Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp & usb — Parallax Forums

basic stamp & usb

denniswdennisw Posts: 3
edited 2007-04-13 20:12 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I originally built all the circuits and interface required to program and test the BS2. I simply plugged my breadboard circuit into the computer's serial port. My new computer doesn't have a standard serial port but has several usb ports. Can anyone tell me how or provide a schematic for connecting my breadboard to the computer via usb?

Thanks dennisw
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-13 19:23
    You need a USB to serial adapter that supports the DTR and RTS control signals. Parallax sells one www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28030 that works nicely and is cheap. I've used the Keyspan High Speed adapter for years with both MacOS and Windows. Both of these simply have a USB connector on one end and a 9-pin RS-232 socket on the other end. The PBasic manual shows how to connect the BS2 to a 9-pin RS-232 socket for programming and debugging.
  • denniswdennisw Posts: 3
    edited 2007-04-13 19:36
    Thanks, I didn't know it was that simple. I am currently using a 9 pin serial connector but the wife has confiscated my laptop so I want to use my new desktop instead. Do you know if the Basic Stamp Editor will work ok in Windows XP?

Thanks again,
    dennisw
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2007-04-13 20:12
    Yes, the IDE will work in Windows XP.