Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What is the stupidest thing you have done with a propeller. — Parallax Forums

What is the stupidest thing you have done with a propeller.

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2007-05-18 12:28 in Propeller 1
Oldbitcollector... in citing one of my least favorable icons... has reminded me.

There are a lot of folks who have exactly the same reaction, when they visit the forum... shock and awe.

I honestly think that Parallax and friends are doing something entirely new... and it is just a little bit awesome.

So... I would like to challenge the faithful to publish their own personal demons...

To start it out... I just fried my demo board... by first finding that if I rubbed four batteries together ... just right...
I could get a servo motor to do something that my code couldn't... make the damned thing move.

I'm not going to bury my demo board because I think that the Prop survived... and as soon as I figure out some of Chip's code... I'll have it talking Cog to Cog with my surviving demo board...

So... What is the stupidest think you have done?

And if you could provide the total context of your experience to explain why that was so stupid...

Maybe the newbies won't feel so reluctant to ask what they think are silly questions.

Rich

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-04-18 08:14
    Not quite what you're asking for, but the stupidest thing I've done so far is not touch the chip for six weeks!

I mean, this thing is awsome; mind blowingly simple (must be: even I've had it spitting-out readings from a MEMSIC accelerometer to a TV!), and I'm not getting the time to play :SOB:.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon

BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
  • Jake11611Jake11611 Posts: 47
    edited 2007-04-18 22:01
    I haven't really worked with the prop yet, but I've already managed to send AC through my protoboard the day I got it. Luckily I didn't break anything.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-04-18 22:27
    not written the shed load of cool apps it deserves
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2007-04-18 23:02
    This is not with the Prop, but it could have been. The other night while re-assembling my bot (several "decks" with parts on both top and botton), a total of 5 servos, a lot of wires and not much room, I was attempting to attach the battery in (7.2 v, 4200 mA) without putting down the screw driver I'd been using. I managed to get the screw driver somewhere it shouldn't have been and pfizzt (really, thats the sound it made). It literally blew the trace from the 9v battery terminal clean off the PCB! Left little copper foil pieces sticking up at the ends where the trace had been. Luckily, nothing damaged, I just can't use a 9v on that board any more. How's that? Do I qualify based on the thread subject?
    Steve
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-04-18 23:13
    Duffer,

Yep! A 30W zapper (if really well charged bat.) will do that.

Time for a hot iron and jumper wire to replace that trace.

Have done as choice 'moves' myself over the decades.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-04-19 00:42
    I'm sure I've done several poor practices while working with my propeller.
    (Too much heat, too long from my soldering pencil, putting fingers where fingers shouldn't be.)

The propeller seems very hardened against hobby incidents... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-04-19 02:18
    I've fried the P4 pin of my demo board, while playing with RCTime and I forget to put the 220 ohm resistor in serial with it.
    All worked fine !! in TV screen....until I put the potentiometer on some of the extremes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-04-19 03:37
    Edit: I was COMPLETELY wrong in this post. What my professor was calling "motors" were really "servos", so nothing I said here applies. It turned out that yes they did have an overheating problem, but it was simply that the 5 volt regulators weren't up to handling 6 servos. Furthermore, the student working on the project was aware of that and split the servos onto separate supplies to minimize the problem.

One of my Computer Science professors, who is, um, much more of a software guy than an electronics guy, asked me for advice about using the Propeller in class. He wanted to know whether the Propeller is fast enough to control two motors at once.

I said, "Sure, as long as you use some motor controllers. The Propeller's digital logic lines can't supply enough current to run a motor, and would burn up unless you use a motor controller."
    Motor controllers have been central to my research for the past year, so I had a lot to say on the subject. I spent 20 minutes talking about them. Then I said, "Did you order motor controllers?"
    He said, "Motor controllers? Sure! We have lot's of motor controllers."

A few months later he tells me the lab using the Propeller to control motors is going real well, except that the Propellers are getting very hot and stop working after a few minutes.

I said, "That's odd. Ordinarily the motor controller would isolate the Propeller fairly well."
    He became very puzzled, "Motor controller? -?" (Like, "what's that?")
    "OMG! Surely you're using a motor controller?"
    "No we just hooked the motors up to the Propeller. It seemed to work."

This professor has been very supportive of me and my work. He is my mentor for the research program I am doing in robotics. He is a great guy and has really helped me in every way - I also sometimes wonder if he reads a damn thing I write. To be fair he doesn't have any electronics background but for goodness sake, he PRESENTED my research poster this spring while I was away. You'd think he'd might have read what was on it. Guess what the topic of the research poster had been?

Motor control.

Post Edited (Dennis Ferron) : 5/18/2007 1:29:44 AM GMT
  • willy1067willy1067 Posts: 107
    edited 2007-04-19 14:25
    This is not with the Propeller, but it could have been for any of Parallax microcontrollers.

