Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Oscilloscope with the Understanding Signals kit — Parallax Forums

Parallax Oscilloscope with the Understanding Signals kit

studysessionstudysession Posts: 66
edited 2007-08-21 12:47 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I bought the Understanding Signals kit. I am using the BS2 on a BOE board.
I downloaded the 5.XX version of the OScope software because running on Windows VISTA. First I found out there is no FFT. That took a while to figure out and finally called tech support to make sure I was just not looking in right place. Sure enough, just not in this version (yet?).

Anyway -
Is there a way to ZOOM in and out in the plot area window in this version?
The numbers are coming up correct but things are to small and would like to zoom in on that window when moving the cursor bars.

Thanks -
SS

EDIT: I would like to add - I like the explainations of circuits and components better in this than in the "What's a Microcontroller" book.

Comments

• studysessionstudysession Posts: 66
    edited 2007-04-13 17:36
    Another question -
    Chapter 4 - Activity #1
    It only shows one of the grounds connected. When using more than one probe, do you need to connect the ground for each probe or will just one do?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-13 21:34
    Hello,

The V5.0 is not compatible with the current revision of the Understanding Signals Text for many reasons. If not running Windows Vista it is recommended to run the V4.0 to follow the book. As for connecting all grounds it is always a good idea. In this case since they connect internally at the scope it will still work. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-13 23:45
    Thanks -
    Yeah running VISTA the 4.0 doesn't run. Wish it did. Looks like it has better features than the 5.0
    edited 2007-04-13 23:47
    BTW -

Is there a way to zoom in and out on version 5 in the plot window?

Thanks
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-14 01:33
    Not currently. There are a few minor adjustments to be made yet on the V5.0 software.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-04-14 01:38
    Thanks
  • basicstampbasicstamp Posts: 3
    edited 2007-07-30 10:49
    When pressing the settings button in version 5.09, I still get the USB settings and no pulldown menu for adjusting the trigger settings etc.
    In the installation folder there is an map called SetupButs, but I can't see them in the program.
    Wil this be fixed soon?
    Greetings, Wil
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2007-07-30 17:35
    Hello All,

The 5.1 version of the software which is in the works right now·will not have the FFT function, nor zoom, nor plot scaling (we were anticipating scaling of captured plots but that isn't going to happen right now.)

In addition to some bug fixes, the 5.1 version will have cursor snap-to-plot, reference waveform, print and print-preview, improved format for export·data, and load/save settings functions.··Once I have the completed software·in-house to work with, a·help file will follow.

basicstamp,

The trigger, acquisition, and cursor settings have their own drop-down menus from the toolbar, and are not accessed by the Settings button or the Settings drop-down menu.· If you are not seeing View, Trigger, Acquisition, Cursors and Settings as the main menu bar options, please let me know - email me at editor@parallax.com.

In the next revision we are adding a feature with which you can set up the scope as you want it and then save those settings for use in a later work session.

-Stephanie Lindsay
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-07-31 00:26
    Stephanie,

Thanks for the info on version 5.1.

Working with the Understanding Signals text - I use version 4.0. Is is possible to have both versions on the same PC at the same time and use each? Or should just one version at a time be installed? I can't remember this being discussed.·I haven't tried the new software yet. I am also still running Window XP - Professional.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 7/31/2007 12:46:14 PM GMT
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2007-07-31 15:44
    Hello Whit,

To test, I just downloaded 4.0 and reinstalled it, I already had 5.0.9 on my machine (an IBM ThinkPad with XP). The 4.0 software was slow to respond at first as I tried to change the port setting, but once that was done it did work okay. Now after several closings and reopenings, both versions are working as usual.

I checked with Tech Support, and both the 4.0 and 5.0.9 installers have the same USB drivers bundled in them, so if they are "updated" as you install or uninstall either software that should not be a problem.

-Stephanie Lindsay
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-07-31 17:36
    Thanks so much Stephanie,

Some others might find this useful information also..Now I can see what the new software is like while I have the 4.0 to use with my book or when it has better features. Should be the best of both worlds.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    edited 2007-08-21 12:47
    Thanks for the replies.