Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bitmap To Spin Conversion — Parallax Forums

Bitmap To Spin Conversion

Ed_CheekEd_Cheek Posts: 3
edited 2007-05-07 07:21 in Propeller 1
Hello All,

I have been trying to get the Bmp2spin.exe to convert some bitmaps I have drawn. All I get is a file error. I used The GIMP and Windows Paint to draw bitmaps. I saved the .bmp's as 16 x 16 pixel tiles and only used one color. I save them as both 24 bit format and 8 bit palletized. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Do these programs save in a compressed format maybe?

I am working on my first game and I hope to draw the artwork and used Andre's handy tool to convert to Spin code. The GIMP is open source and free and I hope to make use of something without having to buy it. I have used The GIMP a little in Linux and it is available now for Windows.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-05-07 07:21
    Well, first I am not sure that gimp follows the exact BMP file format, try using paint shop pro or photoshop and generate the bitmap files and or save them with those apps. Also, simply try using some of MY examples, with my files, and make sure that you are doing things right. The programs come with source, so you can re-compile if you need any changes. But, they tested with paint shop pro and photoshop, but the bmp file format has lots of little quirks, and the reader I wrote onlyu handles some of the quirks. but, the trick is to reduce the number of variables when using this stuff. So start with my program and my examples, get those to work THEN try loading one of MY bitmaps into your program then re-save it with another file name in the right format 16/24 bit. Then see if it works the same, if NOT then you must have your bitmap output set with some funny parms like compression, etc. You need to make sure you are outputing windows/RGB bitmap files no RLE, no os/2 or other format.

Andre'