Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sorry it took so long! (NAVCOM AI UAV/UMV code and schematics here) — Parallax Forums

Sorry it took so long! (NAVCOM AI UAV/UMV code and schematics here)

M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
edited 2008-08-20 20:46 in Propeller 1
67.15.245.144/portfolio/navcom_ai/

Sorry it took so long to post, but they said I had to wait until I got my diploma -- those were supposed to get printed last week, they got printed today, we had graduation saturday and were handed envelopes with a blank sheet of paper inside...

This system turns any RC vehicle into a smart thingy (except helicopters: we don't have a RC helo, so we couldn't try it out there) and was tried on a rc car, sailboat and plane. I am including schematics on how to put stuff together, and source code for everything. In theory this will work with only GPS but you SHOULD add at least a compass, then you can add accelerometers or wind sensors etc. if you want better positioning precision. Note that this is the single-gps version, double gps is still being worked on.

I use the Prop as the CPU, sensors are generally handled by Picaxe 08Ms because they're cheap & have an ADC, but you can use basic stamps if you want (for the compass and accelerometer for example, those are from Parallax), I am including the source code for the sensors too, and BASIC is BASIC. If you think that using NMEA for sensors is awkward -- yes you get less bandwidth, but it was easier to code for and this way you can plug and unplug sensors on the fly (which was especially good for the boat, sometimes one sensor would get splashed & stop working for a few seconds, couldn't allow it to freeze everything else)

Yay! I'm officially an engineer! Does anyone want to hire me? smurf.gif

67.15.245.144/portfolio/navcom_ai/

Oh... this also includes the latest navigational math library (does great circle distances etc.) if any other UAV-crazy person wants to use it, feel free to but DO tell me if you are using it... I will post it by itself later (aka when I'm done being hung over) on the object exchange.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=650217

meow, i have my own topic now? (sorta)

Post Edited (M. K. Borri) : 5/16/2007 8:31:32 PM GMT

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-05-14 13:03
    Hey, well done Matteo - on both your graduation and what you've achieved.

I'm at work, so can't download the source-code - but you can be sure I'll be doing so this evening smile.gif

Well done.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2007-05-14 21:00
    thanks! I hope you have a use for this.

By the way, the schematics are in Multisim/Ultiboard format because that's what we use at uni... if anyone knows of a better/more portable file format for them that isn't just a big bmp, please tell me and I'll convert them [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Paul_HPaul_H Posts: 85
    edited 2007-05-14 22:23
    Congrats Again Matteo!
    Thanks for your continuing posts. I pulled your source and my favorite part the memorymap file comment about your project(?) partner smile.gif
    So what field of Engineering are you looking in? I've been in telecom near Dallas for 18 years now and its been a fun ride.

Paul
    edited 2007-05-16 02:07
    I'm a Computer Engineer.

Is it worthwhile to clean up the math library and put it in the object exchange?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2007-05-16 08:49
    Hi Matteo,

It never hurts to have the code in the OE if you're happy to share it ;-)

I started reading your PDF last night -- loads of interesting stuff in there (I particularly like the way you've implemented the memory map and expressions parser; neat).

Haven't got to reading your code yet, but am really looking forward to working out how you do your sensor interpolation.

Thanks for sharing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    edited 2007-05-16 20:29
    Getcha on the OE... I'll clean up the math library a bit then. Right now it's fairly swollen, but that's because of the navigation specific functions... I'll clean it up and write some documentation for people so they may comment out stuff they're not using with ease.

Again, if anyone wants to build something based on my system, or using it, go right ahead [noparse]:)[/noparse] brownie points if you let me know, I have nothing to do for five weeks and maybe I can help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Sniper KingSniper King Posts: 221
    edited 2008-05-28 21:25
    Be a UAV nut it would be nice to have this nav object... Where is it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·- Was it pin 11 or 26?· Hmmm....··I think the smell of smoke tells the whole story.· Must be 26.

Michael King
    Application Engineer
    R&D
    Digital Technology Group
  • Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-05-28 21:50
    I think that the link was bad. I found it at 67.15.245.21/portfolio/navcom_ai/nav_files.html by googling on naccom_ai
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-05-28 22:01
    Thanks for finding the right link Chuck, I didn't check it before posting a link to this thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Paul_HPaul_H Posts: 85
    edited 2008-05-29 02:13
    Sniper,

If you haven't already, You should check out the DIYDrones.com site that Chris Andersen started last year. I try to post my homebrew UAV progress both there and here as well keep all the real details on my personal project site www.PNAV.net

As I always tell everyone, its a work in progress, but feel free to grab the code and make changes that make sense to you.
    Have fun,
    Paul
    edited 2008-08-20 19:06
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/attach.aspx?a=24232

Here's an update! It works commercially now! By "commercially" I mean that it's being used in actual paying work, not that you have to pay for it, of course [noparse];)[/noparse]

*happy happy*

I'm now working with Reason Bradley (of Team Toro on Battlebots!) to basically build a very tough autonomous antbot.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-08-20 20:46
    Excellent work Matteo - well done. It's always nice to see a project get to this stage.

Oh; thanks for posting the updated code - I'll have to take a look at it soon smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon