Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can a COG stop itself? — Parallax Forums

Can a COG stop itself?

BasilBasil Posts: 380
edited 2007-06-01 18:23 in Propeller 1
Hi All smile.gif

The subject pretty much says everything.

Provided there is no infinite loop in the COG, will it automatically stop once it has done whatever the object it was loaded with was meant to do?
(By stop, I mean become available to start again with COGNEW.)

Also, can I call COGSTOP(x) from COG x?

Thanks All!

Comments

• mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2007-05-30 01:11
    Yes, yes & yes.

To stop a cog from within assembly use:

cogid    cogid   'Get my cog id 
            cogstop  cogid   'Kill myself 
    cogid   long   0

The rest is pretty stright forward.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    It's not all that hard to count the number of grains of sand on the beach. The hardest part is making a start - after that it just takes time.·· Mirror - 15 May 2007
  • BasilBasil Posts: 380
    edited 2007-05-30 01:24
    Thought so [noparse]:)[/noparse] And in spin?

Cogid := Cogid
    COGSTOP(Cogid)??
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-30 03:02
    (You can't have a variable named "Cogid" since there's a function with that name.

cogstop(cogid) does work fine.
    edited 2007-05-30 03:22
    Oh, missed that one [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks guys.
    edited 2007-05-30 03:53
    I heard it once that every application has about 1 bug for every 1000 lines of code, and that for every bug you fix, you introduce another.

Well, I can do better than that: My example was 3 lines, with a bug in every line!!! cogid was an amazingly poor choice of variable name.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    It's not all that hard to count the number of grains of sand on the beach. The hardest part is making a start - after that it just takes time.·· Mirror - 15 May 2007
    edited 2007-05-30 04:04
    lol, just think of all the bugs in Windows, it may make you feel better [noparse];)[/noparse]
  • KC8DKTKC8DKT Posts: 76
    edited 2007-05-30 05:31
    · Check out Vista,· that WILL make you feel better...smilewinkgrin.gif
    edited 2007-05-30 06:38
    Geez, you guys are NO encouragement. Are you trying to say I should get a job at Microsoft?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-05-30 20:47
    Don't think so lowly of yourself! We would never stoop so low! :-D
  • ThePenguinMasterThePenguinMaster Posts: 89
    edited 2007-05-31 14:10
    i think windows dose better than one bug every 1000 i think its more like every 6 lines lol.. they dont call them bugs though.. they call them 'un-documented features'

oh and check out pc linux if you want to know what a good os is supposed to look like. sorry, this is an unrelated post.. shame on me..

at least with the single line cogstop(cogid) your really lowering the lines of code and keeping it simple. i did also try to set cogid to a variable at first. Im not sure why but it dose seem like the first thing that comes t mind even though its over complicating things.
    edited 2007-05-31 20:49
    ThePenguinMaster said...
    i think windows dose better than one bug every 1000 i think its more like every 6 lines lol.. they dont call them bugs though.. they call them 'un-documented features'

Ands it funny the build in features in anticipation of bugs...Windows Update? tongue.gif

Anywho, back on subject smile.gif
    Ok so thats an easy answer to that question.

And the other one? If a cog run's out of things to do (i.e its not stuck ina loop or waiting for something) does it stop.
    Does the stack space become available again and the cog ready to be used when COGNEW is called?

Or does it wait to be COGSTOP'd?
    edited 2007-06-01 04:28
    If a cog "runs out of things to do", it does stop. Really what happens is that, when the initial routine of a cog is called by a COGNEW/COGINIT in Spin, a return address is used that does a COGSTOP(COGID) effectively. When the cog stops, it is completely reset ... there's no stack (the space is no longer being used for a stack) ... the registers of the cog are all reset to zero, the cog stops executing instructions and its power consumption drops drastically.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-06-01 08:55
    Just to be clear; when a cog is started we have (should?) let if know which part of RAM to use as a 'stack' -- so *we* should have already set this space aside (right?)

That being the case, when the cog stops, either through a cogstop(cogid) or via the implicit stop, the 'stack' is NOT cleared -- is that right?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2007-06-01 10:45
    simonl said...
    Just to be clear; when a cog is started we have (should?) let if know which part of RAM to use as a 'stack' -- so *we* should have already set this space aside (right?)

That being the case, when the cog stops, either through a cogstop(cogid) or via the implicit stop, the 'stack' is NOT cleared -- is that right?
    Yes, so you'd do something like:
    var
      long cog
      long SomeStackSpace[noparse][[/noparse]10]   'Set some space aside as a cog stack

PUB StartCog
      cog := CogStart(CogFunction, @SomeStackSpace)
      AllowAmazingStuffToHappenForSomeTime
      CogStop(cog)
      'At this point, SomeStackSpace is probably filled with random
      'values, but you are now free to use it for any purpose 
      'whatsoever. So you could do:
      CogStart(AnotherCogFunction , @SomeStackSpace)
      'Some time will pass during which SomeStackSpace must NOT be used,
      'but eventually the cog will die (after 10 iterations) and then 
      'SomeStackSpace is available for use again.

PUB CogFunction
      repeat
        DoAmazingStuff

PUB AnotherCogFunction | i
      repeat i from 1 to 10
        DoAmazingStuff
      'This cog dies at this point and SomeStackSpace is once again 
      'free for use in any way you see fit.

Of course the two functions AllowAmazingStuffToHappenForSomeTime and DoAmazingStuff have not been defined here, but their definition shouldn't be too hard.

So, the stack is NOT cleared, but that doesn't matter, because it hasn't been consumed or anything, and is available for further use in other functions.

Which leaves only the question you haven't asked:
    How much space should you set aside for the stack?
    The answer depends a bit on how complex your cog function is. There's a stack size helper object in the Object Exchange. Of course if the cog you start is an assembly cog, then you don't need a stack at all.

Any questions?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2007-06-01 17:55
    "if the cog you start is an assembly cog, then you don't need a stack at all."

Just thinking about getting a prop so I am lurking...

Where is the program counter pushed for called subroutines and interrupts in assembly language if there is no stack?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!
    edited 2007-06-01 18:23
    Look at the description of the JMPRET instruction. The source field specifies a jump destination as do all jump instructions.
    The destination field specifies a location where the program counter is to be stored in the source part of the location.
    If the destination location is a JMP instruction, that acts as the return. The CALL / RET "macros" work that way with
    the RET actually being a JMP instruction and the label for the RET being made from the CALL operand followed by "_ret".

I suggest you stop lurking and get yourself a Protoboard. You could also download GEAR and the Propeller Tool and try out
    some simple programs with GEAR's simulator.