Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flashing the EEPROM without Prop-IDE? — Parallax Forums

Flashing the EEPROM without Prop-IDE?

Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
edited 2007-04-15 17:27 in Propeller 1
OK, couldn't find that much documentation here.

First, my basic layout of the hardware to show how the data has to flow.

There is a main-propeller with some interfaces for data-acquisitation and a serial interface (RS232) he is receiving commands from and is sending answers to a remote PC.

On a completely separate PCB is an other Propeller who is displaying grahics on a small LCD (TV / VGA) and handling a smallish key-pad. Think of the secondary Propeller like being a X-Term.*)

Those two Props will be connected with a own serial connection (so the main-Prop has two serials). I guess I'll have to use differential drivers or a MAX232 because the environment is quite noisy (electrically speaking) and the cable is in the 1..2m range.

Now the question:
That secondary Propeller might (certainly will) need some software-updates. It has to be reprogrammed by the primary Propeller. Taking that already existing (planned) serial connection it looks like it would work (using the right pins, of course). Guessing from the schematics, I see that I need to reset (with a separate line controlled by the main-Prop) the secondary Propeller and then send some protocoll over the serial line. But I didn't find that protocoll. Is there a description? Timing limitations?

Knowing that protocoll, I could also use it to reflash the main-Propeller with some self-coded tool from a PC.

*) This also solves my problem of needing double-buffered graphics *and* RAM *and* cogs.

Any pointers welcome!

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
YADRO

Comments