Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Enclosure for BOE — Parallax Forums

Enclosure for BOE

ProfessorwizProfessorwiz Posts: 153
edited 2007-04-24 11:00 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I can't seem to locate a ready made solution for a enclosure box for the BOE.· I'm trying to finish a project up, and the instructer indicated he wants a neat, professional looking project.· So I want to put the unit in a box with the pot on the top and the LCD display showing.· I can cutout what I need but need to find a box, preferably with some kind of mounting for the size board the BOE is.· Any suggestions?

Russ

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-17 18:55
    Russ,

You can just use any enclosure that the BOE will fit inside and drill your own mounting holes to line up with the holes in the board then mount it on stand offs. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-04-17 18:56
    Look at the PacTek website. I think the "HML" series might work -- look at the schematics for the board mounting holes.

http://www.pactecenclosures.com/

I thought the "HP" series might work -- but to fit the BOE, you'll need an 'expander' ring to make the enclosure thicker.

It "would be nice" at some point if Parallax did a little research so they could have a definitive answer as to a nice enclosure for the BOE board.· I know that MOST people will use the board in a lab environment, but it would be good to know an off-the-shelf enclosure that fit the board -- or one of the really nice Parallax prototype boards that match the BOE mounting hole pattern.

Having said that, I must say that in the three years or so I've been using the BS2, the enclosure question has only come up three times or so.· And that 'research' I mention above could be quite time consuming -- there's hundreds of possible enclosures, only a few of which would work really well.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 4/17/2007 7:20:51 PM GMT
  • ProfessorwizProfessorwiz Posts: 153
    edited 2007-04-17 20:22
    That's a bummer, I would have thought that with all the nice options that Parallax would have a nice enclosure that custom fit the PCB.· I was hoping I just missed it somewhere.· Time to hit Radio Shack.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2007-04-18 00:37
    Whatever you do, don't forget to allow room for the LCD and the pot behind whichever panel you mount them in and check for clearance between them and the BoE.

My experience with putting projects into cases is that you want to err on the side of too big. For your project you may want to look at cases in the 6"x4"x2" range, maybe bigger, depending on which side gets the controls and LCD.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2007-04-18 03:10
    www.radioshack.com has a good selection of boxes in stock - just search on 'project box'
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-04-18 03:25
    Professorwiz,

We once had an enclosure in process that fit our 3x4 boards. We designed several tops for LCDs, pushbuttons and used cable glands for power supply. A DB-9 extension fit into the side of the project box.

The reason that they never made it to market is that most of our office was convinced that no matter what we designed, that our customers would not be happy. Everybody is very specific about the boxes they want to use, and it seemed like we'd sell too few to justify the cost of tooling. This was an all-AL box.

But I regret not finishing the project, between you and I. I should get it going and let our customers decide.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-04-18 10:18
    I can understand people wanting to have specific boxes for things. I just was hopeing for a box that already had standoffs (in the correct positions) that would mount the whole BOE and easily make a little nicer project. I've done hours of searching and see plenty of boxes with different configurations from different manuf., but none seem to have the correct spacing ready made. I know I'd have bought one, I don't know if I'd have purchased 2 or not, or if I'd ever buy another one once I had one. That's probably the killer right there. How many people are going to have multiple BOE that they want to mount.
    Thanks again, it would have been a nice addition to your line (in my thinking anyway).
    Russ
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-04-18 16:21
    One suggestion.
    Avoid a power drill when making holes in a plastic box. The high speed can create problems. I some cases the plastic will melt as you drill.

I use an old hand drill and I don't have problems with the bit drifting and skipping as I start the hole.

For really delicate work, I hold my drill bits in a 'pin vise' and drill entirely by hand. In fact, I use the pin vise to drill solder out of clogged circuit board holes by using a 0.1mm drill.

The results are much cleaner and I don't have to drag power cords and such around. It may seem counter-intuitive, but hand tools can actually do a better job with plastic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2007-04-18 19:55
    Professorwiz said...
    I can understand people wanting to have specific boxes for things. I just was hopeing for a box that already had standoffs (in the correct positions) that would mount the whole BOE and easily make a little nicer project. I've done hours of searching and see plenty of boxes with different configurations from different manuf., but none seem to have the correct spacing ready made. ...
    One of the many wonders of our modern society is its waste. Another wonder is the infinite number of "boxes" it has created just for us to "waste".

So, I urge you to not look to Parallax, nor in the electronics parts catalogs, but rather look·in the trash, in the electrical section of your hardware store, in the kitchen supplies section of your food market, and all other places where boxes are --lonely and feeling unwanted-- waiting for your imagination to put them to some really cool uses !

I wouldn't say that "It's not building the electronics, but finding the right box, that is the challenge", but you might :>)

PAR
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-04-18 19:56
    Bud makes some nice plastic boxes with transparent covers. Inside each (and available separately) is a removeable, flat back panel, to which you can attach your BOE without having to drill through the box. The boxes are also watertight and rather pricy, but professional appearances never come cheap. DigiKey carries them. An example DigiKey part number is 377-1256-ND.

-Phil
    edited 2007-04-18 20:00
    Par,
    The issue is not just a box that will fit the components, but a box that would give the look and feel of a finished product. While I'm sure I can fit it in a recycled tool container, it wouldn't give the polished finish I'm sure this instructor is looking for. I could also machine one out of solid aluminum if I had the time, but now I have 1-1/2 weeks left to finish it up so I don't think that even ordering it from DigiKey will do. I'll have to find something "pretty close" at Radio Shack. I usually have issues to fix once I finish something and plan on at least 2 days correcting my mistakes.. If only I was as perfect as I think I am..
    Russ
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2007-04-18 20:04
    Professorwiz said...
    Par,
    The issue is not just a box that will fit the components, but a box that would give the look and feel of a finished product. While I'm sure I can fit it in a recycled tool container, it wouldn't give the polished finish I'm sure this instructor is looking for.· ...
    Hmmmm.... Perhaps your instructor would share your lesson in "look and feel" recycling with future students?

PAR
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-19 17:10
    Agreed…I always try to recycle old cases from computer A/B switches, modems, etc. There’s a lot you can do with recycled enclosures and it’s good for the environment.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • willy1067willy1067 Posts: 107
    edited 2007-04-19 17:43
    I can machine a custom box for you, just need to let me know the dimencions.

I made my own box for the project I am currently working on.

·http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=641010

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Fernando Gomez

revinc.us
    gomez-rivera.com

Never compare yourself with anyone else, there will always be someone bigger·or·smaller·than you.
    edited 2007-04-19 23:04
    Thanks, I appriciate it, but it wouldn't be in time.· I bought one from the Shack and have been machining the holes and spaces for the LCD.

Russ
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-04-24 01:26
    Russ,

How about a picture of the finished bot with box?

Always looking for good ideas...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+
    edited 2007-04-24 11:00
    Whit,

No problem, almost done, probably another couple days and I'll have it completed. It's not a bot though, just a camera controller.

Russ