Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NEWB- Programming — Parallax Forums

NEWB- Programming

NomarEscobarNomarEscobar Posts: 7
edited 2007-05-22 00:27 in Propeller 1
What programming language are you supposed to use to make games for the Hydra? and what program are you supposed to do it in?

Comments

• epmoyerepmoyer Posts: 314
    edited 2007-05-18 22:23
    Come on in Normar, the water's fine!

The high level programming language is SPIN, which is a byte-code-interpreted language (as is Java). You can also program it in assembly.

The processor on the Hydra is a Propeller. Download the "Propeller Manual" from here for all the info on the chip and the language: http://www.parallax.com/propeller/downloads.asp

You can also download the programming tools "Propeller Tool Software" (compiler and IDE) from the same location.

The Hydra is mostly just a propeller with minimal external hardware, but the Hydra kit comes with a knock-down-drag-out fabulous book, lots of example code, and hardware interfaces (plus the hardware) for mouse, keyboard, and game controller.

There's lots of Hydra info on the main site at http://www.xgamestation.com/browse_products.php?category=7.
  • NomarEscobarNomarEscobar Posts: 7
    edited 2007-05-18 22:29
    thnx, is it possible for a person with no programming knowledge to make a game for this system in about 2 weeks?
    edited 2007-05-18 22:37
    Hmmm. Others can weigh in on this but if you mean "no programming knowledge in SPIN or any other programming language" then I would say no. Hydra is a bare bones minimalistic system and it takes some technical savvy to pull off elaborate games. Today you can not do source-level debugging on the Hydra, which means you typically need strong debug skills to find and correct problems.

To hit the ground running and crank a game in 2 weeks I'd say you should have 1) programming knowledge in other languages 2) previous game writing experience 3) a strong hardware / embedded systems background. Then if you were to leverage the support content out there and work within an existing sprite engine or draw library you could pull it off in 2.
    edited 2007-05-18 22:44
    By the way; I interpreted your question to mean something like "I have a school project and have to get a game working in 2 weeks", in which case my answer stands. If you question is really "Is this thing accessible enough to a new programmer that in 2 weeks I will feel like I know what I'm doing and can make some things happen on my own" then I say yes yes yes! The Hydra book is an excellent introduction to game design and programming.
    edited 2007-05-18 22:56
    yea i meant the first question, thnx for your help
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-05-21 02:00
    Get a hydra, that's the only way to find out! And you can always take one of the pre-made SPIN based games and personalize it and pass it off as your own for you school project [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'
    edited 2007-05-22 00:27
    yea thats wat we're going to try to do, thing is we cant figure out how to run the bmp2spin program, so that we can put are own images in