Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Normally Closed Relay — Parallax Forums

Normally Closed Relay

StarManStarMan Posts: 306
edited 2007-06-14 19:35 in General Discussion
I have a 12 volt circuit that I would like to temporarily turn off with a Stamp pin while the Stamp does other things, then turn the circuit back on.· The 12V circuit could have a wide range of loads and the current could be anywhere from 200mA to 10 amps.· I am assuming the best way to do this is with a relay switched·by a transistor.· Does anyone have a recommendation for a transistor/NC relay combination for this application?

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-05-21 05:14
    Hello...Here is a schematic to get you started...Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    320 x 240 - 6K
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2007-05-24 01:13
    Thanks Chris,

Do you possibly have a spec for a relay that would fit my needs?· Preferably solid state.· I've been on the Crydom web site, but I really don't know how to spec out a relay.

Chris I.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-05-24 03:33
    Crydom makes Solid State Relays…Your original message indicated a mechanical Relay (Normally Closed). The schematic I posted typically isn’t needed for an SSR. Perhaps you should redefine what you’re looking to do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-06-08 20:36
    Chris,

What would you do differently for an SSR?· I found one at Crydom that will fit my needs initially (it only switches 5 amps).· The part number is DC60S5-B.··· What I am using it for is to temporarily turn off a string of LEDs.

Chris I.
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2007-06-09 03:47
    An SSR is not recommended for DC applications'

If you are only switching 10 amps at 12VDC then a fet should be all you need and you can drive it directly from the stamp pin.

Since you are driving LED's I assume the current is only one direction. A relay allows you to go both directions while an SSR typically switches AC voltage at the zero crossing point.

I would think you would want to regulate the current though, sounds like a lot of LED's to take 10amps unless it's 5 red/orange luxeon3's with a big heat sink.

Here is a to220 package that takes 15 amps up to 60V. .86 cents qty 1

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=381989&Row=863498&Site=US

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!

Post Edited (metron9) : 6/9/2007 3:53:14 AM GMT
  • Desy2820Desy2820 Posts: 138
    edited 2007-06-09 14:49
    Just a note, if you do use a FET, please simplify your life and make sure it uses a logic level input.· I think the the IRL510 and IRL520 can be used at 5 volts.

You may want to check out this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=654078
    edited 2007-06-11 22:27
    Thanks for the alternative.· Those relays are pricey.· So, I have some FDP7030BL MOSFETs in hand but I'm not sure if they are operated by 5V.· Which spec line in the data sheet gives that information?·

Also, I have a question about the operation.· If I want to run current through the MOSFET, should I pull the gate high with a 10K resistor?· How then would I switch it down?· Through a transistor?· Will I need a heatsink on the MOSFET?

BTW, Yes, I'm running·a lot of·LEDs on this system.

Chris I.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2007-06-12 00:45
    Pulling the gate high will turn the MOSFET on. Typically, it is easier (logic wise) to pull it down to 0 volts so it is OFF with no gate signal. When the Stamp pin goes HIGH, the MOSFET conducts.

In the specs, you will see data related to Vgs ( Voltage, gate with respect to Source) and corresponding values of Rdson ( resistance, Drain to Source in the ON condition). You want Rdson to be a fraction of an ohm when voltage signal on the gate is 5 volts. Some specs show this as a graph.

The IRL510, IRL 520 mentioned previously are specifically designed for microprocessor signal levels and will conduct fully with 5 volts on the gate.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-06-13 02:54
    metron9 said...
    An SSR is not recommended for DC applications'

Crydom run a nice range of 'DC Load' SSR's in the CMX range...mosfet switching stage...

www.crydom.com/products/productFamily.aspx?id=21

I have attached the Datasheet also ...

Regards,
    Quattro

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 6/13/2007 3:05:36 AM GMT
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2007-06-14 04:13
    Those are indeed nice. I had neglected to mention the reason they are not typically recommended (from what I read in the Opto22 data sheet) is because of the on state resistance. With the mosfet output Crydom has reduced that to the same level as the IRL520.

Question, Why would someone select a part that is 10 to 20 times higher price given it can perform the same task or is it different than a fet in it's operation or meets some other criteria for safety or something else?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2007-06-14 19:35
    Sidestepping the requirement of a normally closed contact, there are solid state devices out there specifically designed for this!
    They're called high side switches.

Google search for "Infineon Profet" if you're interested. Incredibly low on resistances for the high-power parts.

Downside? Trying to find a distributor that sells a single quantity of the exact part you need.
    Of course, for a hobbyist, just use a relay!

As for using a DC or AC SSR versus a fet, it's all about packaging. An SSR is a conveniently packaged fet. Easier to drop in and replace if it blows up.