Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Our newest Propeller accessory — Parallax Forums

Our newest Propeller accessory

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2007-07-31 07:23 in Propeller 1
Thought I'd show a couple pics of our newest Propeller accessory currently in development, it's very own gas/hydraulic powered robot. A must for every Propellerhead! Just a couple minor changes and we should be starting a limited run production.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Paul Baker
Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
1024 x 768 - 414K
1024 x 768 - 364K

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-05-08 22:32
    Paul,

WOW!
    I'd guess a Prop Protoboard is just a $$mall % of that accessory!! yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-05-08 22:41
    Yeah, I discuss it's features a little more in the Robotics Forum.

But yes it will easily be our most expensive item we produce, and it will come with a custom Propeller board. The protoboard was used during development.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2007-05-08 23:09
    All it needs is the lawn mower attachment!
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2007-05-09 00:37
    Nice looking machine! Just a few details I noticed. I think it would be better to mount the feedback potentiometer for the throttling valves directly to the servo/valve assembly. The way they're mounted now is just asking for the feedback pot to skip a tooth. (like during a crash or when removing the base for the brain board) Also, has the engine's governor been disabled? If it has been then no problem, otherwise throttle response would be more predictable with the servo attached to the governor's arm via a spring.

My two cents,
    Marty
  • Mr_MitchellMr_Mitchell Posts: 9
    edited 2007-05-09 00:53
    Haaha...I like how you called this an "accessory"...more like a full-on "outfit" for the Prop!

As Tim the Toolman Taylor would say,"Ho, ho, ho-ho, Hoooooh!"

[noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I hear, I forget
    I see, I remember
    I do and I understand
    -Confucious
  • Steve JoynerSteve Joyner Posts: 4
    edited 2007-05-09 01:19
    Must have one NOW!

Looks great guys!!!
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2007-05-09 01:54
    Dude, thats outstanding. Can you give us an est when you'll release it and about the price range and whether it's remote controlled?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Fix it if ain't broke·
    D Rat

Dave Ratcliff· N6YEE
    edited 2007-05-09 04:26
    Lawson said...
    Nice looking machine! Just a few details I noticed. I think it would be better to mount the feedback potentiometer for the throttling valves directly to the servo/valve assembly. The way they're mounted now is just asking for the feedback pot to skip a tooth. (like during a crash or when removing the base for the brain board) Also, has the engine's governor been disabled? If it has been then no problem, otherwise throttle response would be more predictable with the servo attached to the governor's arm via a spring.

My two cents,
    Marty
    Those valves are being replaced with on/off valves for the production model. They are there to perform differential flow to make turns while in motion, but they were found to be non-linear in response and too slow to actuate. The production model will have the on/off valve and will employ braking to achieve in motion turns. I will have to check about the other things.

Ratronic,
    Sometime this year, in the $3K range, yes however I do not know if the RC transmitter/receiver will be included.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2007-05-09 06:30
    Ken's RC gas powered generator seems to have progressed quite a bit. It's good to see he has progressed away from the 1/4" plate aluminum!!!

Can I ask a stupid question? Why are you selling this? What market are you guys after? I have NO intensions of coming across sounding negative, please, it just seems like a wierd product from you guys, completely logical, but wierd. Is this a "poops-n-giggles" type of project, or have you guys been getting a lot of requests for something like this?

-Parsko
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-05-09 13:14
    Paul

I speak as a representative of the Frequent Fryers Club:

We demand tracks[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Where did I put my LiDar object?

Rich
    edited 2007-05-09 13:16
    Paul,

AND... for a few dollars more...can we have sockets?

Rich
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2007-05-09 13:31
    Where did you get those wheels? I've been looking everywhere for decent mid-size robot wheels.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-05-09 14:29
    In the 1980's I spent about $2000 USD for my first complete PC. Robotics really is 50% a mechanical system and I'd be willing to consider $2000 as a reasonable price tag for a durible platform that can allow me to really explore robots in the real world environment.

Also, the hybrid gasoline powered alternator and electric drive is quite appealing if noise can be minimized.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • SpinBoySpinBoy Posts: 4
    edited 2007-05-09 15:00
    Very fing cool!
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2007-05-09 15:38
    Hey, that looks really nice - I'd like one. And petrol powered too... how retro. It'll go nice with my collection of steam engines and valve radios! wink.gif
    P.S. I am assuming that when you say "gas" you are referring to gasoline?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-05-09 15:46
    Gasoline - yes.

