Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Humidity effects on Prop? — Parallax Forums

Humidity effects on Prop?

squidxsquidx Posts: 33
edited 2007-06-05 16:23 in Propeller 1
Has anyone else noticed a problem with USB communications with the Prop or the Prop Dev Kit in cases of high humidity?

I'm trying to isolate a problem I've had sporadically: one evening, about a month ago, during a rainstorm, my prop started requiring multiple attempts to download a program, either to RAM or EEPROM. About 1/3 of attempts would work, otherwise, I would get most of the way, and then during the Verifying RAM process, I would get a "Propeller chip lost on COM7" message.

I wondered at the time if it might be due to the humidity/lightning, but as the problem stopped the next day, I didn't think much about it. In the meantime, once on board, the programs run fine.

This happened again last night, except that with the exception of a very small demo program, I was entirely unable to load anything onto the prop. I checked, and the humidity here in Boston was listed as 100%. Now today, I am able to load a very short LED blinking program, but no long programs (like something including BS2_Functions object. Humidity is currently 73%.

Am I confusing correlation with causation? Could I even consider it correlation? Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks,

Alex

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-06-05 15:18
    If you are having issues it's due to exposed traces partially shorting. The Propeller has been tested to make sure it's packaging is impervious to high humidity.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • squidxsquidx Posts: 33
    edited 2007-06-05 15:32
    Thanks for the reply, Paul.

I just tried the same on a backup prop kit I just opened. Same problem: short program took 4 downloads, long program won't work at all. I'm using a different power supply, but same computer.

Any thoughts about what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Alex
    edited 2007-06-05 15:35
    One way of noting whether it is humidity is to place a blow dryer on low over the board, this will evaporate any droplets of water.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-06-05 15:41
    Let's say I was barking up the wrong tree and it isn't humidity. How can I debug this problem?

I'm currently set up with my backup prop kit, *no* external connections, just the power supply and USB.

When I go to download anything to RAM, the first time it says, "no propeller chip found", and reboots chip. Then the next time I usually hit F7 first, and it finds the chip, then I hit F10, and it locates the chip, begins download, etc etc until during verification, it says the chip is lost.

Post Edited (squidx) : 6/5/2007 3:47:00 PM GMT
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-06-05 16:00
    There could be some flux residue on the board that is becoming conductive in high humidity. Scrubbing it with some IPA might help.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
    edited 2007-06-05 16:04
    Thanks Leon. I'll give that a try. (Assuming IPA == isopropyl alcohol)
    edited 2007-06-05 16:21
    OK, sorry all, I should have done a better forum search. Reboot of computer cleared it all up.

Thanks again,

Alex
    edited 2007-06-05 16:23
    The non-exhaustive list:
    • insufficient power supply
    • PC has too much latency (try rebooting)
    • USB cable has an intermittant connection (try using another cable)
    • homemade board has RESn and/or BOEn wired incorrectly
    • homemade board has residual flux
    • an RF emitting device is located near the USB cable

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.