Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SpaceWar! Cool Ship design contest — Parallax Forums

SpaceWar! Cool Ship design contest

epmoyerepmoyer Posts: 314
edited 2007-05-04 18:12 in Propeller 1
Hey out there, SpaceWar! is going to make it onto Andre's upcoming HYDRA CD update, and it needs a cool new player 1 ship design.

To enter, go download the latest alpha release from the SpaceWar! message thread at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=647476, and modify the player_1 ship vector definition in the DAT section. It currently looks like this:

spacewar_p1ship.jpg

player_ship1            word    $4000+ANG_0             
                        word    50

word    $8000+ANG_90
                        word    10

word    $8000+ANG_90
                        word    40

word    $8000+ANG_180
                        word    25

word    $8000+ANG_270
                        word    40

word    $8000+ANG_270
                        word    10

word    $8000+ANG_0
                        word    50

word    0

Use $8000 to draw a line, and $4000 to move to a new location without drawing. Vector points are in polar coordinates relative to the ship's center. The second word after each 'draw command / angle' word is the distance from the center (50, 10, 40, etc...). '0' terminates the list.

Post your vector code snippet and a screenshot of your ship running in SpaceWar! to this thread by Saturday May 5th. On Sunday I'll pick a new ship model, and the winner's name will go down in history in the SpaceWar! credits! Fame and fortune....well, a little fame anyway.... can be yours!

Post Edited (epmoyer) : 5/7/2007 9:39:27 PM GMT

Comments

• epmoyerepmoyer Posts: 314
    edited 2007-05-04 18:12
    I put together an Excel spreadsheet (attached) that converts Cartesian coordinates to polar, and graphs your vector drawings.

The output angles are off by 90 degrees from what they should be, but I can't remember now if they were +90 or -90. I'll post an updated version tonight when I can go check it out, but the current version is usable for testing (and you can just add or sub 90 in the vector draw call in the code to compensate).

The ship in the attached spreadsheet was a model of the Enterprise which I was trying out for Spacewar, but it didn't look too good when scaled down and rendered in pixels, so I'm still on the lookout for good ship models!