Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
N00b Question: Experiment 16 in StampWorks — Parallax Forums

N00b Question: Experiment 16 in StampWorks

StampIdiotStampIdiot Posts: 1
edited 2007-05-08 17:49 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I just bought the StampWorks development kit. I'm stuck on experiment 16. In the schematic is says something about a 555 and 1k resistor. I found the resistor in my kit but nothing that says 555 specifically. Also how to connect these to the development board in not clear to me. I'm not looking for you to tell me how to do it, but if you could point me in the right direction for correctly reading this schematic and what not, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-05-08 17:24
    Hello,

A picture of the 555 timer IC is located at the following link. You should have one of these in your kit. It is an 8 pin DIP IC. Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=604-00009

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • edited 2007-05-08 17:49
    The 555 timer is a small black chip with 8 pins, 4 on each side. Pages 1 - 9 talk a little bit about bulding circuits from schematics. They also show a pin map of the DIP (dual inline package) chip with 2 rows of 4 pins. The chip has an indicator notch you can use to find pin-1 (see page 9). The pin numbers increase around the chip counterclockwise from pin 1. Those pin numbers are shown outside the 555 box on page 101, and they should be your gude about which pin connects to which wire/component.

For other circuit building explanations and examples, see the following pages in texts available for download from the Stamps in Class Tutorials page:

·- What's a Microcontroller pages 38-46, 269-270
    ·- Robotics with the Boe-Bot pages 311-316
    ·- Basic Analog and Digital pages 4-9

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.