Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS Receiver-Pic Micro Interface — Parallax Forums

GPS Receiver-Pic Micro Interface

Gary.007Gary.007 Posts: 2
edited 2007-05-31 22:32 in General Discussion
I am in need of the word format returned (for Lat and Long) from the Parallax GPS receiver in the smart mode.· Also, if anyone has PicMicro Basic code examples for interrogating in smart mode I would surely appreciate it.· Thanks, Gary

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2007-05-31 16:27
    here is the manual. www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/acc/GPSManualV1.1.pdf it has how to get the data and what format, also there is a basic stamp demo program.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Gary.007Gary.007 Posts: 2
    edited 2007-05-31 20:26
    Stephen, thanks for the manual link, but I already have that.· On page 4, the table gives the format for longitude and latitude with comma seperators.· So, does the word come·from the GPS receiver·as (example): 120,34,45 or 120.3475 and if it is a decimal number, is it an ascii representation or an actural decimal number?· Thanks, Gary
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-05-31 21:01
    Look at the basic stamp example source code. That should be directly portable to your "PICMicro Basic" compiler. Otherwise you need to hook up the device to your computer via an rs232 level converter and look at the raw output. This will ensure that you understand what is happening.

Note that there are other things to take into account, such as the fact that the GPS module may be using an open drain serial configuration. This means you will have to account for this in your program (don't drive the line high, let it float..etc).
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2007-05-31 22:32
    Gary.007 said...

Stephen, thanks for the manual link, but I already have that.· On page 4, the table gives the format for longitude and latitude with comma seperators.· So, does the word come·from the GPS receiver·as (example): 120,34,45 or 120.3475 and if it is a decimal number, is it an ascii representation or an actural decimal number?· Thanks, Gary

Word represents a value of 0 to 65535.· The sample code listed under the GPS module uses the SERIN command which brings in the ASCII values (raw mode) and binary for the "Smart mode.· Then you have the DEBUG statements that follow the SERIN statements that use the DEC modifier to convert it to the decimal form.· You'll notice that they break up some the·word size variable using the highbyte and lowbyte.· You can find more information in our BASIC Stamp ·I hope that this helps.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·