Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to learn Assembly — Parallax Forums

How to learn Assembly

crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
edited 2007-04-26 11:42 in Propeller 1
Now that I have a break from a couple projects at work, I would like to start learning Assembly. Does anyone know of a good place to start? Currently, I am rather lost, since I am used to high level languages only (python, BASIC, spin, etc). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident. I was thinking "What the heck is this guy doing?"

Comments

• CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-04-23 22:29
    I would start by looking at the assembly sticky, then check out the assembly reference in the prop manual, then jump in, code some and post any questions you end up with

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.
  • mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2007-04-23 23:41
    Steps to learn assembly language:

1) Go to the Object Exchange, and grab a whole pile of other peoples code.
    2) Look at it, and try to understand every single instruction.
    3) Write variations of the code you've examined, and see if you can get it working.

... and finally ...

4) Start with a blank page, and write your own program from scratch.
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2007-04-24 04:58
    Parallax has all it's Asm (SASM) support in the SX. Gunthers book is excellent, It is divided up into 3 sections and he has added his own experience of the Pitfalls and the How & Why things work the way they do (It doesn't follow the normal Parallax formulae for books). Also SX/B was designed to spit out a .src file as·a·starting point in assembly and then to be edited down to be more efficient sasm code.

SX/B also spits out a .lst file that shows all your SX/B code and side by side comparison to the compiled SASM code. This really makes it easier to understand the relationship of what·is entailed in a·"High-level" language command and how many lines of SASM code it takes to do the same job.

That way you don't have to start from scratch,·in assembly until your ready too. Then move on to asm with the Propeller with a greater chance of success.

This is one of the reasons I picked the SX, before the Prop.

If you want to explore this a bit further, Download the SX/B compiler and my Test.SXB file. Open it up and then compile it by using·CTRL + A, then launch SXSim and·scroll thru the .lst file and set break points in the check boxes #183 and the next line·in between 202 and·203.

In the "Commands" box hit run. When it stops, then hit "Next BP" (break point) @ the bottom row of SX-Sim. AT the bottom center of the SX Sim use the "CLR" button beside the "Time/us" box, use it and then go back to the "Commands" box and hit Run.

SX-Sim will output exactly how many cycles and the time spent executing the SX/B Shiftin command (140.25us, 561 Cycles @ 4Mhz). Thru SX/B and SXSim you can predict your codes timming.

If you want to see the direct output of your program, look here: SX-Key v3.2.3\Compilers\SXB\Output Files\test.SRC

For trouble shooting: Use CTRL + L to show the .lst file use the .lst file and or SX-Sim or the SX-Key.

Post Edited (Capt. Quirk) : 4/24/2007 5:54:17 AM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-24 05:19
    I would also suggest downloading and using GEAR (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=624986) to experiment with some simple Propeller assembly routines and be able to "watch" the instructions executing.

Capt. Quirk,
    There is a lot of good material on programming the SX, but the SX, like the PICs, is a bit quirky. The Propeller has a much more regular instruction set and few special cases. Even though there's less material on it, I believe it ought to be much easier to learn than the SX.
    edited 2007-04-24 05:54
    Mike,

Can you program in SX/B and SASM?
    edited 2007-04-24 06:05
    I'm sure I could, but I haven't had a need to yet. I've looked at the documentation for both SX/B and SASM and the SX chip itself. I have programmed in so many different instruction sets and high/medium/low level languages over the years that picking up a new one is just a matter of getting all the details organized and looking up stuff all the time.
    edited 2007-04-24 07:08
    The reason I asked is that many people are taking the same route as I am. For a beginner do you really think the propeller is the way to go?

When I moved to the SX, the learning curve was steep to say the least. Learning an actual microprocessor vrs the a stamp microcomputer is a big step. The lack of SX/B documentation hasn't made it any easier, but at least there is good information for learning assembly.

Regardless of what language you learn, the part books that seem to leave out,·is what are·the·quirks·of the processor?, or what are the programming limitations of the chip? and how to get around them in some sort of plain english.

My impression of the Propeller is that it's 8 SX's strung together on 1 chip, with the same variable limitations, with less documentation, with·up to·4 columns of assembly code.·It all seems a bit daunting. But I do like what I have seen with Spin, except for the lack of documentation.

I brought up these points or my experiences?, because I respect your opinion. Like I said, there are many others on the same path and it makes me wonder if I am on the right path or if it's time for a suit change(lol).

