Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need to increase the AMP — Parallax Forums

Need to increase the AMP

cameroncameron Posts: 33
edited 2007-05-21 13:30 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi I am new to electronics please can someone help me. I am sending a 5 volt signal out of one of my pins but I think it needs more AMP's can someone tell me what compont I can use for this and how do I do the calculation for the component I need.

Thanks for your help I am new to this

Thanks Cameron.

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2007-05-12 00:41
    Hi cameron, a few more details of the type and quantity of load would help decide as what to recommend.

Heres a link describing the use of a transistor as a current amplifier with an inductive load, its well worded and worth keeping in your documents folder for future use, even if it does not suit your present needs.

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37701

Jeff T.
  • cameroncameron Posts: 33
    edited 2007-05-12 01:05
    Hi Jeff,

This is some more information about the circuit.

When I test the VSS with no component attached the AMP is about 1130 something like that but when I connect my component it drops to about 85 AMPS. So I think this is too much of a requirement for one of the chips pins however it is 5 volts. So what type of transistor do you recommend. I hope I got the reading right it is on 200 mA on the multimeter.

Thanks for your help with this I am new with electronics.

Cameron.
    edited 2007-05-12 01:18
    Hi cameron, NEVER use a multimeter set to measure current· and connect it directly to a pin on the Stamp from the pos or neg. That is a short and will likely damage the Stamp

In fact using the current range of any meter requires a greater level of caution than other functions.

What is the·component you are wanting to connect to the output pin and what is its voltage and current rated at ?

Jeff T
    ·
    edited 2007-05-12 01:28
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the help I really want to get into electronics but I am finding it hard. Okay this is a long story but here it goes. I work for a company that makes bill counters so I got the basic bill counter that they have and I want to copy there main board which i thought seemed pretty easy ( i know someone who knows not very much about electronics but I would love to do this project). This is how it works, the are two motors inside the machine one is a big AC motor and another one is a small DC motor. The main board sends a 5 volt signal to the power board to power the main motor and the small motor. I have measured both connectors and they are both 5 volts well a little bit below 5 volts like 4.8 something like that. So i connected my chip to the small motor cable and to the ground. Set the port as output and sent 5 volts and great the small motor started to turn as it should do. Then I connected the chip output pin to the Main Motor connector and it doesn't do anything. But when I connect the VSS to the main motor connector it starts to spin. So someone told me that it might be because of the AMP. Truth be told I did this with the SX28 micro controller however I do have a basic stamp 2. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help

Cameron
    edited 2007-05-12 01:29
    Oh i forgot to say the small motor is powered by the power supply i am sure of it even though it is DC because i think it is 9volts. The tech at work told me.
    edited 2007-05-12 01:47
    Hi cameron, the Stamp or SX are not able to directly "power" your motors, so you have an interface by which the microcontroller can control possibly several functions of your machine. I don't know how simple or complex this might be so it is impossible to suggest what you might do. If you can provide more detail on it's operation and a schematic diagram of the circuit you want to copy that might help determine what you need.

Jeff T.
    edited 2007-05-12 01:55
    Hi Jeff,

I will see if on Monday I can get the service manuals for you to have a look at if you have the time. Please tell me how to most micro controllers interface with other components because I was under the impression that they simply send out a 5volt to the component like a sensor for example or something like that and if the component required less voltage you would use resistors how do they do this in reality. Again thank you for your time I am new at this. Got any suggestion of things I could read to help me understand these things better.

Thanks Cameron.
    edited 2007-05-12 02:19
    Hi cameron, electrical/electronic are very diverse subjects and there is a lot to learn. If its what you want I think the first step would be to read Whats a Microcontroller download free from this link.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28123

The resources of these forums are phenomenal, keep reading and doing the experiments in the books and apart from learning you'll probably have a lot of fun too. If ever you get stuck there are plenty of people to help. Of course providing all the relevant information pertaining to your question is most important.

Take care

Jeff T.
    edited 2007-05-19 15:43
    Hi Guys I found out that the AMP needed for the circuit I am interfacing with uses 500mA is there any way I can increase the AMP leaving the SX with the info I have given you.

Thanks,

Cameron.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-05-19 16:37
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol1/col/nv6.pdf
    Though written with the Stamp in mind, the information presented is applicable to SX.
  • willy1067willy1067 Posts: 107
    edited 2007-05-20 08:45
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=641371

Cameron

use part of this circuit,· you will need a 220oh resistor, one mosfet and one diode, all from your local radio shack

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Fernando Gomez

revinc.us
    gomez-rivera.com

Never compare yourself with anyone else, there will always be someone bigger·or·smaller·than you.
    edited 2007-05-21 13:30
    Thanks Everyone for your help!