Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TIP: Tile and Sprite editing — Parallax Forums

TIP: Tile and Sprite editing

CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
edited 2007-05-20 00:10 in Propeller 1
Here's a tip for if you want to view or edit tiles and sprites when they are in Spin files.

UltraEdit has a customisable syntax highlighting facility. You can highlight single digits to be different colours if you want. Or better still, to have different background colours. Which is excellent for tile and sprite viewing. See the picture attached.

I added the following to C:\Program Files\UltraEdit\wordfile.txt
/L10"Spin" Line Comment = ' Block Comment On = { Block Comment Off = } String Chars = " File Extensions = Spin Nocase
Delimiters = #,$_
/C1"Hardware Registers"
VCFG VSCL
/C2"Keywords"
WAITVID
/C3"zero"
/C4"one"
/C5"two"
/C6"three"

Utraedit trial is downloadable here:
www.ultraedit.com/index.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

A similar trick might be possible with other editors.
669 x 780 - 44K

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-05-10 22:25
    Very cool idea!

Andre'
  • RedNifreRedNifre Posts: 84
    edited 2007-05-19 00:46
    Hey, that is really nice! Could this be added to the propeller IDE? Perhaps with a hotkey associated with it, so you can turn it on when looking at graphics and turn it off when looking at code?
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-05-19 11:21
    good idea RedNifre, it would be handier in the prop tool, cos as nice as ultraedit is, it can't replace the prop tool when it comes time to compile. it's a nice feature though.
  • RedNifreRedNifre Posts: 84
    edited 2007-05-19 20:22
    Yeah, the best idea might be three modes:
    1. No coloring
    2. Numbers (and hex) colored
    3. Only DAT sections colored
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-05-20 00:10
    Seems like it fits as another mode for the radio buttons along the top of the edit window. Full Source, Condensed, Summary, Documentation, Tile Highlight.

I won't hold my breath though. Those Parallax guys have more good ideas than they have time and resources to implement them. Meanwhile keeping the graphics file open in Ultraedit and remembering to save it each time before compiling isn't such a hardship. Though I keep hitting Ctrl F10 in Ultraedit, and I don't know what that does.

Post Edited (CardboardGuru) : 5/20/2007 12:15:30 AM GMT