Post Edited (Capt. Quirk) : 4/24/2007 7:13:48 AM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-04-24 09:08
    1. Start with making an led flash (included in the manual)
    2. Look at how to control which leds flash
    3. Look at how to change the flash rate by modifying hub ram values and using rlong in the assembly.
    4. Look at how to write data to hub ram with wrlong

The rest comes down to having a go, reading the assembly section of the manual, looking at example programs and brushing up on your binary so you know what a carry bit is!

Assembly is actually very simple when you look at the commands, non of them do very much you just need to learn the slightly perverse way you have to do certain tasks.

A simple but fun project is a great motivator.

Graham
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2007-04-24 10:06
    I agree with Graham 100% as a place to start. That is what I did. I then took a known portion of Spin code and converted it to assy. Start small, so you can easily confirm that you are translating correctly.

My first major assy routine was an SPI engine. I found that a great place to start, since SPI is well documented, and pretty straightforward. That set the foundation for futher education. I'm now using strictly assembly for all my coding, other than human interfacing (displays, switches, etc...) where I use Spin.

-Parsko
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-04-24 11:06
    Thanks Guys, I think I will try to learn off of the propeller instead of the SX. There's something about the SX that has always seemed odd to me. It's probable nothing, I just prefer the Prop. Anyway, I just downloaded GEAR. So between that and the Manual I should be on my way.

Thanks,
    Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident. I was thinking "What the heck is this guy doing?"
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-24 13:38
    It is not the Propller, but...

The fast track.
    1. Use a tutorial, preferably Guenther's

It is thorough and provides complete reference with index.

At one point, I thought I actually found something that was overlooked because I couldn't find it in the Index.
    Guenther patiently pointed out that it was listed as a topic in the Table of Contents.

I really don't think I could fathom the Propeller's 32bit·assemby with 8 processors·without having mastered the SX's 8-bit one processor.· Each to his own; passion will get a lot done. After all how many duds did Edison make before he got it right?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 4/24/2007 1:44:42 PM GMT
    edited 2007-04-24 14:53
    I have found 32bits a positive, it makes little difference for basic operations and means you don't have to mess around if you need to represent big numbers.

The multiprocessor part is there in spin as well as assembly and you only really need to know a few things, how to get data in and out of the hub and that this can also be used to signal between cogs. I tried to get parallax to knock up a simple video on these subjects demonstrating program flow but they seem too busy or don't get the idea.

I had never really done any assembly before the propeller although I did look at pics for a while and the actual code seems much more straight forward and the manual more down to earth IF YOU READ IT!

A final thought, even if you don't use gear it is really handy to have a cog running the TV so you can pass variables to the hub ram and display them all nicely formatted for testing, I found that very helpful.

Graham
    edited 2007-04-24 15:04
    I am in the process of reading the manual. I have just a few questions:

1. The variable that assembly uses- do you define them in the VAR section, or in the DAT section?
    2. Can you call another object from the assembly code? For example, if I put FullDuplexSerial in the OBJ section, can I call the tx, rx, DEC, etc routines from my assembly code?

Thanks,
    Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2007-04-24 15:27
    1. in the dat section, within the same ORG area as the code that uses it

2. no, those routines are all spin

to me, assembly is more useful for drivers than whole applications due to the lack of compile-time absolute address computation

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.
    edited 2007-04-24 17:19
    Most of the time, when you're learning assembly language, you're really learning the hardware structure of the processor. Rather than just bits and bit fields, you've got some notation to make things easier, particularly the use of names to represent numbers (including op-codes). Some instruction sets (like the Propeller's) are very straightforward. They're pretty much uniform and they're mostly complete. If there's an addition instruction, then there's also a subtraction instruction. If there's a logical right shift, then there's a logical left shift as well and the behavior of any "flags" or the equivalent is uniform for most instructions. Timing is also consistent. The SX has some of these properties. The Propeller has more of them. The 8080 and its successors like the Pentium class processors have very few of these properties. The Motorola 68000 has a lot of these properties and the PIC microcontrollers have very few of these.

It's true that the Propeller has 8 essentially identical processors. For the purpose of learning assembly language, it's best to completely ignore this and just write programs for a single processor. Multi-processor programming requires a whole other set of concepts on top of whatever you're using for programming. It's probably best to start with multiple processors using Spin and extend that to assembly language as you become comfortable with assembly language on a single processor.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-04-24 17:23
    Here is an example of Propeller assembly code, it records the states of a pin, fills up a buffer within the cog then writes that data to main memory:

''****************************************************************************************
    '' Full Blast pin recorder, resolution 150ns (6.66 MHz)
    ''****************************************************************************************
                  org
    GetFast       test      ftrigger, #1            wz      'test if we have start condition
            if_nz waitpeq   fsstate, fsmask                 'wait for start condition

