Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Active-Low switches on Prop w/ debouce — Parallax Forums

Active-Low switches on Prop w/ debouce

Chicago MikeChicago Mike Posts: 88
edited 2007-06-03 17:47 in Propeller 1
I can't believe I'm asking this, but I'm frustrated. I've always used active-high switching for button inputs on the Propeller with no troubles, however I've been trying to do a standard active-low and having no luck at all. The standard wiring of these is as follows, and thats what I've tried:

3.3V
|
|
PIN <---|
|
SW (N/O)
|
GND

The issue I'm having is that 10K doesn't work... I actually have to go down to a 47 Ohm resistor to get this to work!!!! Is this normal? Do I really need to be supplying 7ma? The issue I have with this is that with using such a low value to Vcc causes problems with adding a 1uf cap in the Ground so I can debounce. (It just charges way too quick). Anyone run into this and have a solution?

ThankS!

Post Edited (Chicago Mike) : 6/2/2007 10:19:48 PM GMT

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-06-03 02:24
    Mike, these are just normally mechanical switches, aren't they? What voltage to you measure at the pin? This is never any reason why such a low value resistor should be used unless you needed the current for some other reason so I think you should give it a proper visual and meter check.

It's when we have a really mystical problem that we should ALWAYS go back and check the absolute basics and do this methodically checking and cross-checking (like swap things around). It really saves having to beat your own brains out especially when you find out how dumb and simple it was.

*Peter*
  • Chicago MikeChicago Mike Posts: 88
    edited 2007-06-03 17:47
    I see what you mean. Getting away from it for a while makes everything better. Funny what an extra ~ can do to a direction Pin. <grin>

Very stupid and wasted hours. Thanks.