Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MAX232 question — Parallax Forums

MAX232 question

LearnerNMLearnerNM Posts: 8
edited 2007-05-11 16:54 in General Discussion
Hello: I'm curious about the serial port adapter on the BOE board. Does it have a MAX232 chip? If not, is the MAX232 an adapter I will need to use instead of the port adapter on the board? Thanks.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-11 15:13
    No, it doesn't use a MAX232 chip. The Stamp has a couple of transistors and resistors on the substrate that allow it to communicate using RS232 voltages on the programming port (Sin/Sout). The BOE does have a couple of capacitors on DTR that make sure that the Atn pin gets a clean pulse when DTR is asserted (to reset the Stamp). The schematics are in the PBasic manual.

You can use the DB9 port for debugging and data as long as your application can tolerate a reset every time the serial port is opened/closed. If you want an RS232 connection to other I/O pins, you can either use a MAX232 or you can probably get by with a resistor or two as shown in the PBasic manual in the section on the SEROUT and SERIN statements.
  • LearnerNMLearnerNM Posts: 8
    edited 2007-05-11 15:30
    Thank you Mike.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-05-11 15:53
    Hello,

You may also need a MAX232 on the I/O pins if the device you’re trying to communicate with requires handshaking signals since these are not available on the BOE programming port. Some devices also require RS-232 levels rather than the inverted TTL signals from that port when talking to DCE equipment. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • LearnerNMLearnerNM Posts: 8
    edited 2007-05-11 16:31
    Thanks Chris. Next, is there any particular MAX232 more compatible with the STAMP than another? Suggestions?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-05-11 16:54
    I think you’ll find the MAX232CPE to be the part number you want to search for. For the most part a MAX232 is a MAX232 although there are a few variants. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support