Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
iRobot Create — Parallax Forums

iRobot Create

JoeCreateJoeCreate Posts: 36
edited 2007-05-26 16:52 in Propeller 1
In case anyone here is playing with the iRobot Create, I've posted my CreateOI.spin object on my site.· This object will poll and·maintain the Sensor data from the Create as well as scan 5 i2c sonars and poll an RFID reader as options.· It has methods for driving around and will maintain current x and y coordinates based on the Create's distance and angle measurements.

It uses a minimum of 2 cogs, one for fullduplexserial and one to process the serial data and the i2c sonars and rfid serial data (+1 cog for another fullduplexserial for rfid).

This is my first project with the Propeller.· I switched to the Propeller after getting everything to work with the optional Command Module for the Create.· I just love these cogs.

My pictures and code is at http://irobotcreate.googlepages.com/currentproject
·

Comments

• boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2007-05-11 01:53
    how is the iRobot Create? it looks like fun but i have not seen any info on it except in popular mechanics

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lets see what this does... KA BOOM (note to self do not cross red and black)
  • JoeCreateJoeCreate Posts: 36
    edited 2007-05-12 03:45
    The Create has been working really well. It has everything you need if you are looking for an in-door robot base. The built-in sensors are perfect to get started with. The Drive is S T R O N G and steady. The best part is the Battery and Docking ability. Docking is something every robot builder wants his robot to do, on it's own, when necessary, and undock when it wants. All possible with the Create. Has a bit of I/O that can be read through it's serial port, which is how you read all of it's sensors and IR receiver, and send drive commands. It really takes a lot of the hard part of making a robot that drives reliably and can bump off of things if necessary, and never gets stuck if the sensors are used properly.

It really is a solid platform to build off of. I like it, I want a swarm of them. You know, a controllable swarm, not one of those crazy robots-out-of-control swarms, must kill all humans swarms.
  • boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2007-05-13 22:05
    Thank you

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lets see what this does... KA BOOM (note to self do not cross red and black)
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-05-14 11:34
    JoeCreate said...
    The Create has been working really well. It has everything you need if you are looking for an in-door robot base. The built-in sensors are perfect to get started with. The Drive is S T R O N G and steady. The best part is the Battery and Docking ability. Docking is something every robot builder wants his robot to do, on it's own, when necessary, and undock when it wants. All possible with the Create. Has a bit of I/O that can be read through it's serial port, which is how you read all of it's sensors and IR receiver, and send drive commands. It really takes a lot of the hard part of making a robot that drives reliably and can bump off of things if necessary, and never gets stuck if the sensors are used properly.

It really is a solid platform to build off of. I like it, I want a swarm of them. You know, a controllable swarm, not one of those crazy robots-out-of-control swarms, must kill all humans swarms.

Swarm Robotics is a rather intreaging field. It becomes really interesting when the swarm intelligents start getting really high. Let me know if you start research on building a swarm.

Regards,
    Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident. I was thinking "What the heck is this guy doing?"
  • JoeCreateJoeCreate Posts: 36
    edited 2007-05-26 16:52
    I've updated my web site with the Spin code I've been using to interface my iRobot Create and other sensors. There is an i2c LCD and i2c Sonar object. The CreateOI object also handles an APSX RFID reader which could be easily extracted.

I posted the source-code for a PIC16F690 for A2D conversions which polls and stores Analog Inputs and makes them available to the propeller, or whatever, via i2c and/or usart. I'm using this to poll 4 Sharp IR sensors at the moment. The Spin object code to access the PIC via i2c is also there.