Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Netburner problems — Parallax Forums

Netburner problems

Tom PTom P Posts: 97
edited 2007-06-07 14:56 in BASIC Stamp
I just received a new Netburner module, but I am having problems.
I have it connected to a network using DHCP. I can see the netburner in the "select a unit" window.
I can then "launch the webpage" and the netbuner webpage comes up fine.
I can "click on the 5-things you can try now!!! and all bullets seem to work, but...
I cannot seem to figure out how to FTP a "test" webpage into the netburner from a browser or from a real FTP program
When I tried to FTp from the browser, - I get -- not logged in error 530 or no files.
When I try to FTP from a real FTP program the connection is refused. What gives!!!
I need some step by step instructions,What I am missing something here!!!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-05-31 18:59
    Tom,

Which browser are you using? You should be able to open the FTP up like a folder, depending on which browser you’re using. If you set a password on the module you should be prompted for it when you attempt an FTP connection.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Tom PTom P Posts: 97
    edited 2007-05-31 19:26
    I am using Mozilla - Firefox
    At the last try I named the configuration/FTP name and password and the web access with the same name and passowrd for both settings. When I clicked on Load a file via browser. I get index of FTP://xx.xx.xx.xx - up to higher level directory.
    But at this point I don't seem to be able to proceed! I dont see any specific drag and drop window - What am I missing here.
    Tom
    edited 2007-05-31 20:11
    Tom,

In IE6 if you get to the web-based FTP page you can simply drag & drop files into it and out of it. Have you tried this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-05-31 21:09
    Firefox and most Mozilla based browsers do not have built in ftp upload support. They only have ftp download and directory listing support. You'll need to use IE6/7, wsftp, windows explorer, or another browser that supports ftp upload.
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2007-05-31 21:18
    Harrison. said...
    Firefox and most Mozilla based browsers do not have built in ftp upload support.
    They only have ftp download and directory listing support.
    You'll need to use IE6/7, wsftp, windows explorer, or another browser that supports ftp upload.

I disagree with you, Firefox with the correct plugin,which is a free dl from mozilla/firefox,
    does act as a FTP client, with full up/dl capabilities..

Bob scool.gif
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-05-31 21:37
    Robert Kubichek said...
    Harrison. said...
    Firefox and most Mozilla based browsers do not have built in ftp upload support.
    They only have ftp download and directory listing support.
    You'll need to use IE6/7, wsftp, windows explorer, or another browser that supports ftp upload.

I disagree with you, Firefox with the correct plugin,which is a free dl from mozilla/firefox,
    does act as a FTP client, with full up/dl capabilities..

Bob scool.gif

Yeap, which is why I noted 'built in support'. I should have said 'not supported in the default configuration with no addons'.
    edited 2007-06-01 12:17
    Ok, Now I'am in trouble!!!
    I tried Windows IE-6 and I was able to upload to the Netburner module.-- all well!!
    I was able to make a web page and send it to the module ok,and I was getting ready to send STAMP II info to the Netburner, but then discovered that I could no longer find the original setup page in the Netburner that would allow me to change the serial settings, to acept the STAMP serial speed. SO now what do I do?????
    thanks
    Tom
    edited 2007-06-01 12:33
    Now, I want to send voltmeter readings from the stamp to the Netburner serially.
    I not sure exactly how to do this? I am a liitle confused as to which example I should be using for this. I also noticed that the variable only accepts two places XX rather than three or more, is this correct, so a voltage reading can only be 2.5 volts and not 2.55v ???
    thanks
    Tom
    edited 2007-06-01 13:57
    Tom P said...
    Ok, Now I'am in trouble!!!
    I tried Windows IE-6 and I was able to upload to the Netburner module.-- all well!!
    I was able to make a web page and send it to the module ok,and I was getting ready to send STAMP II info to the Netburner, but then discovered that I could no longer find the original setup page in the Netburner that would allow me to change the serial settings, to acept the STAMP serial speed. SO now what do I do?????
    thanks
    Tom
    From the documentation...You'll have to type the information in manually.

