Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
new spin stamp — Parallax Forums

new spin stamp

ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
edited 2007-05-26 16:03 in Propeller 1
I just ordered a new spin stamp chip!!!· This will give me 16 I/O pins!! I have a 40 pin prop chip and a demo board

This is going to fit the bill!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Fix it if ain't broke·
D Rat

Dave Ratcliff· N6YEE

Comments

• M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2007-05-25 01:48
    huh?

We have a spin stamp, its main use so far has been as a "mini video toaster"... we built a little rig with a little composite-in LCD, a little parallel text LCD and two serial port inputs (one for a keyboard and one for a Xbee), it makes for a pretty nifty looking PDA [noparse]:)[/noparse]

it's a nice thing, but we had to paste a label on it saying "this is not a bs2, it runs on 3V, don't feed it 5", that's the only problem i can see with it really.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=650217

meow, i have my own topic now? (sorta)
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-05-25 03:35
    Woot! I just saw the Spin stamp too! The motor controller for my Powerwheels robot was based around a Basic Stamp; in order to use the Propeller, it was going to require a complete re-wire. With the Spin stamp, all I need to do is drop it in, because the rest of my circuit is already 3.3 volt compliant! Heck yeah! This saves me a good 2 or 3 days soldering work on my research project this summer.

It's the end of the month and I'm not broke for once, so I ordered a Spin stamp *and* finally bought myself a Hydra! With the lower prices, I only spent as much as I would have on the Hydra alone if I'd gotten it when it first came out.
    edited 2007-05-25 03:37
    M. K. Borri said...
    huh?

We have a spin stamp, its main use so far has been as a "mini video toaster"... we built a little rig with a little composite-in LCD, a little parallel text LCD and two serial port inputs (one for a keyboard and one for a Xbee), it makes for a pretty nifty looking PDA [noparse]:)[/noparse]

it's a nice thing, but we had to paste a label on it saying "this is not a bs2, it runs on 3V, don't feed it 5", that's the only problem i can see with it really.

Are you sure you're not referring to a third-party device?
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2007-05-25 03:41
    M.K.,

Any pic's on you'r "video mini toaster?"

Can you post some code ?

Rob7
    edited 2007-05-25 03:44
    Hey, what's with the "Do not connect" and "Connection details not available at this time" on the RS-232 serial I/O pins on the Spin Stamp? From the schematic it looks like it will handle RS-232 levels (using the included transistors). But the deocumentation says not to use them! What gives? I'd really like to use these with the existing Basic Stamp serial I/O connector on my motor controller, to communicate with the laptop (not for programming). That way once the chip is programmed, I can keep my prop clip for other things, and control the circuit through a PC serial port.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-05-25 04:54
    Because the transistor is switching 3.3V and not 5V as with the stamp, some computer serial ports don't recognize that as a valid high voltage. Rather than have people call tech support complaining it doesn't work for thier system, we don't guarantee it's functionality on all systems. If you are working in an RS232 system which supports lower voltage levels by all means use it, it should work just fine. If it doesn't and it's critically important you can use a MAX3232 or some other level shifting external circuitry.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-05-25 08:54
    Ah, I see. Well I'd be willing to bet my FTDI-based USB serial adapter (bought from Parallax) would work with it if anything would.

And if not, I have a sneaky idea. Since I have a spare 339 comparator chip and a 12 volt supply, I could use the output of the comparator to generate a +12V signal on the serial line whenever the Spin Stamp's S-out pin goes to 3.3V, and use S-in pin and a diode & capacitor to generate a negative power supply for the 339 so it can go to -12 as well.

(Yeah yeah, I know, awful lot of trouble to go to to avoid using a Max 232. But, darn it, I never have any of the Max 232's around when I need them!)
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-05-25 11:10
    I like the look of the spin stamp as a drop in module when you need a propeller for a system that doesn't really fit on a protoboard.

Comparing the price of the spin stamp to the protoboard, does this come down to the cost of soldering those pins on? I know what you are going to say but I'd be happy to solder those on if I could buy the stamp at similar prices to the protoboard! I'd also buy a pack of 5 with no problems.

A further question, can you tell me the part number of the crystal if that's possible, I want to make some truly micro propeller set ups and it looks perfect.

Graham
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-05-26 16:03
    Hi Graham, Im on a mini vacation, I have to return to the office to get some of that information to you. I dont think the assemble it yourself is an option, the pins come in reels that we have specialized tools that we machined ourselves to seperate them from the rails. There are several other factors that come into play when doing a price comparison, it is more fair to compare it with the Propstick USB than the ProtoBoard. Besides, it's introductory price is the same as a vanilla BS2, considering it's power thats a good value.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 5/26/2007 4:43:17 PM GMT