:storeloop    mov       fbufstart, ina                  'store pins state
                  add       :storeloop, :d_inc              'inc dest in instruction above
                  djnz      :i, #:storeloop                 'go for next transition

:hptr         mov       :hptr, par                      'use this loc as ptr to hub mem
                  mov       :i, #CogBufSz2                  'reinit counter
                  wrlong    :d_inc, :hptr                   'write non-zero to signal start
                  add       :hptr, #4                       'inc hub pointer

:writeloop    wrlong    fbufstart, :hptr                'write long to main memory
                  add       :writeloop, :d_inc              'inc buffer pointer
                  add       :hptr, #4                       'inc hub pointer 1 long
                  djnz      :i, #:writeloop                 'empty entire buffer              

cogid     :i
                  cogstop   :i                              'die

:d_inc        LONG      $0000_0200
    :i            LONG      CogBufSz2
                  fit       $1F0 - CogBufSz2
    fbufstart     'start of buffer, following variables used before recording
    ftrigger      LONG      $0000_0000                      'flag for start condition
    fsmask        LONG      $0000_0000                      'pin mask for start condition
    fsstate       LONG      $0000_0000                      'pin state for start condition

·Ive used a few tricks but we can walk through them. In this installment I will explain the program through the aquisition process (upto the djnz before :hptr).
    • org is required before every cog's worth of assembly code, it resets the base address for the labels (so they point to the correct location when it's in a cog).
    • GetFast is the name (label) of the routine, it's address when loaded into the cog is $000 because of the org statement.
    • test performs an AND but doesn't write the result, the wz states the Z (zero) flag should be affected by the result of the test (ie Z= 1 if LSB of ftrigger is set)
    • if_nz means this line will execute only if Z=1, waitpeq states that we will wait until the pins equal fsstate (the start condition)
    • :storeloop is a local label because of the :, the mov instruction copies the values on the 32 pins and stores it at location fbufstart
    • the add instruction adds $200 to the value of the previous·mov, this happens to be the LSB of the desitiation portion of the instruction, so the destination of the mov is incremented by 1 (effectively fbufstart++)·
    • djnz decrements the value stored at :i, if it is not 0, jumps back to :storeloop. When :i becomes 0 the loop is exited

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 4/25/2007 6:03:15 AM GMT
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-04-24 17:47
    Craig,

I agree with everything above... except of course there is no perfect way to learn assembly... that depends on your learning style. There are a lot of us guys at the same basic level... so ask bunches of simple questions.

I particularly like the advice above, which suggests limiting yourself to one cog at a time... but I personally think you should try to always segment your assembly code into a new cog.
    Assembly seems like it was made to run in it's own cog... and when you run it with a bunch of spin code ... the rules change a little. And if you start out segmenting your code in this way, you won't find yourself having to rewrite any code once it is working.

I would suggest studying the forum... using search by Author. Mike Green is very productive... and frequently corrects the mistatements of others. Graham stabler never asks a stupid question and if he makes a statement... you can take it to the bank. But...Graham is an advanced thinker... So, it is sometimes difficult to understand his questions. Chip never wastes a line... same for most of the other Parallax guys.

Rich
    edited 2007-04-24 18:01
    Thanks Again Everyone,
    I've been looking at the Assembly language for beginners thread, I've also been reading the assembly language reference from the manual and the downloadable book from Parallax (Beginning Assembly for the SX or something like that). I tried using GEAR, I guess I don't really understand how. It's basically a prop simulator, right? CJ, I agree, with your statement that assembly is better for drivers than whole programs. If you could call spin routines from assembly I might think differently. I just don't want to rewrite every spin object I use.

Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-04-24 18:20
    Craig

I've been doing pretty much the same thing...

I'm convinced that you can call spin routines from assembly... and across a network of props. Exactly what the limitations are and what that might do to performance is beyond me right now...

But if you can pass parameters...which you can... then you use those parameters to call Spin routines. I haven't done it yet... because I have too many other things that I need learn to do first.

Rich
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-25 09:31
    As Mike Green is trying to say....
    To really learn Assembly, you have to commit to completely learning a particular microprocessor with all its quirks.
    Currently, not enough is really published about the Propeller.

The beauty of learning with the SXes is that they are extremely adaptible [noparse][[/noparse]with virtual peripherals], thoroughly presented in a good tutorial and learner's kit, and similar to the Propeller in architecture.

PICs are not very good because there are so many different kinds, AVRs have hardware peripherals, 8051's are quite different in memory management, and older microprocessor require an array of support chips that are hard to find.