After testing a circuit on the breakboard, desided to make a circuit board. Went to my local Radio Shark (that should be their name with those prices)
    and pick up all the supplies to make it. Use Corel draw to make the layout and dip the my circuit design in the enchant. everything seeing to be going well
    I attach all the parts and solder them. connected my finish product to my BS2 Homework Board. but nothing worked. Puzzled, and after close examination
    found out that I did not reverse the image in Corel. Had to de-solder all the parts and mount them in the solder side... Ha, ha, ha.... is that stupid?
    well I since re made the board, and all is OK. I guess it's OK, I am a newby.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Fernando Gomez

revinc.us
    gomez-rivera.com

Never compare yourself with anyone else, there will always be someone bigger·or·smaller·than you.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-04-19 18:15
    Dennis,

Your prof is my eigenuberudder... or whatever that term is... except I'm not so good on the code side of things... either[noparse]:)[/noparse]

I had some old micro servos... futabas... just sitting around... so I looked up all the "specs" and it seemed like they needed somewhere between 4.8 and 6 volts... so, put 4 AA's into a battery pack, checked the voltage and hooked it up to the servo... and then hooked the signal line to a pin on my prop... I figured the worst that could happen is that I would blow a pin .... right?

So... my code being suspect as usual... nothing seemed to work... I didn't have 32 servos... but I figured I could use the 32 servo code if I'd just comment everything in the parent object... except one call... at first the servo just went back and forth... but my servo didn't really care if it was set to 1 ms... 1.1 ms... 2.2ms etc.

So... then I picked up the battery pack... to see if it was getting ready to explode and my servo jumped... and I found that I could make it jump... just by pressing rotating the batteries in the pack... I was kind of tansfixed... rotating them together... and watching my servo jump[noparse]:)[/noparse]

and then my prop went dead...

I know your Prof can't answer my question...but do you have any idea what i did?

Rich

By the way... with price of Props... I think 5 minutes worth of motor control is a bargain[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Do we get frequent flying miles for blowing them up?
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-04-19 18:25
    Rich,
    Don't you mean frequent fryer miles?

Maybe we should create a tri-color dunce cap with a propeller on top, just kidding.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-04-19 19:35
    You can sign me up!

(for both[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-04-19 20:19
    Time to 'fess up'?

Decades ago as a young engineer, a board I was checking out wasn't quite working right. Suspected it might be a 'heat problem'. Didn't have access to an oven. Recalled a tech who had a 'heat gun'.

Well, not inquiring as to how MUCH heat it could generate, I had the board upside down in one hand, probe(s) going to a 'scope, and the heat gun in the other hand. Watching where the gun was pointed to the back of the board and one eye on the scope, I proceeded to heat the board.

Then laughter. I looked and saw the tech watching me. Asked "What's so funny?" "Components are dropping to the floor" was the reply.

Lesson. Those heat guns are really hot; hotter than hair dryers. Hot enough to melt solder. Well, I had to laugh also at my dumb plan. Chalk that up to being too green.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2007-04-19 20:45
    I've just gotta get me a heat gun.

Rich
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-04-20 01:23
    rjo_: It is possible that interrupting the power supply to the servos (which made them jump) could have also created voltage spikes on the supply lines. That might have damaged the Propeller, or it might only have erased some EEPROM locations.
    edited 2007-04-20 01:46
    I would tell you the exact symptoms... but the minute I do, someone will call Chip on the hot line and he will get involved.

And I should know how to look at it myself... I've read all of the dead prop notices. ... but then again I read all about the 4.7K resistor too[noparse]:)[/noparse] In my own defense... I planned to plug it in the way I did... run the code and then immediately disconnect everything.

Thanks for your response. I'll wait for more propeller autopsy results... or go back and read through everything again.

For now I'm happy with my Bored of Eductation unit and my proto board...

By the way... if you are anxious to see 3D on your prop... hook up some rheostats in between the prop lines and the vid line and then run the graphics demo... the one with the star... and then play with the rheostats... I found a setting that makes it 3D with red and green glasses... which you can make with a printer and transparency paper.

Hope all is well with you.

Thanks,

Rich
    edited 2007-04-20 01:51
    Dennis... I almost forgot.

Since you are one of the nicest guys around... Do me a huge favor. Before the Engineers get back in the AM... look at my question in the sticky on Spin for newbies.

I have looked at that and looked at that... I can't figure it out.

It has to be simple... so... it has to be important too!

Rich
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-20 12:45
    I got one of the first 40-pin DIP Propellers. I built a board for it and got it to blink 5 LEDs on individual cogs. Each had a different prime number divisor to demonstrate that there were independent cogs at work.

And then I just let it run and watched it for months. I couldn't really understand the software very well, many of the objects were still being developed, and the book was yet to be published.

So I guess that is a bit dumb.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2007-04-20 13:01
    Kramer...

If that is the stupidest thing you've done... I would be almost afraid to ask..."What is the smartest thing you've done with a propeller."

I'm thinking of becoming a Propeller repairman... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-04-20 15:43
    That's pretty funny Kramer!

Das blinken lights are always a hit! Must be something in the genes.

