Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running VGATEST2 — Parallax Forums

Running VGATEST2

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2007-05-01 15:26 in Propeller 1
Well, I managed to get a VGA connected to my demo board and have tried to run VGATEST2, but I get odd behavior.

When I power up, I get a momentary image with WOOF MEOW and EXIT boxes·[noparse][[/noparse]which·appear to be·the appropriate text image], but then it goes away.

It seems to not work without a keyboard plugged in.

I am using battery power and have a keyboard plugged in.· I am wondering if this is a brown out, if I need a mouse, or some sort of hardware problem.·

Since the VGA is used and gifted to me, it could have internal problems as well.· I can run a trial with my regular PC to verify stability.

The VGA interface lights two of the LEDs on the demo board when I power on the VGA regardless of no power to the demoboard.· Am I risking any harm?

As it stands, it looks like I'll have to question everything to isolate the problem.· But, I would like a tip off if there is something obvious that I've overlooked.· I may get this solved before you get back to me, but the documentation leaves me guessing as it doesn't state which i/o·resources I need to run this object or what I should expect to see and do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-30 14:25
    Ran checks that eliminated the keyboard, eliminated possible brownout, there isn't any code for using a mouse.

I am still getting just a flash of the image before it disappears, but that is all. Apparently having the keyboard boot caused a small time delay.

The VGA is a Sampo Alphascan 511. I cannot seem to locate a PDF for it.
    Though this is a CRT, I am wondering if the interface has some logic to conserve power by shutting down the raster scan.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 4/30/2007 2:33:46 PM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-05-01 15:26
    I am now using the Sampo monitor with my PC and have no problem with it.

But it appears that Parallax's Propeller software/hardware doesn't support this monitor.· I suspect it is XGA and that I need to create some kind of black box to properly work through the interface.·· As much as I can glean, their apears to be a self-test mode [noparse][[/noparse]pin 5]·that adapts the monitor intelligently to a PC's video adapter.

In sum, I need help with this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