Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using a SSR for a PWM Output — Parallax Forums

Using a SSR for a PWM Output

TennBikeBerkTennBikeBerk Posts: 2
edited 2007-05-28 22:41 in Propeller 1
I have a project in mind for a propeller chip, and I was wondering if it's possible, and what I need to make it happen.

My idea is to basically create a dimmable light, using PWM technology. Depending on the PWM output, I should be able to get varying levels of brightness.

The only difficulty I think I'd face with his project, is getting more voltage/current to the light source, than the Propeller can supply. Could I use a solid-state relay to "boost" the energy going to my light source? Would this work with a PWM signal....will it be able to switch on and off, fast enough for what I want?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Damien AllenDamien Allen Posts: 103
    edited 2007-05-28 20:57
    Is the light source powered from AC or DC?, i'm sure a triac would suit the application if AC is to be controlled. This would be done just by pulsed output i presume.
  • TennBikeBerkTennBikeBerk Posts: 2
    edited 2007-05-28 22:02
    I was thinking of using something like a 1 watt LED, which would be DC.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-05-28 22:41
    In that case switch something like a mosfet or conventional transistor, they will switch more than fast enough and can easily handle the current if you buy the right ones, 1A is no big deal.

I have had sucess in the past with IRLML2502, sot23 sized mosfet with an increadibly low on resistance that can do 3.4A continous.

Graham