Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX-Key not found on COM1 — Parallax Forums

SX-Key not found on COM1

DuctapemasterDuctapemaster Posts: 90
edited 2007-05-07 05:34 in General Discussion
I just got my SX kit LITE the other day and I have had problems programming it from the start. I will try and provide as much info as possible on my situation:

- The error I get is SX-Key not found on COM1
- 90% of the time I get this error, the other 10%, it works fine after fooling with it or it starts to communicate, then cuts off.
- The serial cable is connected to COM1 for sure (I only have one serial port anyways)
- I have tried two cables, both program my Basic Stamp 2 with no problem
- I have tried this on two computers, both program my BS2 fine
- Power is getting to the SX-Key header from the Tech Board
- I am using a Tech Board
- The serial ports on both computers work fine with other serial devices
- No other program is using the serial ports at time of programming/debugging

Anyone have any idea what's wrong? Generally, when it starts working, I have tried to program it many times before and have unplugged the Key and the power multiple times and in different orders.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2007-05-03 02:33
    I'd had some "SX Key not found" results.· It was programming and running just fine -- and then not re-/programming.· Most irritating.· Tracked it down to the supply I was using, maybe its limiting is on the sensitive side because I measured its output when I got the error message and it was sitting at +3.5V

So, when it's powered up and you get the error message, break out the voltmeter and measure +V.
  • DuctapemasterDuctapemaster Posts: 90
    edited 2007-05-03 02:53
    I plugged everything in and the software programmed and debugged the SX once, but after that, I couldn't get to work again. I measured the V+ and it was 4.96V, so close enough. So it's still not working as it seems.

After all, I am using one of the Parallax boards, so the regulator should be suited to this application, but you never know.

I did notice something peculiar though...when the SX-Key works, it gets warm (from what I have read so far, thats normal behavior), but when it won't program/debug and I get that error, it puts out little to no heat. Not sure if that helps at all, but I though I would mention it.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Dan
  • Sparks-R-FunSparks-R-Fun Posts: 388
    edited 2007-05-03 19:27
    What version of Windows are you running?

I have had trouble similar to what you describe (though less severe) on my Windows 2000 computer. My XP Pro computer has no trouble at all. I have no idea whether it is the OS or the computer. Both use motherboard connected serial ports.

- Sparks
    edited 2007-05-03 22:10
    I'm running XP Pro on one and Home on the other. Both have a motherboard serial port.

-Dan
    edited 2007-05-06 22:01
    Anybody? Chris?

I didn't spend $130 on this stuff to have it sit on my desk...

-Dan
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-05-06 22:23
    Okay, as for the Key getting warm when working that should be normal, since at that point it is generating 12V VPP. Try this…Put a 100uF capacitor across the VDD and VSS lines on the black header above the bread board. This may be a filtering issue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-05-06 22:37
    I tried it an it seemed like it wanted to work, but I got about 6 different errors when I tried. First, I got some errors saying that the port was already in use, but those went away and then I got a couple 'communication failed' errors (The box that says what frequency the Key is generating was behind it, so it worked for a bit). After trying this a few more times, it just went back to the 'SX-Key not found on COM1' error again.

I don't understand why the port would be in use by something else, as the only other thing I use thats serial is my basic stamp, and that software isn't even installed on this computer (it is on my other one that I tried this with).

Any other suggestions?

-Dan

EDIT: I got it to work for a bit. I just unplugged the Key and plugged it back in and it worked. I tested it again though, but unplugging it and plugging it back in, and it stopped working. This thing is very particular.

Also, when I unplug it when it's not working, it's barely warm, but when I unplug it after it has be working, it's noticeably warmer (not hot though).

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Post Edited (Ductapemaster) : 5/6/2007 10:44:49 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-05-07 01:22
    The Port in use errors are not related to the Key. Communication errors may or may not be related to whatever is tying up the port. But if you've put the capacitor on and are still getting communication errors then that seems plausible. On the other hand if the Key seems to stop after being plugged in for awhile it could be a thermal issue. Contact me tomorrow in Tech Support to see what we can do about this. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • warnerwarner Posts: 17
    edited 2007-05-07 05:34
    I also hade intermittent problems with the XS Key and the serial port, Like you I could find a basic stamp board I designed and have been using for years, but not the SX although in my case I was using a USB with a serial adaptor, sometimes the SX Key would find it and sometimes not, I could get it to work by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but it was glitchey, I suspect that part of the problem might lie in the way the SX Key program determines what ports are available to the operating system. I finely hade to install two new serial ports on my PC and haven’t hade any serial port problems since. However I never did get the Debug to work so I know what it feels like to have something you paid for not work as well as we have come to expect from the other Parallax products. Good Luck.