Bergamot, can you describe what size you're looking for? Usually, the challenge is that properly designed wheels need to be coupled with a specific shaft or axle size for robotics. In my view, the wheel (or a hub, at a minimum) needs to be designed to match the motor if it is to be directly mounted. Are you looking for something around 7"?

I'd like us to offer some larger wheels, but here is the challenge:

- one size won't fit everybody's needs
    - they usually need to be coupled with a motor of appropriate size so the hub/wheel arrangement is resolved
    - they're expensive, probably machined, because of the low volume (Harbor Freight wheels are stamped with giant presses)

How much could you pay for a wheel and motor assembly?

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-05-09 16:14
    Guys, lets get something straight here, this is not Ken's Gasoline/Electric project he's been working on. This is actually a different beast we've had in development in parallel with Ken's hybrid. So there is no electricity being generated. There is a seperate battery which powers the electronics.

This robot uses the gasoline engine to cycle hydraulic fluid, and with valves and hydraulic motors transfers that energy to the wheels. This thing has some serious torque and can climb some pretty steep inclines and can go places an electric motor robot cant go.

Practically every structural element was machined, including the wheel assembly. The tires are for high end standing scooters.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 5/9/2007 4:40:25 PM GMT
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-05-09 19:41
    So now the "learning to program the propeller" curriculum has three entries:

1. Blink LED. Check.

2. Drive robot through living room wall. Check.

3. Explain to wife the new house ventilation.

I am much too *frightened* to get one of these. Ten miles per hour, and
    it probably weighs fifty pounds; that's a lot of kinetic energy. A propeller
    "crash" takes on a totally new meaning.
  • Jet_ajJet_aj Posts: 17
    edited 2007-05-09 20:28
    Paul,

Wow, This is cool. and being a hydraulics dude this is right up my alley.

Couple questions though,

What hydraulic motors are you using? and it appears you are using a chain/belt drive to transfer to the wheels. Any gear reduction or do the motors not spin that fast? (we use a 15:1 planetary for the gear reduction but have fast spinning motors.) Maybe a gear change is all you need to increase to the desired 10MPH vs. running the engine at a higher speed (may help the overall life of the engine to run at the slower speed, we max our Cummins QSB 6clyn to 2100RPM)

If you have customers that are wanting to tap into the hydraulics does the pump your using allow for the extra GPM needed without slowing the motors down or is that just up to the customer to resolve?

Also, Controlling the motors? I think I see what appears to be a 2 SERVO DRIVEN? line bodies. (we electrically control our transmission's swash plate and use electric controlled valves to shift the wheel motors) Is this due to the 12/24V needed to control the coils of a conventional hydraulic cartriage? I must say if your using servos to do the controlling of the hydraulic motors, that is pretty Cool!
    What is the other round Black device that is geared to the white line body gear? Position sensor?

and just because you may be curious as to what we build (fully hydraulic drive and steer) I'll post a pic.

This is totally cool. Keep up the good work guys! your inspiring all of us.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    HOLY *@Microsoft%@! (sorry for the cuss, I've been trying to clean up my language)
    Live, Love, Learn!
    My web: www.geocities.com/jet_aj
    My Car Audio site: www.jdubaudio.com
    1280 x 960 - 573K
    edited 2007-05-09 20:55
    Sorry, but I cant answer some of your questions. We had the cart developed out-of-house so the details of the parts used are unknown to us and will be until he creates the final BOM which will be in short order.

The gear ratio will be adjusted to achieve the greater speed. Control of the fluid is achieved by solenoid actuated valves, as I explained in a previous post the servo valves are being replaced by solenoid valves. That geared black body you asked about is an external 10-turn pot, the internal feedback pot was replaced because we needed to measure a 10 turn revolution of the servo since it is a 10 turn valve. But using the brakes and a on/off valve achieves better performance than the 10 turn valves (which took a·couple seconds to fully actuate from one extreme to another), so they are being replaced.

Any hydraulic modifications is up to the customer to work through. We discussed the idea of a dual chamber pump with a contol valve so it would act as a 2·way transmission, but decided against it since it would require an entire overhaul of the cart.

