Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prices help — Parallax Forums

Prices help

shogunshogun Posts: 5
edited 2007-05-21 02:38 in General Discussion
I am doing a project whereby i have to come up with some prices. Could someone tell me roughly the % increase that electrical products ie sensors, micro-controllers ect are given when sold ie if i buy a sensor from parallx at say $10 how much would parallax buy this product for ? I thought it would be somewhere in the region of about an 80% mark up but thats just a guestimate so if anyone know or can have a guess it would help me alot !
Thanks in advance

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-05-21 00:04
    · The standard Mechanics' mark up is 100% (if the part goes bad, the "reasoning" is, they have to buy it again --·but, of course, it's on·you.)
    · Noticed how much they charge for soft drinks at fast-food places?· $1.50 for a "medium" and their cost is << 25¢.· Talk about mark up (drinks: that's where all the·margin is, the food's a loss leader, they hate it when you don't buy drinks.)
  • shogunshogun Posts: 5
    edited 2007-05-21 02:36
    Thanks mate
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2007-05-21 02:38
    I really doubt that parallax is going to tell you what there cost is on there items.... can you blame them. At the retail level computers have a 10-15% mark up usually. it's kindof a loss leader also. they make bank on the service end. Back in the day I would have customers come in and we would charge them $60.00 an hour to fix\install their kids games.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer. - Jamie Hyneman