Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropPlug Question — Parallax Forums

PropPlug Question

bambinobambino Posts: 789
edited 2007-04-24 12:19 in Propeller 1
I recently went back to the drawing board with an impact recorder design. It turned out the board was fine, but when mounted to the back of a LCD screen, the converter was too close to the backlight transformer. I redesigned the board and placed the converter circuit on a PCB mounted on top of the ProtoBoard.
Getting to the Point I found the converter was over heating, I did a continuity check and found a short to ground from the 5v line. I desoldered the converter and it's decoupling capacitor and got rid of the short(I thought)! If my test leads were placed black to GND and red to 5v I got an open, if I reversed them I got a short. My meter reads a short if under ~1.5 ohms.

Now for the really freaky part. When I removed my programming connection my problem goes away. Since the PCB is attached to the Protoboard by wire wrap gauge wires, I simply unbolted it from the protoboard to work on it, leaving the prop plug connected. The Prop IDE was not running during this event.

What am I overlooking here? I soldiered and resoldired all evening trying to get
rid of a short that was gone with the plug!
confused.gif
Does the plug have some low resistance diode between the two lines? And if so could this be placing some voodoo on my 5v accessories?

Comments

• bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2007-04-18 14:27
    Maybe someone with a plug, Protoboard, and a meter can duplicate this?
    Would be nice to know if my equipment was at fault.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2007-04-18 17:02
    How are you detecting the short? Note that to a multimeter, a large electrolytic capacitor is a short; if it is charged, it may read as a short in one direction and not a short in the other (as you describe). The "continuity" test of a multimeter is not a good indication of a short. A good indication of a short is when a powered-up circuit has zero volts between the five volt rail and ground. I would start by either using a bench supply with a built in ammeter, or wire up your own ammeter in the supply path, and see what kind of current is being drawn.

If you leave the prop plug on there but disconnect the USB cable, does the problem go away? If it does, it sounds like some sort of ground loop or something like that.
    edited 2007-04-18 17:50
    Thanks for the input Rokicki,

The cap on the 5v line is(was a 10uf tatanium), but per your first thought I removed it. The problem was still there(I think, It was getting late last night). I have since replaced it with a 1uf(the minimum required) thinking it may have caused the overheating.

I have not tried disconnecting the cable from the plug(nice point). I'll try that when I get back tonight!

The other line on that PCB is 9v, and there is real estate left for a 7805 reg.
    I did run analog grounds from the converter·back to the barrel jack grounds and power for the A2D amp driver back to the barrel jack Pos connector. So you may be right about the ground loop. It did work fine while it was in the breadboard, But so did the last design.

Thanks again Rokicki, I just needed someone to jog the old brain!
    edited 2007-04-19 12:16
    OK, I finally got time to look into this more. The cable and the PropPlug is not the catlyst: It all depends on whether or not the PC was On or Off.

On with black test lead to gnd; I get infinite ohms @ vin and vdd, 6Mohms @ 5v.
    On with·red to gnd; I get 0 ohms @ vdd and 5v, and 16k @ vin

Off with black test lead to gnd; infinite ohms @ vin, 500 ohms @ 5v, 342ohms @vdd
    Off with red test lead to gnd;·14Mohms @ vin, 500 @ 5v, and 342 @ vdd

I am thinking now that this is normal because these values are from another Protoboard, right out of the box.·Could someone please beat me with the analog ruler on this one. How come the·0 ohms, At best I would have thought the closest to·0 ohms·one would get is while reading the reset circuit.··········

Post Edited (bambino) : 4/19/2007 12:23:11 PM GMT
    edited 2007-04-19 16:31
    Well, actually, measuring a complex circuit like the Propboard using an ohmmeter is probably not very useful.
    Consider: what is the forward resistance of a diode? It depends on the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit
    (multimeter) you try to measure it with (assuming you use a simple circuit). As I said before, measuring the
    current draw of the live circuit is much more useful.

Your measurements are perhaps not totally meaningless, though. Again, 0 ohms can occur simply because
    you're measuring a live circuit with an ohmmeter (which is not intended to measure resistances on live
    circuits).

Let's go back to basics. You say your "converter" is overheating; what converter is that? If you measure the
    current through the converter with a live circuit, we'd be in a position to say whether that's normal or not.
    And saying "current draw with PC off is 14ma; current draw with PC on is 593ma" is highly useful, for
    instance.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-04-19 16:32
    You can't measure the resistance of a live circuit using a multimeter, if the PropPlug is connected to a PC which is on, it's a powered circuit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-04-19 16:58
    Thanks for the replies Guys,

I see where the vdd line could be considered powered by the plug, but how is the 5v and vin affected upstream when there is no wallwart plugged in?