Some time after I got my demo board, I fired up one of the graphics demos, hooked it to a display and just let it run for a good long time, looking for crashes. Nothing happened! I will do this with some things as sort of a crude robustness test.

Before I did this, I was writing code and reading this forum to get some ideas for the thing. Ended up getting hammered in both personal and work life, so I just let it run...

I'll take it with me when travelling on business. The hotel TV makes for a quickie display, given you can get to the video input, or are willing to engage broadcast mode. The second time I did this, I plugged it in and heard a buzzing sound and nothing worked. Got a call, so I took it and ended up on the phone for about half an hour. Came back, realized I had left it connected to an AC adapter. Somehow, I ended up with both an AC and DC wall wart of almost exactly the same size! Of course, I ended up with the AC one for the trip [noparse]:([/noparse]

(I've a bigger DC one that I use now, just in case!)

Got home, connected the right adapter and everything was fine.

Normally, I'll just throw the goodies in my checked luggage. One time I had it in my carry on, and security pulled out the mess and asked a lot of questions. I did put it in a clear bag though! After some discussion, all was good, but that did bother me some. I can't be the only person who does this... Everybody looked at me like I was some psycho-geek!

Got over that, still carry the stuff I want to learn about, still sometimes put it in the carry on. Wanting to take advantage of dead time seems to trump the hassle!

Post Edited (potatohead) : 4/20/2007 3:52:23 PM GMT
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-04-20 23:40
    Stupidest thing I've done-- Wait for the price to drop below $15 before buying my first one. :P

Oh yeah, and solder componites around and conected to the prop with a non-ESD safe iron (opps, I forgot that 110v will travel along a trace and fry a pin). [noparse]:([/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paper clips."
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2007-04-21 00:49
    Wasn't me, but...

On the radio yesterday there was a story about a young apprentice who had to fit·small boxes of some sort into 45 cars for Telstra (our main phone company in Oz). Dont know what the boxes were for.

Apparently, when finished, the first car wouldnt start, and then they found that none would start.

The poor fella' had driven a mounting·screw straight through the foot kick panel, into the engine computer, in every one of the 45 cars.

So when you stuff something worth 50 bucks, dont stress, theres always someone out there feeling worse.

Cheers,
    Chris,
    Western Australia
  • R BaggettR Baggett Posts: 149
    edited 2007-04-30 13:37
    I was working on a project to improve the reliability of an ethernet network for industrial robots. The switches for the network are in fairly inaccessible locations and failure of the UPS for them causes the halt of an entire lost foam aluminum foundry..

I used protoboards to monitor the LEDs on the UPS as well as take battery voltage measurements. They will automatically switch between alternate feeds as well as completely bypass a malfunctioning UPS if needed. They also throw udf packets back and forth (using PINK) to inspect the trunk lines, check on each other, and to replicate the alarms (BIG sirens!) at each switch. The web pages served up by the PINKs also provide remote diagnostics....

At least they do now...

On the first try, I carefully assembled and checked each subsystem, monitoring all voltages. everything checked out and the connections to the UPS were made.

POW (Insert long echoing...)

I powered the protoboard from the 5v regulated supply fron the UPS.. I had made the ASSumption that, since the negative terminal of the batteries landed on the same 'ground plane' as the center terminal of the 7805 UPS regulator, that the whole thing was ground referenced.

The negative side of that 5v supply actually rides on 70v relative to ground!

Proto board, pink, AND UPS.. all toasted..

After long and somewhat profane self discussion, a new protoboard, PINK, a small switching supply and dozens of optoisolators were ordered.

This also ranks as a personal best, as the only time in 30 years that I've toasted EVERY component in an entire control cabinet at once!

BTW.. There are currently at least 45 Parallax product based projects either working, or under development in the plant. There is a maintenance code for 'Parallax Glue Logic'
    edited 2007-04-30 21:13
    R. Baggett,

I can't stop laughing... because I don't understand a thing you just said.

But... someday I will. I promise[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2007-04-30 22:42
    I now fully understand the purpose of this thread. After reading R. Bagget's story (sorry, but that was "milk squirting out·your nose" funny), I don't feel so bad about probably stuffing an eb500 by using an unregulated power supply (Vin may have been > 12V). At least I didn't shut down a whole factory!

Words of wisdom given to me today by·Chris Savage (Parallax): "I always measure the output of new supplies before using them myself just to get an idea of how I need to rate any components they’re connected to."

Anyone want to bet that that statement could have been prefaced with: "After the fire, explosion, etc...." lol.gif

Would that we could all learn this simple lesson from someone else, rather that having to learn it for ourselves the hard way.

Steve
  • boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2007-05-18 00:37
    I let the magic smoke out of the resistor for the servo ports on the propeller proto board. by the way how many frequent fryer miles do i get for that?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lets see what this does... KA BOOM (note to self do not cross red and black)
  • SkogsgurraSkogsgurra Posts: 231
    edited 2007-05-18 12:28
    Stupidest thing I done recently was showing a nice snow-mobile test setup with a Prop and a 2.5" screen to an accountant.

I wonder - what makes them tick?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