Once, you have mastered Assembly in depth on one platform, the knowledge is transferable and you can infer a lot.

But, since the Propeller currently lacks a full rigourous tutorial - you run the risk of getting completely lost. We really don't want you to be disappointed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 4/25/2007 9:58:28 AM GMT
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2007-04-25 09:54
    crgwbr,

I see your hesitation, and that you seem to be intimidated. I promise you that these feelings will go away once you perform step one of Grahams suggestion, blinking an LED.

I started with ucontrollers only 2 years ago. I only had a small class in basic before that. Until I bought a Propeller last year, I didn't have ANY assembly experience. I too, was EXTREMELY intimidated, and I mean EXTREMELY!!! I thought that assembly was like trying to learn Dutch (and trust me on this one, it's the hardest spoken language to learn!!!)

I approached it with baby steps in mind, knowing that my knowledge and experience would build upon itself. If you start with a project that simply resides within one cog, that does not rely on passing parameters to a SPIN cog (this simple project being a blinking LED, for instance), you will be rewarded with extreme amounts of confidence that will give you the courage to try something more complex.

As I suggested before, pick a simple driver to code (SPI, I would not reccomend I2C, it has too many "what if this fault occurs" types of requirements) and have at it. Make sure you do it YOUR way, don't try to rewrite someone elses code. Think through it, and learn the commands.

In only the last week have I grasped the MUX commands!!! After a year of avoiding them, I finally told myself to think about them and how to implement them. I ended up chopping my original Assembly project (the same SPI driver mentioned above!) down to, what appears to me, to be some lean mean code that I can call from any spin or assy cog. This only happened because I started with a goal ("you're gonna write an SPI driver, Luke!") and had this forum to help. Man, I think back at the STUPID questions I asked this forum less than a year ago...

-Parsko

PS - An example of one of my "stupid" questions I had about a year ago[noparse][[/noparse]url]

Post Edited (parsko) : 4/25/2007 10:06:20 AM GMT

edited 2007-04-25 10:34
    Craig,

Assembly is used when you need speed, generally the cog will be doing one thing really fast. The assembly won't be calling the spin the spin will and it will be feeding data from and to the assembly. Think of the mouse driver, your main program may be in spin allowing full access to all the functions required but the mouse is running in assembly in its own cog.

That does not mean that the two cannot talk to each other, if the assembly wants the main program to do something it could set a variable in the hub ram to a certain value, the main spin program might monitor that value and on seeing that do something by running a spin function, that might calculate something and write the answer to the main ram. The spin program could then reset the variable originally used to communicate to tell the assembly that the operation is complete and the data is available in hub ram.

Please follow my 4 step plan, don't worry about gear until you get going and don't worry about the specifics of the programs you eventually hope to write, once you get some basic skills all will fall into place.

Graham

p.s. I nearly said I would write some real beginners examples just then but I might not have time, though I may try. I think the assembly for beginners thread starts a little too high up the food chain.
    edited 2007-04-25 11:33
    Thanks for the tips. parsko, you were right, I am intimidated by assembly. It will probable be best to just to sit down and right some. Anyway, this afternoon if I have some time, I'm going to try to follow that 4 step plan.

Craig

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2007-04-25 12:03
    Some say there are no stupid questions, I say there are only stupid questions, the rest is just rhetoric and showing off!

But seriously you have to get to a point where you know what you don't know before more sensible questions emerge.

Graham
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-04-25 16:46
    I like this view! Consider me a convert Graham.

On the 4 step plan to Assembly Language enlightenment, I strongly agree with this. It's worked with every micro I've ever written assembly for. This one is really different though. I'm finding myself going back to the basics! (and that's just fun) Have the block diagram out in front of you, nice blank sheet of paper, etc...

Print out the listing, grab all the docs and follow the data flow for each instruction. IMHO, this is very important on the prop as differentiating COG memory from HUB memory is key. Everything runs on the COG, but it all starts from HUB memory. When a COG is started from either SPIN or assembly, it's memory is filled from from the HUB. Once that is all done, then the thing starts with your instructions.

I find it very helpful to track the flow of data. On every micro, there is a sequence that happens at boot time that gets you to the program you are looking at understanding, or writing. Groking this in simple terms, helps put things into context, which in turn, helps give the addressing in the instructions meaning.

In simple terms, visualize all your data loaded into the prop from the prop tool, or the EEPROM, on power up or F10. The 32K contains everything and the COGs are empty. Cog 0 then gets loaded with the SPIN interpeter and begins interpeting the SPIN program in HUB memory. At some point, that SPIN program will launch a COG, that's gonna be running assembly language instructions. These instructions exist in the HUB memory, in sequence ready to be copied into the 2K of COG memory. That's your DAT statement in SPIN!

