Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
4-wire Touch Screen interface? Read a touchscreen, and emulate one too. — Parallax Forums

4-wire Touch Screen interface? Read a touchscreen, and emulate one too.

hellosethhelloseth Posts: 43
edited 2007-04-26 04:22 in Propeller 1
Has anyone used a prop to interface with a 4 wire touchscreen? (I don't know the specifics)

Ideally I would like to be able to read the touchscreen and also emulate the signal to forward on to the existing OEM hardware.

I would like to put a propeller in as a 'carputer' in my '06 Acura TSX. I found a link where a guy 'patched' in a PC with the Acura nav system, and hooked up a 4-pole relay to tap into the 4-wire touchscreen which is in the nav system. The 4-wire interface was then connected to the PC side via a USB touchscreen controller.

He has a toggle switch to switch between the OEM and PC touchscreen controller.

What I would like to do is have the prop be able to read the 4-wire from the screen, and then generate the equivalent signal for the OEM side.
I don't want pass thru, but want to have the prop control some functions on the OEM, so it needs to emulate a person touching the screen.

Thanks
Seth

Comments

• El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2007-04-26 01:06
    I use a ezLCD-004 graphics LCD with buildin touch screen.
    I am including a example to program the ezLCD-004 using the propeller a photo of the actual screen.
  • hellosethhelloseth Posts: 43
    edited 2007-04-26 02:59
    I've considered the ezLCD products for other projects, but for this one I need to integrate to an existing LCD/Touchscreen that came with the car. The video is no problem, but I would like to be able to use the touchscreen and have the prop drive the existing navigation system by generating 'fake'/emulated touches.

Seth
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2007-04-26 04:16
    Is this a resistive or capacitive touch screen? (capacitive touch screens usually only respond to fingers, resistive screens work with anything that contacts them)

if it's a resistive screen the datasheet for this www.national.com/pf/LM/LM8300.html part should give some idea how they're normally read.

Bingo! google found this focus.ti.com/lit/an/slyt209a/slyt209a.pdf pdf file that gives an overview of resistive touch screens.
    and another one www.hampshiretouch.com/doc/appnotes/AN103%20How%20an%20Analog%20Resistive%20Touch%20Screen%20Works.pdf

I bet a couple of digital potentiometers could emulate a resistive screen really well. connect the two wipers together and then the ends go to the car.

I bet the Prop's counters running as Sigma-Delta ADCs could be modified to read a resistive touch screen. (hm... the prop counter ADCs will load the circuit, this will make reading the position more complex.)

have funish
    marty
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-04-26 04:22
    The issue with the Propeller and touchscreens is that touchscreens are analog and have a potential bias that needs to be accounted for. The Propeller's analog capabilities aren't quite up to snuff, however if you use a touch screen digitizer chip such as Burr-Brown's ADS7843 or Analog Device's AD7843 as your analog front end, you can easily have the Propeller act as whatever device you need it to mimic for your downstream electronics.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.