Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cool peripheral list — Parallax Forums

Cool peripheral list

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2007-05-20 13:19 in Propeller 1
After learning about the Xport used in the recently posted Ybox project I began to wonder just how many more cool devices are out there that could be interfaced to the propeller to provide devastating power.

So the idea is that if you know of some cool add-on like the Xport or the vinculum or whatever post a link here, especially if you have used it.

Xport:

Description:

"Full Networking in a Tiny Package

XPort embedded device server removes the complexity – of designing network connectivity into a product by incorporating all of the required hardware and software inside a single embedded Ethernet solution. Smaller than your thumb, it includes all essential networking features, including a 10Base- T/100Base-TX Ethernet connection, proven operating system, an embedded web server, e-mail alerts, a full TCP/IP protocol stack, and 256-bit AES encryption for secure communications. This easy-to-embed networking processor module enables engineers to focus on their core competency while reducing development time and cost and increasing product value."

Graham
191 x 172 - 4K

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-05-17 13:31
    Yeah, I use Xport devices as well, Ethernet has never been so easy. My favorite terminal is TeraTerm which also supports TCP/IP so I can communicate directly without com port redirection. TeraTerm even runs under Wine in Linux though I've only tried it with the TCP/IP connection.

I always thought that the Propeller was THE cool device.
    A six-inch bit of wire is pretty cool when it hangs off a prop pin and broadcasts TV video and sound.
    It's pretty cool when all you need to interface a microphone are a couple of resistors and capacitors.
    Any I/O pin can do anything that the other pins can is also a cool feature.
    A dual dual dual core in a 40/44 pin pack without even a hint of BGA is pretty cool.
    I believe that up to sixteen audio outputs/channels are possible with simple resistors and caps. I would never want that but it's cool isn't it?
    I thought that any CPU with 4 uarts was cool but prop says double that and more and oh, what flavor besides plain vanilla would you like.
    Multiple independent on-chip VGA outputs? No CPU can do that surely? Years from now some company might have a really really cool CPU that could do that. yeah.gif

*Peter*
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2007-05-17 13:46
    AeroComm AC4790 Transceiver module

ac4790-tx.thumbnail.jpg

AC4790 is a Transceiver able to communicate with another AC4790 at varied Baudrates and with a clear line-of-sight, is able to get a range of 4 miles. This clearly was one of the factors that helped me decide to go with it as opposed to other products in the market. There are other benefits of using AC4790 from future scalability standpoint. One, it is fairly easy to work with compared to other competitive products in the market. It’s Pin layout and Pin characteristics are easy to follow. And, mostly, can be effectively functional just with 3-wires into the microcontroller.

my blog:
    http://aliben.wordpress.com/2006/10/24/aerocomm-ac4790-a-short-introduction/

Product Page:
    http://www.aerocomm.com/rf_transceiver_modules/rf_design_tools_wireless_development.htm

caio

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

·
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-05-17 13:50
    I have to admit the PC side of using something like the xport is a mystery to me, I'd like to use it to get raw data back and forth from the propeller.

Sure the propeller is THE cool device, but I already know about it!

And besides there is no reason the James Dean of microprocessors can't get a nice pair of Raybans!

Graham
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-05-17 15:23
    Yes, I've been starting to lust after that xport device myself after I saw the specs on the Ybox.
    So far, the coolest peripheral I have is the SD/MMC breakout connector. That's a lot of function in exchange
    for 4 pins!

After pondering the implications of serial communication in the Proptool, I'm starting to think that another Propeller itself is
    the coolest peripheral to a propeller. Being so cheap, why not dedicate an entire prop to being a 128+ voice sound chip?!!

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-05-17 15:55
    Yes, a Prop as a periphial would be nice, next to that I have got to say I love the exLCD-004. 65k color, touch screen, storage for bitmaps, and a SD card interface to boot.
    http://www.ezlcd.com/

Post Edited (bambino) : 5/18/2007 12:41:51 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-05-17 17:28
    We took a look at Xport when we were evaluating internet interfaces (obviously we went with the NetBurner solution). But everyone at the time was just getting into the market and alot of the protocols were "we are working on it" status. It appears XPort has matured nicely (and significantly dropped in price) since we last looked at it so we just requested some more samples to get a second look. Clearly I can't say if anything will come of it, but the YPort project definately re-opened our eyes to the product.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2007-05-17 17:42
    It would be very beneficial if folks posting to this thread can include links to the products they're quoting. Saves a goog search [noparse]:)[/noparse]

thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

·
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot
    edited 2007-05-18 04:24
    I'm going to order one of those Xports myself and give it a "spin" -- While this doesn't have any of the copper recommended for heat dissipation, this www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=716 break out board should do the trick.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-05-18 09:43
    Current cool peripheral I have connected to my Prop? A 6502!
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-05-18 12:21
    Hey Paul, While you're looking at the XPort, would you look at the WiPort too? That's gotta be useful for mobile bots...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-05-18 16:34
    Since the only difference I can tell is the wireless bit, we will evalute the features of Xport first before deciding anything about wireless.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2007-05-20 08:47
    This sudden interest in the xport is proof that a lot of posts are overlooked around here. =(
    Not to sound bitter or anything... but I have to hand it to them, the marketing storm being generated with this ybox is growing... even though it doesn't really have a purpose yet.. Wish I'd have thought about taking a couple of my ideas public this way when I first hooked an xport to a basic stamp.. That aerocomm device is very cool, I've been testing them with props for a while now..
    From now on I might think twice about keeping it hush while developing a product and waiting until it's done before going public... =)=)=)
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2007-05-20 08:55
    As a side note, if anyone decides to use the xport in a project... and until parllax comes up with something of thier own... and instead of trying to fit the device into a breadboard which is difficult... this company sells some boards that work nicely...
    And although I already·posted this months ago...

http://www.comfiletech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=23
    edited 2007-05-20 13:19
    I've read "most" of the propeller threads, but I'm new to all of this, (being my first chip was the PICAXE)
    so all of this is "fresh" to me.

Oldbit

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