Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Definate Plug for Hydra Book — Parallax Forums

Definate Plug for Hydra Book

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2007-05-04 23:45 in Propeller 1
I still haven't gotten through more than around half of the "Game Programming for the Propeller Powered Hydra" and I must say that it gets * * * * * star recommendation! Even for an owner of the Propeller Protoboard/Demoboard. It's taken me a couple days to get around the problem of software conversion issues from Hydra settings to Propeller, but I have a copy of Lander running on my Prop-board with joystick controls so "It can be done!" -- Nice! In short a book WORTH BUYING! Thank you!

I'm not sure if it's permissible for "adapted" copies of the .spin games to be posted in the Forums, but perhaps a thread for how to modify the code (partial code listings) might be??

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Comments

• AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-04-16 00:33
    Thanks for the compliment. The best part is still to come. And yes, as I noted putting the differences is fine, a little guide to conversion for each is great, just can't post the original sources since they are copyrighted and owners of the book get them by buying it. So we don't want to devalue their investment either. But, by putting the differences and how to convert by showing the lines in question (usually 2-5) that adds value for those that have the other demo boards, etc. Moreover, a general outline of "do these things to convert hydra programs to demo 1, demo 2, etc." boards would be great. And if you are ok with it, I will even though it on the CD next time we burn it.

Andre'
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-04-16 01:58
    That would be awesome! And perhaps encourage a few more book sales. (Something that might get you to write book two!) -- Should we use this section for the thread, or better posted in the propeller section?

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
    edited 2007-04-16 03:10
    I think make a new thread called "Converting HYDRA specific programs to other boards"

Then start the thread saying something like "for those that are considering buying the HYDRA or just the HYDRA book, this thread will give hints how to convert programs that are on the hydra CD and in the text to make sure they work on other propeller based boards". Then you would put up each of you findings, like maybe some general things to watch out for like the video port, vga port, the iso or 2-wire mouse/keyboard port, etc.

That would be very helpful, so everyone doesn't have to go in and re-figure stuff out each time to convert. Its more really a general conversion strategy, since all the conversions will be nearly the same and mostly consist of changing a few lines of code OR ommiting the gamepad driver for example and using something else.

Thus, one thing you could do that would be helpful is make a virtual gameport driver, so demos that use only the gameport use the keyboard for example, but are called the same by using a driver with a slightly different name, but has the same calls as my gamepad driver, but instead it uses the keyboard [noparse]:)[/noparse] This way they don't have to rip the calls out from a gamepad demo and can just use a keyboard to replace it, with the same function calls, the only thing that changes is the driver name (slightly) which would be a cut down keyboard driver, then you would add the function calls to it and remove all the keyboard calls, since no one would use them anymore and the only diff, would be there would need to be a start call with the keyboard port they are going to plug in the keyboard that will double as a gamepad(s).

Anyway, some ideas.

Andre'
  • azmax100azmax100 Posts: 173
    edited 2007-04-16 09:14
    Hi all.

Andre good Idea. I have propeller demo board and eager to see convertion of Hydra book to other propeller board. I think other people too.

How about do it now.

·
    edited 2007-04-17 00:17
    As mentioned, all the demos can be ported very quickly, the only time there's any difficulty is when you want to use the gamepad, in those cases, you just delete the gamepad calls and use the mouse/keyboard backup input device with 95% of all the demos have. Other than that, conversion is just a couple lines of code changing bits, ports, and values.

Andre'
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-05-04 17:01
    BTW, I bought the complete Hydra kit and the CD has yet another e-book on it from Andre. So the kit remains a far better value if you can afford it.

As it stands, my Hydra can be used to immediately play games when someone drops by while I have to Propeller Demoboards that I can use to study and try changes as they progress.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it really is nicer to have both board and to reserve the Hydra to impress friends with finished product at a moments notice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2007-05-04 23:45
    Yup, on hte book is a complete copy of "Black Art of 3D Game Progamming" which covers many good algorithms, general game programming, and of course 3D math and graphics to bring you up to the flat shaded polygon model of 3D, perfect for the HYDRA which can pull the same stuff off, so that's why its on there. Wrote it 12 years ago, but still sells today [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'