Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp vinculum connections — Parallax Forums

Stamp vinculum connections

azaccagninoazaccagnino Posts: 11
edited 2009-01-12 15:57 in Propeller 1
Hello, was reading on this forum that some of you where able to communicate with the Vinculum VDIP1 module. I am trying to do the same wit a Javelin stamp throught a UART. At the moment I have only connected power to it and the DTR#, DST# pins to my stamp pins.·In the·instructions they tell me that if I·bring DSR# (pin ADBUS5) low than DTR# (ADBUS4) should go low. I am unable to do this. No matter what I do to the DSR# the DTR# is always high!

Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Andrea Zaccagnino

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-05-02 12:52
    DSR# and DTR# are both inputs in UART mode and are not really used like the serial handshake signals. Read the VDAP firmware documentation for details (DS_VNC1L_FW_VDAP_v107.pdf), particularly sections 2.2 to 2.4 on page 4.
  • azaccagninoazaccagnino Posts: 11
    edited 2007-05-02 15:43
    I am a bit confused, I don't seem to understand what they mean. In item 2.4 they say that in order to enable data mode the DATEREQ# (DSR#) should be asserted low and that onece the DATAACK#(DTS#) line goes low than I am in data mode. The problem is that my DATAACK line is always high no matter what I do to DATEREQ!

Thank you for your help.
    edited 2007-05-02 20:10
    You normally want to remain in command mode (to send commands to the Vinculum).· Tie DTR high (with a 4.7K pullup to the + supply) and ignore DSR.· With commands that require data, the Vinculum will automatically provide or receive data once the command is executed.
  • azaccagninoazaccagnino Posts: 11
    edited 2007-05-07 21:43
    I have done what you suggested and I did get some response. This is how I have my UART setup.

static final int pinTX = CPU.pin4; //transmit output, connect to device RX pin
    static final int pinRX = CPU.pin5; //receive input, connect to device TX pin
    static final int pinRTS = CPU.pin2; //handshake output, connect to device handshake input pin
    static final int pinCTS = CPU.pin3; //handshake input, connect to device handshake output pin

static Uart tx = new Uart(Uart.dirTransmit,
    pinTX,
    Uart.invert,
    pinCTS,
    Uart.invert,
    Uart.speed9600,
    Uart.stop1);
    static Uart rx = new Uart(Uart.dirReceive,
    pinRX,
    Uart.invert,
    pinRTS,
    Uart.invert,
    Uart.speed9600,
    Uart.stop1);

I also have an oscilloscope conneted to pinTX. When I send the following command: tx.sendString("Rx07") nothing happens. The pinTX does not send a signal (the oscilloscope is flat) . If on the other hand I associate the pinCTS with the rx Uart and the pinRTS with the tx Uart I have a signal ont the pinTX. What could cause this?

Thank you for your help.
    edited 2007-05-07 22:02
    I can't help you with your program. I have some general knowledge about Java, but I'm mostly unfamiliar with how it's implemented on the Javalin. I suggest you continue this thread on the Javalin forum. I originally got the Vinculum working with a Stamp and, after I made sure it also worked with a serial UART interface on the Propeller, switched to an SPI interface which is faster and, in some ways, simpler to implement.
  • shingadaddyshingadaddy Posts: 2
    edited 2009-01-11 20:40
    Has anyone got the Vinculum chip to responds as Andrea and FTDI state in these posts. I can't seem to get the ACK line to go low either after asserting the REQ line low. This is supposed to be the way you get the FTDI chip into DATA MODE
  • jmbertoncelli@USAjmbertoncelli@USA Posts: 48
    edited 2009-01-11 20:56
    Here is a program that I wrote.· It is uisng the Vinculum chip to log GPS raw data.· There is also an LCD display.· I think that could may be help?
    jm.
  • jmbertoncelli@USAjmbertoncelli@USA Posts: 48
    edited 2009-01-11 21:12
    remember that in order to wake up the stick you have to set the RTS pin to output and then set the RTS pin high. Now the stick is ready to answer to the commands.
    jm.
  • shingadaddyshingadaddy Posts: 2
    edited 2009-01-12 15:57
    Thanks jmbertoncelli. I navigated to this Parallax board from a google search regarding Vinculum and DATAACK. I am not using Parallax hardware but am using the Vinculum device and was having the same problem getting the DATAACK line to go low when the DATAREQ line was asserted low as posted by azaccagnino·in this thread. My experimentation reveals that if you are using the VDAP firmware (3.66) with the Vinculum and you
    1.·Do not have a device plugged onto the Vinculum
    or
    2. Have a BOMS class (flash drive stick)

The DATAACK line does not go low when DATAREQ is asserted low as described in the FTDI documents.

However if I plug on another device to Vinculum port 2 (HOST), such as a BLUETOOTH dongle, the Vinculum recognizes that a device has been plugged in but it does not recognize the TYPE of device. If I then assert the DATAREQ line low, Then I get the DATAACK line going low as expected.

I can only guesss that the VDAP firmware does not allow DATA MODE if a BOMS class device (flash drive) is plugged in and does not control the DATAACK line if NO DEVICE is detected. I'm waiting for confirmation of this behavior from FTDI.