Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Drag n Drop Program - wan't to make 1 (need help) — Parallax Forums

Drag n Drop Program - wan't to make 1 (need help)

computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
edited 2007-05-26 07:52 in Propeller 1
Ok i want to make a drag n drop program for programming my robot that is using the propeller chip.
I know some C++ and of course some spin code.
Can anyone help point me in the right direction.

Thank you smile.gif

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-05-10 08:28
    what is a drag and drop program and why do you want one?
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-05-10 08:56
    My guess is he wants something like the Scribbler Robot block based gui programming environment ( http://www.scribblerrobot.com/ContentPages/ProgramGraphics.aspx ). I believe the source to the environment has been released to the public and is written in perl (I am not absolutely sure though).
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-05-10 18:09
    If that is the case; Computer Guy, Why would you want a program like that? It would severally limit your programming options. It seems like it would be a much better option to simply write programs directly in spin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident. I was thinking "What the heck is this guy doing?"
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-10 19:52
    Computer Guy,
    Is your idea that you might do drag-n-drop stuff on a PC and create a Spin program or control table of some kind to be downloaded to a Prop or would you want to do drag-n-drop type programming using just the Propeller itself with a keyboard, mouse, and display connected?

There are some application builders that are either Windows specific or Linux/Unix based or Mac specific. Usually they involve setting up interface elements like buttons and windows on a screen, then writing short event-driven routines that implement the interface behavior. So much depends on what you already have, what you want to do specifically, and how familiar you are with the tools. In any event, this is way beyond the scope of this forum.

If you want to do this sort of thing using just the Propeller, it's still a big project. You could use Chip's 1024x768 tiled VGA driver with the cursor support and use tiles for the graphics rather than straight bitmapped graphics. The mouse would mostly be used for selection since there really isn't enough memory for bitmapped graphics in this resolution.

The two main pieces would be: 1) Making the GUI and its basic functionality; 2) Coming up with the design for the graphical programming language. It has been done before for small computers using something like flowchart tokens. There once was a Palm programming package that worked this way and turned out interpretive code, mostly for data entry and verification applications. I don't remember what it was called.
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2007-05-11 06:48
    Ok i want a pc program (this is for friends of mine who don't know what code is wink.gif that want to program my robot).

I am using C++ Builder to do my programming and am wondering what method to use to get code from draged and droped images to a list of code that workes.
    And how does the code get to the propeller.

Thank you smile.gif
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-05-11 06:58
    C Guy,

The Scribbler GUI is available in source code under the GPL for anyone who wants to use it. It's already been ported to another processor (AVR) here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/attiny-vis-prog/, and there's no reason it couldn't be adapted for the Propeller as well. But you do have to know Perl...

-Phil
    edited 2007-05-11 07:44
    I have had a look at the scribbler code and decided to use that, it looks fairly easy to modify.
    I just have one question, where do you get all the other files that the code refers to from.
    Including:

Sounds
    Images
    Main Program code

Thank you smile.gif
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-05-11 17:11
    C Guy,

You have to install the executable on your computer. Then the icons, the master sound file (in extended ABC format), and the BS2 template code can be found in the installed directories.

IMPORTANT: Please be aware that, although the code is GPL'd, some of the icons contain trademarked images pertaining to Parallax, Inc., and/or the Scribbler robot. You should replace these with icons of your own.

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 5/11/2007 5:17:54 PM GMT
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-05-13 18:56
    that'd be a pretty cool program if you ever get it working properly, be sure to let the forums know of your progress. I know there are a few PERL progg'ers in here that may help alittle down the line.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
    edited 2007-05-26 07:52
    I have a problem with compiling the code and uploading.
    If there are any perl coders that can help with this, that would be great.

If not I might have to wait until parallax creates a command interface for the propeller editor. e.g -no-gui

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my robot using the propeller robot.tmcp.com.au
    If you offer cheap PCB fabrication, perl programming or any other helpful services please email me at.
    anthonybmyatt@yahoo.com.au

Post Edited (computer guy) : 6/3/2007 5:36:33 AM GMT