Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial Port Pin Tester — Parallax Forums

Serial Port Pin Tester

mirrormirror Posts: 322
edited 2007-04-15 22:33 in Propeller 1
Here's my first propeller application! Somebody else may find it useful aswell.

I've designed and manufactured a prototype board which doesn't have the vga, video or keyboard stuff. So I wanted a little program to quickly enable testing each pin for continuity and shorts.

The attached example allows a terminal program to connect to the Propeller, and set each pin individually to either a high state, low state or a toggling. All pins not under test are set to inputs.

The toggling state toggles the pin high and low at a rate of 2Hz. This allows the audible logic level feature of my multimeter to be used to do the testing.

Feel free to use / modify / ignore as desired.

Comments

• DavidMDavidM Posts: 626
    edited 2007-04-14 09:19
    HI,

Can you post a picture of your board design?

regards

Dave M
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2007-04-14 09:27
    Thanks for that. It works OK on my board using the Prop Plug, with HyperTerminal. It'll save me having to write little programs to test the hardware.

Leon
  • mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2007-04-15 22:33
    DavidM said...
    Can you post a picture of your board design?
    Umm, No. But, the board also includes a ENC28J60 ethernet chip, and my intention is to post some code to support·UDP communications in the next couple of weeks. I won't be supporting TCP/IP though - I simply don't need it for the product I'm developing.

The amount of board/componentry required to test the functionality of the supplied code is minimal. Basically, if you can connect to and program the propeller, then you have already got enough components on your board.

Edit:· The previous sentence is not quite accurate. You do need to have a crystal or oscillator - which is not required for programming.

Post Edited (mirror) : 4/16/2007 1:45:27 AM GMT