At launch, the whole COG is filled from the HUB, then it starts running on it's own. Nothing runs in the HUB. It's just storage. SPIN programs exist there, but are interpeted by an assembly language program running on a COG, or COGs.

That's where your assembly program begins.

At that point, everything is in the COG, but for the HUB memory access instructions!

Within that COG, every instruction is 4 bytes long, meaning a COG can hold 512 longs worth of instructions and or data. The difference between the two really comes down to how the program is written. And that's where a lot of the study is, for this micro. Some instructions change others, to index tables of data, or change branch points!

IMHO, the example Paul posted is a really good one. It features access to the hub, has nice simple loops and shows off the addressing and how that impacts the code.

Post Edited (potatohead) : 4/25/2007 4:55:00 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-04-25 17:24
    potatohead said...

IMHO, the example Paul posted is a really good one. It features access to the hub, has nice simple loops and shows off the addressing and how that impacts the code.
    Thanks, I wrote up the explanation to the second part last night, but I traced my finger across the top of the touchpad which is the gesture for the back button and it all got erased. So here's my second effort:

Below is the portion of code that hasn't been walked through yet:
    :hptr         mov       :hptr, par                      'use this loc as ptr to hub mem
                  mov       :i, #CogBufSz2                  'reinit counter
                  wrlong    :d_inc, :hptr                   'write non-zero to signal start
                  add       :hptr, #4                       'inc hub pointer  
    :writeloop    wrlong    fbufstart, :hptr                'write long to main memory
                  add       :writeloop, :d_inc              'inc buffer pointer
                  add       :hptr, #4                       'inc hub pointer 1 long
                  djnz      :i, #:writeloop                 'empty entire buffer              

cogid     :i
                  cogstop   :i                              'die

:d_inc        LONG      $0000_0200
    :i            LONG      CogBufSz2
                  fit       $1F0 - CogBufSz2
    fbufstart     'start of buffer, following variables used before recording

• The first mov gets the address to the buffer in hub memory passed to it by the calling routine and overwrites the instruction, this is a trick to maximize space for the buffer and it works because the code is executed once so this location wont be executed again
    • the second mov reinitializes the iteration variable :i which was depleted when executing the :storeloop section of code explained yesterday.
    • the wrlong writes a non 0 value to the first location of hub buffer memory, this is to indicate to other cogs there is data to be processed
    • the add advances the hub memory pointer one long
    • the second wrlong writes a data element from the buffer in cog memory to the buffer in hub memory
    • the two adds advance the pointers, the first advances the pointer in cog memory by adding a 1 to the destination field of the wrlong instruction itself. The second advances the hub pointer by one long
    • the djnz decrements the number of buffer elements left to process (:i) by 1 and jumps to :writeloop if there are any elements remaining.
    • the cogid cogstop combination kills the cog and returns the cog to the unused list
    • the·fit was used to ensure the constant CogBufSz2 was equal to or less than the availible free space in the cog so that the number of elements in the buffer can be maximized

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-04-25 18:09
    I don't know if it's useful for others, but, for assembly, I like to think of the cog as the computer with the hub working as an I/O device just like the I/O pins and the video generator and the counters. The other cogs are somewhere else, doing their own thing, and acting as if they were on some kind of network. The hub memory controller is sort of like a file server complete with provisions for concurrent access. Obviously, there are some things that don't completely fit, but I'm surprised at how well this model fits.
  • edited 2007-04-25 19:00
    Hey fellas, looking at the various requests from fellow forum members about having more code examples for Assembler and Spin (especially code samples for specific Assembly commands like MOVD, MUX, etc.) I thought, What if the Propeller Manual is republished as a Wiki Document?? this way, everybody can collaborate in adding code samples and explanations to every Assembly/Spin instruction, and also quickly correct any grammar/syntax errors, I believe it will be a more organized/structured way to find help on any particular instruction, and a simpler way for all the great minds on this forum to enlighten us the Uninitiated (specially in Assembly smile.gif
    edited 2007-04-25 19:50
    How many here have read Gunther's Book? besides Kramer·(not just the 50 pg example).

I don't normally spend any time in this forum and have no experience with the Prop. Other than Mikes explanation of uC's I think most of us are just pitching for our favorites. I would really like to·here something more definitve from·Paul, since he used to be a major contributor to the SX Forums.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-04-25 20:21
    Mike,

I'm ending up at a similar model.· When figuring out what goes where, it's excellent.· Breaks down a little with the pins though...

·