Thanks for your explanation here, either way I don't believe this was the problem of the failing converter. I replaced the 5v line on the pcb with a 7805 reg off of the vin. I won't get to through any juice to it until the weekend.

Rokicki,
    The converter I am trying for the first time is an ltc1864 from Linear.
    True, current would be nice to know, but I already had it cut out of the circuit and a new one in before that occurred to me. Will remember that this weekend if I·have made another toaster!
    edited 2007-04-19 17:41
    It's pretty easy to get a barrel plug and jack and a pair of banana plugs so you can measure the current draw out of the wall wart just by sticking this
    cable inline. (The banana plugs go into your multimeter). Once you've made this once you'll use it again and again (I frequently have it inline just
    to watch the current as I try different things). If you don't have the plug/jack handy just grab a cheap extra wall wart, cut the hot wire in the
    middle of the cable and hook the banana plugs directly on this break.

And yeah, the wall wart may be powering a number of regulators and so on and so forth, but that's fine.
    edited 2007-04-19 18:18
    Yes, such a contraption is long over due for me. Boss number three has a clamp module that he uses regularly and I have drooled on it several times. Your idea is more in my budget!
    ·
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2007-04-19 23:16
    You should never connect a DMM in ohmmeter mode to a live circuit! The DMM generates its own voltage and you could fry it.

RoboGeek

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"

Adam Savage, Mythbusters
    www.parallax.com
    www.goldmine-elec.com
    www.expresspcb.com
    www.startrek.com
    ·
    edited 2007-04-20 12:32
    Thanks Robogeek, Very true.

The fact that the dtr line was active just didn't register with me when I was taking readings, or that the tx line might be being held high without me using hyperterminal or the prop IDE. In fact, this might fit in the stupidest thing I ever did with the prop thread.

Thanks Paul, Rokicki, Robogeek. I finished my honey doo list early enough last night to get in some prop time and I now have the circuit running. I will still have to convert my code to make use of the extra 4 bits resolution. It won't be too hard as my buffer was declared as longs to begin with, but the assembly routine isn't going to like it much. I may need to start from scratch on it.
    edited 2007-04-20 15:01
    Kinda off thread here, but could two 7085 regulators deliver 2 amps to a circuit?
    One is rated at 1 amp, would two in parrellel double the current?
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2007-04-23 02:43
    bambino: No, you cannot connect the outputs of those kinds of regulators in parallel. They can sink current as well as source it. What will happen is that one will try to sink as much current as possible from the other (maybe they'll switch roles). The point is, unless they are perfectly matched, things will get extremely HOT.
    edited 2007-04-23 12:09
    Thanks for the reply Whicker,

I have checked most of my resoures and finding a reg at exactly [url=mailto:5v@2amps]5v@2amps[/url] isn't easy! It is like everbody goes from 1.5 to 3 amps skipping anything close to 2.
    I guess I'll have to try the LCD vendor, surely somebody has gone with a battery option before!

Anyway, many thanks for all the replies, the converter is running. It does a pretty good job dealing with the noise around my circuit!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-23 14:09
    There are some application notes for the 7805 regulator that show how to connect several of them in parallel for greater current output. Try National Semiconductor's website on a websearch. whicker is partly right ... you can't just connect them in parallel, but there is a simple way with some extra resistors to effectively parallel them.
    edited 2007-04-23 14:18
    Right on!
    If I have to climb to some high mountain in Tibet to get something to run this screen I guess I'll be climbing, but it sure would be nice to get em at the local radio shack.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-04-23 15:10
    You can also use an external pass transistor. Details are in the LM7805 data sheet, IIRC.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
    edited 2007-04-23 16:35
    Thanks Leon,

I just printed that circuit off. It does not say how much extra current you can get, but it does look adjustable.
    edited 2007-04-24 12:19
    Leon, Thanks again.

As many times as I have used the 7805 I had never looked at the data sheet for it. I had no idea you could do so much to it with external components. I happened to have the transistor it called for laying around collecting dust. It power the LCD just fine, except for the heat dissapation. I think I'll know try to roll my own buck mosfett to feed this circuit and maybe I won't brand myself when I go pull the transistor off the bread board.freaked.gif