Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Tool mods — Parallax Forums

Propeller Tool mods

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2007-05-16 17:34 in Propeller 1
Hi All, ( especially the good people of Parallax )
I'm probably not the only person to want this, but...

Is there any chance of you modifying the propeller tool, to allow downloading·binary files to eeprom addresses >32KB

Or downloading binaries that are bigger than 32KB so that we can download apps in ONE file?

Or give info on how to send data to the port, to make a quick downloader app ourselves, ie to download data to ram + run it. so I can knock up a quick VB app to do so, and release on the forum for others to use.

Thanks in advance,
Baggers.
·

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-05-16 16:33
    It's not an issue of the Tool, it's done by the Propeller itself and is hardwired. Try using the Hydra Asset Manager to deal with portions of the EEPOM > 32KB.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-05-16 17:08
    Yes, I've used that, and I've even written a program that I send to the prop to upload to eeprom, then send the lower half [noparse];)[/noparse]

Cheers anyway.

It's shame it couldn't be accessed in one send, oh well, no worries [noparse]:)[/noparse] thanks anyway, and for the prompt reply, yet again Parallax proving it's way ahead of the competition,
    as I know for a fact that ( not sure if I can put there name on here ) but when I was using another company's chips they're response team always took well over a day to reply.
    But Parallax gets full marks [noparse]:)[/noparse] 4 minutes! wow, I'm very very impressed.

Keep up the great work, that makes your chips and forums the best!

Baggers.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-16 17:13
    Baggers,
    Consider adding an SD card to your system. It only takes 4 I/O pins and some memory for the routines needed. You can load programs directly off the SD card as well as read (and write) data. Have a look at FemtoBasic for an example of this. You could in fact use FemtoBasic to copy programs and/or data from the SD card to the boot EEPROM or EEPROM locations above 32K.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-05-16 17:34
    Yeah, I've got an SD on my system, and it works, but not many users ( even less Hydra users ) have SD cards to attach to it.
    It's for my ManicMiner clone + others that I plan to do.
    Cheers for the extra options anyway Mike, yet again you come to the rescue with other options I mightn't have thought of.
    and another reason why this forum is the best on the net [noparse]:)[/noparse]