Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HSS question — Parallax Forums

HSS question

JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
edited 2007-06-01 01:29 in Propeller 1
I remember reading that you said that 1.5 is close to done and I am curious when you are planning on releasing it?·Also does it support new waveforms like sawtooth and whitenoise? I am looking for something that would replicate the SID somewhat (if not I might try·hacking·it in).

Comments

• Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2007-05-28 04:52
    Yes, it supports Whitenoise and saw [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Yes it is releasing soon.

YES it will have better documentation. (lol)
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-05-28 04:55
    There's a bunch of us very fond of the SID here... <smirk>

Looking forward to your next release as well...
    (Sooner or later, I'm gonna have to get off my lazy behind and create a hardware connection to the SID)

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
    edited 2007-05-28 04:59
    I hope nobody has forgotten that I've been decoding the SID's .mus format for playback as well. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-05-28 05:08
    Is this something documented and included in version 1.5? Or did I somehow just overlook this feature?

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
    edited 2007-05-30 12:16
    It'll be a different release from the normal (Hss). [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    If anyone knows a little more about the MOS6526 I'd also make it play .SIDs and .DATs.

The c64 is the reason I got into programmer and composing. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    The first chiptunes and demotracks I wrote where on the C64!

--Andrew Arsenault.
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-05-31 18:19
    I don't know anything about .DAT files, but don't SID files need a 6502 emulator since it uses 6502 code (I think)?

Also when I try to use sfx_play I can only use two channels where it looks like the music player can use at least 4. Am I missing something or is this something that will be addressed in the new ver of HSS?
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-05-31 21:12
    Yes it does, but at least the SID itself is a very simple chip to control, registers, a few channels, that's about it.

Andre'
    edited 2007-05-31 22:00
    JT Cook said...
    I don't know anything about .DAT files, but don't SID files need a 6502 emulator since it uses 6502 code (I think)?

Also when I try to use sfx_play I can only use two channels where it looks like the music player can use at least 4. Am I missing something or is this something that will be addressed in the new ver of HSS?

Yes some SID files need emulation of the machine while others don't.
    DAT file don't so that's why they will be the first to be supported.
    Also the SID is a great chip! It doesn't make use of what (Hss) can do and is only going to be supported out of interest of so many people wanting support for it.

It'll be a different download as well and not packaged with (Hss).

As for the channel mapping of (Hss). [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    (Hss) has 6 wavetable channels. The current interface engine maps them as 4 and 2.
    4 channels goto the music player while the other 2 are used for the FXsynth.

(Hss) doesn't allow for channel stealing.
    Channel stealing really degrades the quality of playback.
    It is understandable on platforms with only 3 or 4 channels available, But (hss)'s 6+(1 adpcm) channels are enough so that nothing has to be shared.

There happens to be enough channels to allow for full music playback and multiple sound FXs at the same time. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Though if someone really need more channels for something else a quick mod in the playback engine could map them in any order.

--Andrew Arsenault.
  • epmoyerepmoyer Posts: 314
    edited 2007-05-31 22:13
    I haven't ever worked with the SID chip before. Does anyone still make them? I did some poking around and couldn't find a current manufacturer.
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-05-31 22:26
    Is it possible to enable channel stealing·or enable more channels and dissable music playback in HSS 1.5 before it is released? That way if someone wants to make their own music player they can use all six channels (or they wanted richer or more sound effects).

If not I am sure I can hack it in once it is released.
    edited 2007-06-01 01:29
    SID chips have not been in production for a long time, however they can be had very easily by removing them from existing C64 systems. I have a source of dead 64's, providing a cheap source of these chips. As for simple to program, that is in the eye of the beholder. The chip has eight register lines, and eight data lines, variable input lines (for paddle control), and of course audio output.

I've studied the chip itself, and yes, it does indeed look like a doable project, but some serious interface software will also need to be written to play actual SID tunes on the chip. I'm not sure if there is enough memory with spin to get the job done.

I have specs if someone wants to start, as it may be a while before I attempt this project. <smirk>

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