Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Human State Monitoring - POC — Parallax Forums

Human State Monitoring - POC

ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
edited 2007-04-30 13:43 in Propeller 1
hello all,
I have been thinking about a project that will allow me to capture heart pulse, cholesterol level, blood pressure, etc., and using prop, gather and collate that data, call a webservice over the air.· The webservice will then know what to do w/ this data.

I was wondering if someone in this grp will be willing to point me to these health monitoring components that can help me in this project.· I want to stay cheap from $$$ perspective and want to keep the list of things to monitor to the above

thanks in advance

ALIBE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

·
ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot
http://ALIBE.crosscity.com/
·

Comments

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-04-27 17:16
    Alibe,

You can do all of that spectroscopically... except the peripheral blood pressure measurements. Graham is the resident technical expert. What I would suggest is that you learn how to say Спасибо. "thank you" in Russian and then approach a technical institute in Moscow with the gift of a demo board. They have the physical, optical and electronic expertise and a very low expectation when it comes to dealing with the West.

Rich
    edited 2007-04-27 17:21
    Alibe...

While you are at it... ask them to throw in brain mapping.

I need it for my book.

Rich
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-04-27 17:25
    This may be of help. We have been using this monitor for several years. After using it for a while, I decided to 'peek inside', as a curious EE.

It is powered by 2 AAA batteries. Has a small motor and air pump to fill the bladder behind the unit. I didn't want to ruin anything, so was unable to see the micro used, as the LCD was attached with double-sided tape to that micro.

In use, bladder is filled to about 195 mmHg pressure then somehow (some small valve?) is deflated slowly while the systolic and diastolic is measured. Heart rate is monitored during this time, it appears. Two shots of in-use and insides.

Mode and Set buttons allow for setting date and time after batteries are installed; a bit awkward, but only two switches required. Times out to turn off power when not in use. Stores up to 99 readings. Sometimes battery has lasted to fill memory; used rechargeable batts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    640 x 480 - 50K
    640 x 480 - 61K
    edited 2007-04-27 17:27
    Alibe...

If you don't have any luck in Moscow. Try the Institute of Biophysics in Puchino.

They will do the trick for you... and they are fabulous.

Rich
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2007-04-27 17:41
    rjo_ and Harley - thanks much for the pointers thus far.

Harley, this wrist device looks very promising. I wonder if this can be interfaced w/ prop. Are there similar devices w/ Serial interface available?

thanks again

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "any small object, accidentally dropped, goes and hides behind a larger object."

·
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot
    http://ALIBE.crosscity.com/
    ·
  • JoeCreateJoeCreate Posts: 36
    edited 2007-04-27 17:58
    I have always wanted to do remote monitoring with a simple Heartrate Monitor. I haven't looked for the device, but those Infrared Finger-Clip monitor or, better yet, a strap, seems like it would be simple enough to monitor.

Heck, how hard could it be, using IR (or whatever type of LED works best for that stuff) Emitter and a Detector, just watch the subtle pulses on the detector due to the bloodflow changing the reflected light.

I want to clip one on to everyone in the family over night to make sure we are all sleeping synchronously, adjust background music and lighting (for those that sleep with their eyes open) automatically until heartrates are at optimal levels, so everyone wakes up on the same side of the bed, so to speak.

Maybe monitor body temperature to adjust electric-blankets automatically. I could just go on and on, better stop now.
    edited 2007-04-27 18:04
    Alibe...

One more thing... Oldbitcollector is working on the communication thing. And he got there first[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-04-27 20:27
    ALIBE said...
    rjo_ and Harley - thanks much for the pointers thus far.
    Harley, this wrist device looks very promising. I wonder if this can be interfaced w/ prop. Are there similar devices w/ Serial interface available?
    thanks again
    This device, and probably most low-cost monitors, DOSN'T have any other i/f other than the switches and display. Deciphering what's in the micro could be a challenge; and to add-on the i/f....well, if there were just two spare pins....maybe one could have the serial i/f.

Hopefully some of my 2¢ is a help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn

Post Edited (Harley) : 4/27/2007 8:46:35 PM GMT
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2007-04-30 13:23
    Rich... do you sometimes get the feeling your humor just isn't appreciated the way it should be on this forum?! wink.gif
  • lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
    edited 2007-04-30 13:43
    Here is another suggestion... If I remember correctly, you can use two heart pulse sensors about 4-6" apart on the arm and record the delta time between the two. The delta time is based on the distance between the sensors, the hardness of the blood vessel and the blood pressure. You would need to calibrate this type of system but it would provide continuous blood pressure monitoring without the discomfort of the cuff.