Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Proto Board Quick Start — Parallax Forums

Proto Board Quick Start

mynet43mynet43 Posts: 644
edited 2007-04-26 19:48 in Propeller 1
I've recently started using the Proto Board with the Accessory Kit and Prop Plug.

It's assembled and I have no trouble downloading and executing programs.

Here's my question. I'd like to get the Keyboard, Mouse and Display working without having to reinvent the wheel.

I can probably figure it out from a combination of the examples and the available objects.

I'm sure this has already been done, so can someone please help me find the code for the proto board?

I'd prefer to use a resolution of 1024x768 for the video output if possible, as it matches a small LCD monitor I have.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Comments

• MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2007-04-22 02:32
    Just use the objects as-is, no need to reinvent the wheel.
    RoboGeek

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"

Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    www.parallax.com
    www.goldmine-elec.com
    www.expresspcb.com
    www.startrek.com
    ·
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-04-22 03:32
    Start by checking out the demo's.. Then you'll have a good starting place for how the objects work.

Oldbit

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-22 03:58
    The Protoboard has the VGA connector and the two PS/2 connectors wired the same as on the Demo Board, so any program that runs on the Demo Board with the VGA display should run unmodified on the Protoboard with the Accessory Kit.

Chip's Tiled VGA Display Driver demo should work nicely with your 1024 x 768 resolution display. It uses the mouse, but I'm not sure it uses the keyboard.
  • mynet43mynet43 Posts: 644
    edited 2007-04-22 16:57
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give it a try.

Jim
  • mynet43mynet43 Posts: 644
    edited 2007-04-26 19:48
    I started this thread a few days ago, hoping that someone would have a plug-and-play object for connecting a VGA terminal and a keyboard to the proto board.

There didn't seem to be one available, so I took some of the good suggestions and wrote one myself.

The attached object is great for debugging the proto board.

It attaches to a standard keyboard and video terminal. It reads the keyboard and displays/edits the screen.

Standard output routines are included for dec, bin, hex, str, cls and cursloc.

The resolution is set at 1024 x 768 with characters displayed at 128 x 64. It is easy to modify it for other resolutions.

I think it would be a great help to newbies to provide a link to this or something similar to get them off to a running start.

It's been fun writing this and a great way to come up to speed.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jim