Your truck is a monster, I bet it was alot of fun to build.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 5/9/2007 9:35:06 PM GMT
    edited 2007-05-09 21:31
    Lawson said...
    ·Also, has the engine's governor been disabled? If it has been then no problem, otherwise throttle response would be more predictable with the servo attached to the governor's arm via a spring.

My two cents,
    Marty
    The governor has not been removed, the servo have been programatically limited so that the governor is never engaged.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Jet_ajJet_aj Posts: 17
    edited 2007-05-09 21:39
    Thats ok. Just curious. Good choice on changing to control solenoid valves, after I posted I was wondering how slow the switching would be using a servo... you answered that question.

We have built those trucks in various arrangements for several years now. That one is a cross mount (the engine sits sideways behind the cab)... They are designed for the Coal Mines, we have nearly 100 in service over the US that I can think of off the top of my head. Anywhere from 78" wide to 90" wide and from 48" high to 78" high... Air suspension and hydraulic drive train. Pretty fun to build indeed! It's like programming the Propeller or BS2, each truck/project has its difficulty but is very rewarding in the end. But now I'm getting off topic so I'll quit... nono.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    HOLY *@Microsoft%@! (sorry for the cuss, I've been trying to clean up my language)
    Live, Love, Learn!
    My web: www.geocities.com/jet_aj
    My Car Audio site: www.jdubaudio.com
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-05-10 09:07
    Just a few impressions. The hydraulic confounds me.

Isn't gasoline powered hydraulic more expensive than gasoline to electric hybrid?

I am guessing that the hydraulic offers either substantially more power or less noise involved. It certainly adds another layer of control. Is there a substantial benefit?

Can't wheels be on appropriately sized axles [noparse][[/noparse]sized for payload] rather than motor shafts with power transferred via gears, chain, or belt drive?

I know that everyone wants to save $$$ by direct drive, but motors generally like to run smoothly at higher RPMs than robotic wheels require. It is about inertia.

Also, having a chain or gear drive between motor and wheel may allow you to get a very low center of gravity.

Wouldn't alternator to electric motor be more fuel efficient?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 5/11/2007 1:48:53 PM GMT
    edited 2007-05-10 16:01
    The target for this is outdoor and capable of some types of off-roading, hydralic provides both the nessesary torque and speed for this that electric motors simply cant handle.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Jim ColemanJim Coleman Posts: 52
    edited 2007-05-11 13:42
    Paul

How soon before a track drive is available. I would not want to invest all that money and not be able to climb over small obstacles. The wheel base will have to be adjusted also with a track drive or it will turn up-side-down as it climbs over obstacles. Right now it almost has the shape of a small sphere.

Jim.
    edited 2007-05-11 14:07
    Hi Jim,

No plans for tracks at the moment, so from the time a tracked solution is envisioned it would require at least a year of prototype and production. This robot climbs a square curb, by the way. It's got all the torque needed to go straight up steep hillsides. You may change your mind when you see the videos, maybe not.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2007-07-30 16:38
    Paul,

Any news?

I really like things that work... and Parallax stuff works. I was wondering what the plans are for this peripheral? I would assume that a kit form might be available... and I was wondering whether the individual components might also show up as Parallax parts.

In particular, I am interested in the solenoids.

Rich
    edited 2007-07-30 17:09
    Since this is a 3rd party developing the product for us we will not be sourcing any of the part with the exection of the controller board.

<Edit> Please see Ken's post below for availibility </Edit>

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 7/30/2007 6:51:48 PM GMT
    edited 2007-07-30 17:58
    How about Wednesday [noparse][[/noparse]but without documentation]? Our first two production units arrive on Wednesday. After this we have 50 units scheduled to arrive over the coming months.

We will prepare documentation and some electronics in the meantime, and the early units will be available for sale as soon as we meet some minimum internal documentation/support goals.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-31 07:23
    Sounds awesome guys. You could use a Hayes hydraulic disc brake caliper and master cylinder for a bicylce and just have a 3 or 4 inch disc rotor made with a local waterjet facility. I can attest that if 8" discs can stop 175lbs moving at 60 MPH in 50ft (could have pushed the brake harder but i was already sitting on the back tire which was 2" or so in the air from decelling that hard) a Hayes setup with custom discs would be able to lock the wheels even at full power from the drive. I can easily lock the front wheel with my pinkie. A high speed digital servo on the end of the handle should do the trick, add some halls or grey encoders and presto!, ABS, lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.