Browsing to the default IP of the PINK module before uploading custom web pages will bring up the default factory web page. The address of this page is XX.XX.XX/nb_factory.htm where XX.XX.XX.XX is the IP address you assigned with the NetBurner IPSetup utility (or the IP address assigned to the module by DHCP, if you chose to use DHCP.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-06-01 14:00
    Tom,

Please have a look at the documentation…The information is there. From the documentation the answer to your question is below.
    PINK Documentation said...
    Variables
    The PINK module has 100 general purpose variables. The first 20 variables (0 through 19) can be written to flash memory. The remaining variables (20 through 99) are RAM variables only. These variables are all 64 bytes (maximum size).
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 6/1/2007 2:05:03 PM GMT
    edited 2007-06-04 17:27
    Got a few questions
    1. I want to send voltage reading to the PINK module from a BS2.
    So I aaume that I want to write to viable from the stamp to the PINK?
    Am I correct, that I would have to use the !NBOWXX[noparse]:D[/noparse]D command?
    2. So if I have changing voltage data going out the serial port line towards the PINK, how do I translate that to the example on page 8 ,i.e serout 8,396,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0W06:25",CLS]
    ????
    3. I am having difficulty in seeing how to send the data to the PINK!
    thanks
    Tom
    edited 2007-06-04 18:05
    On another note
    I loaded the special registers for email information
    and on the was able to send out an email.
    However it is not obvious to me how I can use the stamp to trigger the message to be sent out remotely based on a condition
    How do I do that?
    edited 2007-06-04 19:26
    Tom,

While it is true that you would be writing to the register (use 0, not O for the 4th character), you would send the data much as it is displayed…Here is an example I did for someone else:

SEROUT 8, 386,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0W20:", DEC TempBinCode, CLS]

Of course, if the data is condensed, which I think you had another thread on this then it might be as below. I hope this helps. Take care.

SEROUT 8, 386,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0W20:", DEC mVolts DIG 3, “.”, DEC3 mVolts, CLS]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-06-05 12:10
    Hi Chris:

SEROUT 8, 386,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0W20:", DEC mVolts DIG 3, “.”, DEC3 mVolts, CLS]
    Above is the line you suggested for a single output.
    I forgot to mention
    That I am experimenting with an LTC1298 which has two voltage outputs.
    The current debug and serial output line for the two channel output are below:

debug "channel " ,DEC oddSign, ": ",DEC, " mV,cr
    serout pin,baud, [noparse][[/noparse]"channel ",DEC oddSign, ": ". DEC, "mV",cr]

Can I display both channels on a webpage using the PINK module?
    How can I modify the lines above to do that?
    thanks
    Tom
    edited 2007-06-05 14:20
    Tom,

The example I gave writes the value to a variable…For the other voltage write it to a different variable using the same convention, then display both variables in your HTML code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-06-05 17:29
    Ok, I sent the data from the STAMP 2 to the Netburner and I can go to the page which displays variables and see the changes, but the webpage I made does not display any numbers.
    I tried using the simple example on page 6 - The value in variable 01 is <Nb_var20>, but nothing changes in the display. AM I using the wrong example for displaying the variable, since the webpage is not displaying the value in NB_var20.
    What am I doing wrong - I'am getting close but not quite there yet???
    HELP
    Tom
    edited 2007-06-05 17:59
    Tom,

You did not post your HTML code or your source code, so there is no way to know…I would verify the data is in the variable by sending it and then going to the modify variables page on the PINK and seeing if the data you expect is even there. If it is the problem is in your HTML code. If it’s not then the problem is in your BASIC Stamp code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-06-05 19:09
    Chris:
    Which example in the #30013 Netburner document will update the contents of the variable registers i.e. !NB0W20, so that they can be on a web page?

I wrote a simple webpage using the example on page 6:
    <html> the value in the variable __ is:<Nb_var01> </html>
    But it does not update when I change the variable on the vv_show.htm page.

Give an example of a mini page that will update when variable is modified so I can see what I am doing wrong here!
    Tom
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2007-06-05 20:08
    it will change in the pink module but you will need to refresh your screen inorder to see the new value.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
    edited 2007-06-07 12:26
    I took your advise and tried baby steps first!
    I wrote a simple webpage and they just updated the PINK modify page to see the results on the webpage and it worked fine using a simple text editor. My first attempt to create a webpage was using Microsoft Front Page, it looked good but didn't work to update the webpage. Using a simple editor to create a webpage worked OK,
    So why does it work with a simple text editor and not with Front Page?
    I would like to make the webpage a little more fancy than just using Notepad, what can I use?
    Tom
    edited 2007-06-07 14:39
    Tom,

This could be a case of an application being overkill. The PINK Module is a micro web server designed for embedded designs. It’s not a full scale system like Amazon.com runs. Front Page may just be overkill for you. I find that Front Page likes to use things that require a server with Front Page extensions. Unless you use it to publish the web page it also creates links in the HTML objects that don’t reflect the proper path. For people like me who just use it for editing this isn’t an issue, however I think that with embedded design simple is often the better approach. Just keep plugging away at it. Try new things one at a time. Don’t make too many changes at once. That way if something doesn’t work the way you expect, you have a better idea where the problem is. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-06-07 14:56
    Thanks Chris - I think I''am on my way with the Netburner.
    I was able to post pages and send email upon an alarm condition etc.
    Thanks for your help and guidance
    Tom