Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VGATERM_013 + VGACHRS_010 - need help — Parallax Forums

VGATERM_013 + VGACHRS_010 - need help

Wong03Wong03 Posts: 2
edited 2007-05-02 07:12 in Propeller 1
HI All,

I have problem to run the above demo program. After compile and loaded to the RAM, the screen always blank and show nothing.
(I have enable the VGA switch) However for composite video (other demo program) demo program, it is running fine.

I do notice that the monitor 's signal indicator is blinking at a fix interval, about 1 sec, seems like out of sync.
Anybody encounter such problem ?

Is there any tools for BMP to spin for VGA, although the CD include a BMP2SPIN.exe but mainly for TV driver interface only.

Thanks in advance.

freaked.gif

Post Edited (Wong03) : 4/19/2007 10:46:01 AM GMT

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-04-19 21:51
    Make sure you are running VGACHRS_010 as the TOP level file.

The program should work, we tried it on about 50 VGAs and its based on chip's driver which he tested, so should work fine. Otherwise make sure you have nothing in the card slot for kicks and that you have th eVGA switch to enable (which you said you did).

If that doens't work, make sure you cable is good and try another VGA if you have it.

ALSO, there is a demo I made that tests EVERYTHING and all 8-cogs, its in the sources directory with the name HYDRA_test_rev_a.zip this tests the whole thing out, give that a try, read it carefully. Its for the testers on the assmebly line, so for the HYDRA to get out the door, this program must work which tests the VGA and NTSC simulataneously.

Let me know what happens.

Andre'
    ·
  • Wong03Wong03 Posts: 2
    edited 2007-04-20 04:49
    Hi Dear AndreL,

Thanks for your reply.

I have run the test, all pass except the VGA test. One of the LCD monitor (Dell) I have tested show the following message:

Out of range signal
    Cannot display this video mode
    change computer input to 1680x1050 @ 60Hz

However on the other CRT type monitor (the only one in my office), I can see the color palette which is align to the right of the screen.

It seems like refresh rate issue.

Mike Wong
    edited 2007-04-20 05:28
    Yup, seems so. The demos runs 640x480 60hz.

Andre
    ·
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-05-01 16:39
    I am having a similar problem and have only one CRT available. Since there is a POST self-test pin [noparse][[/noparse]pin 5] in the XGA standard, I am wondering if this is the cause of rejection. I momentarily get the image and then the screen goes blank.

Frankly, this self test feature appears to be ubiquitous, so if we can find a way to work around it, more people can use late model CRTs. I suspect that grounding Pin 5 might overcome the self test.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 5/2/2007 6:21:46 AM GMT
    edited 2007-05-01 17:52
    You should give that a try and see if it works then we will have a good fix for this particular issue.

Andre'
    edited 2007-05-01 18:07
    Andre,
    Grounding of Pin 5 is already in place.
    I tried using the Parallax Propeller Demoboard and that indicates Pin 5 is grounded with VGATEST2.··Pin 5 is indicated as also grounded·in your text for the Hydra.

My screen is flashing on and off at roughly one cycle per second, but the image is quite clear. Occasionally the image lingers a bit longer.

About all I can presume [noparse][[/noparse]no documentation on the self test feature in Google] is that self test goes high to stablize the output. If that is the case, I will have to construct an adapter as I prefer not to modify the Hydra board or the Propeller Demoboard.

A question about Monitor ID bits....
    I looked over the Hydra text [noparse]/noparse]page 117 & 119] and see that Pin 11 is grounded while four other pins are NC, Pin 4, Pin 12, Pin 15 [noparse][[/noparse]Monitor ID pins] and including Pin 9 [noparse][[/noparse]which is supposed to serve no function [noparse][[/noparse]a mechanical key.

My reference is www.interfacebus.com

Can you advise as why pin 11, which is a Monitor ID bit is grounded while the other three Monitor ID bits are floating?

I've spent two days with Google, but there is very little detail about how the standard pinouts are expected to operate during boot.

I'll try to change over to the Hydra board and the Hydra_test_Reva.zip for the sake of convienence to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 5/1/2007 6:20:30 PM GMT
    edited 2007-05-01 18:21
    Hmmm, I tried to use the most common intersection of VGA pin specs available for those other pins (I believe chip and I have the same final pins grounded). Anyway, without any "smart" end point you never know what's going to happen on all kinds of VGA with monitor id stuff. So the best thing to do is probably just get a little db15 connector that has the breakout stuff on it, so you can break connections and make connection and see what works the best on your monitor.

Andre'
    edited 2007-05-02 06:17
    Thanks Andre.
    Sampo is a source of frustration as they provide nothing for product not in current production. One PDF from them could resolve everything.

Due to the off/on behavior I'll take two approaches.
    1 - I'll see if the vga_rate is slightly out of range by slightly adjusting. I will also test the Hydra independently. It may work better. I suppose that variations in production of both the CRT and the Parallax board's oscillator could be a source of a slight mismatch.

2 - If that fails, I'll try a breakout arrangement and seek further explanation of the POST startup pin [noparse][[/noparse]Pin5 in the XGA standard] and the four Monitor ID pins.

By the way, there is a slight pinout variance between the Hydra and Propeller Demoboard. That Pin 11 is NC on the Propeller Demoboard, but grounded in the Hydra [noparse][[/noparse]this may be nothing]. And of course, you provided IC buffer chips, which the Demoboard omitted.

If all this fails, I can use the CRT monitor with my 'TV box' as an input converter and go back to the NTSC mode.

I now realize that the higher bandwidth of VGA causes limitations. Please forgive me if the thread has gotten a bit off track.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-05-02 07:12
    Andre,
    The Hydra board works fine with the RGW_VGA_TEST.SPIN file·from you. So I suppose that XGA pinouts are a non-issue. I'll have to further investigate the Propeller DemoBoard, maybe try your test software for a good comparison.

Color is good. Initial image was all the way to the right margin, but within range of adjustment.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