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX48 40-pin DIP full kit and PCB available. — Parallax Forums

SX48 40-pin DIP full kit and PCB available.

RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
edited 2010-08-18 07:29 in General Discussion
Hello All,

Some of you may recall the following thread on the development of a new SX48 based DIP module that is pin compatible with the BS2p40 stamp:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=7&p=1&m=166781

These are available now and I know at least a few folks on this forum have had excellent results using this kit as an introduction to surface mount parts. To get these out in the hands of others I am offering them on sale for the month of June (or until I run out). For $29.95 (plus shipping) you get the full deluxe kit with all the parts to build the module including an onboard MAX232, an extra 20Mhz resonator (optional to plug into the socket), and an EEPROM. For those that just want a nice compact way to mount your SX48 chip the blank boards available and also on sale for $4.95 each (plus shipping). The PCB is RoHS compliant, blue solder mask, and silkscreened on both sides for easy placement of parts.

Complete assembly instructions and schematics are included with each kit. These modules are very handy to have around and i've been using them with all sorts of projects (mostly in SX/B at the moment). Ports B, C, D, and E are brought out directly to the sides of the module and are clearly marked. The four I/O lines of port A are reserved for the Serial port (via MAX232) and EEPROM but can be used for other purposes if you leave off those parts.

I've attached a picture of the deluxe kit contents for those that want to see what parts are included.

If you'd like one of these just send me a PM or an e-mail at: rdoerr@bizserve.com

Best Regards,

Robert

http://www.robotworkshop.com

Post Edited (RobotWorkshop) : 11/22/2009 3:42:51 AM GMT
907 x 471 - 93K
512 x 384 - 70K

Comments

• bennettdanbennettdan Posts: 614
    edited 2007-06-06 03:14
    Robert,
    Is their an assembled option you might offer for someone not setup to solder SMD?
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2007-06-06 21:24
    Hello,

If you want an assembled module in the default configuration I suppose I could build one up. It would cost a little more. Just send me a PM or an e-mail. I don't mind building a few as it is an enjoyable kit to build. I hope that this kit will help people get started with using the surface mount parts and that more will inquire about kits than assembled modules.

For those that still want to build the kit and aren't yet comfortable with the surface mount parts I can pre-install the SX48 chip since that part has a fine pitch on the leads. That way people can start with some of the easier parts and once they get their confidence up can try their hand at installing the SX48 next time.

A point i'd really like to stress is the MYTH about requiring anything special/exotic to work with many of the surface mount parts. I don't own or use any special soldering equipment for dealing with surface mount parts. As an example all of the modules i've built with an old Weller WTCPT w/TC201 soldering iron using the fine tip that came standard on it. If you happen to have access to specialized tools that is great and anyone familiar with them is welcome to use them. However, it has been my experience that depending upon your techniques you can get by just fine in most instances without them. The technique and methodology you use when initially assembling a surface mount kit can make all the difference! It takes a little getting use to but quickly becomes pretty natural. It does require good eyesight (or a big magnifying glass) and a steady hand. Now if you start talking about parts that use a Ball Grid Array (BGA) or others like that then I expect you would need special tools. Careful selection of parts to avoid packages (like BGA) can make using tools most people already have on their bench a viable option.

Specifically some of the things required to assemble the module are: Good soldering iron, solder, vise, Fine tip soldering iron, Solder wick, a good set of tweezers, and a magnifying glass. Others that help are: Needle nose pliers, exacto, and defluxing spray.

Even though the parts are RoHS compliant I still end up using regular solder for my own modules since I prefer working with it. I have started to use the RoHS solder for some of the caps/resistor and on other projects but until regular solder is hard to get or the RoHS solder gets better I stick with the old stuff.

Best Regards,

Robert

http://www.robotworkshop.com
    edited 2008-11-11 19:59
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I have more of these kits ready. It is a great way to try out the surface mount parts and also provides and excellent way to use the SX48 chip on a breadboard or as a plug in upgrade for a BS2p40.

Robert

Attached is a picture of an assembled module installed on a BS2p40 demo board:

Post Edited (RobotWorkshop) : 11/11/2008 8:38:24 PM GMT
    1022 x 535 - 123K
    edited 2009-03-18 03:06
    Quite a few more people have been using these SX48 modules lately with good results. I have some kits ready to go and still have a lot of the blank boards which make a great carrier for the SX48 chips if you need an inexpensive way to mount them. The price is still the same on the kits and I can provide assembled ones for a bit extra. If anyone is interested in a kit, board, etc just send me a PM.

Best Regards,

Robert

PS. A picture of this kit was shown in the January 2009 issue of the Nut'N"Volts magazine on surface mount soldering.
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-03-18 21:19
    Robert and All--

I love'em! Those SX48 modules of Robert's are exactly what the doctor ordered for my microcontroller needs. I use one of them on RC Buster to replace the five Stamps that drove his ancestor, Ugly Buster. Robert's SX48 Modules are exact drop-in replacements for the BS2p40.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
    edited 2009-03-18 21:37
    The main difference between this and the BS2p40 is that the SX48 module needs to be programmed in Assembly, C4SX, or SX/B. Just to make sure there isn't any confusion these are pin compatible replacements but doesn't work with any of the BASIC Stamp tools since it uses the raw SX48 microcontroller and not a Stamp chip..

Post Edited (RobotWorkshop) : 3/18/2009 9:59:27 PM GMT
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-03-18 21:40
    All--

Yes, what Robert said.

Sorry, Robert.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • mxg331mxg331 Posts: 5
    edited 2009-03-30 20:46
    Robert--

Would you be will to pre-solder the SX48 with no additional parts and somehow bride the points necessary to make port A pins available (what would be the cost?). Better yet, do you offer a simple TQFP to DIP adapter with a pre-soldered SX48 on it (what would be the cost?). I'm sure you see what I'm trying to do and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Max
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2009-03-30 22:24
    Max,

please have a look at this link:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=627649

This board is available with the SX48 and the two capacitors soldered by a commercial board manufacturer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
  • mxg331mxg331 Posts: 5
    edited 2009-03-31 03:46
    G
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2009-03-31 08:03
    Max,

sorry, my wording was wrong - with "commercial manufacturer", I mean that I let the boards assemble by a local manufacturer with professional equipment, like a pick-and-place machine, and a reflow soldering station, i.e. I do not manually assemble these boards at home.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2009-11-22 03:40
    I finally had a chance to generate PDF versions of the documentation for this PCB board. It will help for anyone that is considering building either the full kit or just how to use the board if you already have an SX48 chip and need a carrier. The instructions explain how you can use an ordinary soldering iron to assemble it.

This link is for the assembly manual for the board

This link is for the schematic of the board

If you have any questions or need any of these boards just let me know.

Robert
    edited 2010-08-18 07:29
    Now that the SX48 Protoboard that Parallax used to sell are no longer available I thought it would be a good time to revive this thread. I still have a couple of the full SX48 kits left and plently of the blank PCB's. The PCB makes a great carrier for the SX48 chip and has an extremely small form factor. If you have a project that uses the SX48 then this board may help. Quantity discounts are available if you need 5 or more boards. If you'd like any just send me a PM or an e-mail to: rdoerr@bizserve.com

Robert