Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
JTAG - debugger with Development board for arm cpu — Parallax Forums

JTAG - debugger with Development board for arm cpu

hollywoodhollywood Posts: 9
edited 2007-04-18 18:24 in Propeller 1
Hello all,

it is just an idea. Propeller development board can be a great debugging teminal i. e. for arm cpu's.

C++ code is allready available at sf.net for a gdb-server for use with eclipse.

The debugging dcc console can be shown on a vga monitor and the input can come from a keyboard or mouse. So can you debug a small linux board without PC.

Perhaps propeller-os can be used for the main application.

JTAG pins of arm-linux board N_TRST / TDI / TMS / TCK / TDO (P0 - P4) can be connected to wrap board of propeller Dev. kit.

Perhaps reading and writing synchonous data can be taken from reading mmc cards.

Please tell me, if it's a good idea.

Hollywood

Comments

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-04-15 07:52
    It's certainly an interesting idea; I've been playing with S3C2410 based Linux SBC's lately, and I have an LPC2103 kicking around...

but

A PC is more useful, as it can run eclipse, GDB, cross compilers etc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers
  • hollywoodhollywood Posts: 9
    edited 2007-04-15 08:06
    I think sometimes it is useful to have a little console for tracing.

And in the 2.6 linux kernel it is possible to have a dcc console over jtag-port.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2007-04-15 08:10
    Agreed; I am just concerned about the resource limits of the propeller, I don't know how much code / data would be required to run the JTAG interface for debugging.

Now as a serial debug console, I can certainly see it as being VERY useful!
    hollywood said...
    I think sometimes it is useful to have a little console for tracing.

And in the 2.6 linux kernel it is possible to have a dcc console over jtag-port.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - a new blog about microcontrollers
    edited 2007-04-15 08:26
    I think a start can be on PC. If i can test a program with a wiggler compatible jtag.

If it runs we must learn spin and program an application for propeller OS.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-04-15 10:23
    I've got a design including PCB layout for a simple Wiggler clone in the Files section of the LPC2000 Yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/lpc2000/

Leon
    edited 2007-04-15 19:13
    Thanks, yesterday night I soldered a cable together. But the Group is interesting.

Now i must test it. If the test is ok. I will write a little program, which tries to put data over DCC of jtag.

For reading, first i wil use the pc and then i will transfer the program to spin for propeller.

Is a C-Compiler for Propeller available ?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-15 19:21
    There's no C compiler available at present although Spin is very similar to C. There is a 3rd party (ImageCraft) that has expressed interest in porting their C compiler to produce code for the Propeller. It would produce a semi-interpreted assembly language (known as "Large Model Assembly Language") that would be slightly slower than assembly and produce programs somewhat larger than Spin interpretive code. There's no timeframe yet.
  • ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
    edited 2007-04-17 07:38
    Mike Green said...
    There's no C compiler available at present although Spin is very similar to C. There is a 3rd party (ImageCraft) that has expressed interest in porting their C compiler to produce code for the Propeller. It would produce a semi-interpreted assembly language (known as "Large Model Assembly Language") that would be slightly slower than assembly and produce programs somewhat larger than Spin interpretive code. There's no timeframe yet.

Not commitment, but I'd say we are looking at production release by the end of the year at the latest and probably earlier. How much earlier? Not sure yet. Need to talk to some folks.
    // richard
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-04-17 14:22
    > ... although Spin is very similar to C.

Huh!? Now that is a stress! smile.gif

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
    edited 2007-04-18 18:24
    I think with a little help in this forum we can do it.

First i must write a C progam, that shows dcc info over jtag port.

I will take some code of sf.net and if it works, i must make the code smaller, so that we can move to spin.