Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flatbed printer — Parallax Forums

Flatbed printer

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2007-05-28 16:08 in Propeller 1
Here is my first step towards making a 3D printer, getting an inkjet to print over a flat bed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a14zELKPw8M

The printer is still controlled by its own hardware however the paper feed motor no longer does anything but spin and I take the encoder feed from it to sync a stepper motor to move the gantry. The propeller also detects when it should sync and when it should not!

Graham
800 x 600 - 66K
800 x 600 - 68K
800 x 600 - 73K
800 x 600 - 68K
800 x 600 - 69K

Comments

• Steve JoynerSteve Joyner Posts: 4
    edited 2007-05-28 15:09
    This is really cool!· I need to set up an ink jet to print on cans for creating movie props.· Any ideas?
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,548
    edited 2007-05-28 15:21
    Steve,

Move the print head in one dimension (current hardware), and rotate the can with the paper feed roller rather than feeding paper.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-05-28 16:08
    Beau it absolutely correct and its actually easier than the flat bed because it doesn't matter how much the can spins while the printer does its random dancing.

You would want to keep the roller to the edges of the can (not a problem as they are in several sections so just remove the inner ones) to protect the print when it is done.

You need to consider the paper pick up, if you used the propeller like I have then you could detect when the paper feeds and generate the pick up signal yourself, its just 3.3v when there is no paper and 0v when there is.

One issue however is the diameter of the can, too big and the printer will complain, it needs to have a circumference of less than the length of the maximum paper size (legal/A4).

Graham