Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Buying, prices, box-size — Parallax Forums

Buying, prices, box-size

RedNifreRedNifre Posts: 84
edited 2007-04-30 23:32 in Propeller 1
Hello there!

I would really like to buy a Hydra Console. Unfortunately the prices are like this:

USA             199    USD        148.21 EUR
Germany (me)    321    USD        239    EUR
Switzerland     251.49 USD        187.31 EUR    306.50 CHF

Why is there such a HUGE price difference?

As you can see, the 122 USD i would save if I bought it from the USA would be more than enough to pay for the shipping. (And the Hydras sold in Germany seem to be identical to the original ones, except for the power supply, which I would have to buy seperately)

Currently, a friend of mine is visiting the USA. So, before I asked him to buy one for me I need to know the following things:
- Where could he buy a Hydra? At a store? Or only via online ordering? (Which would not be an option, of course)
- How large is the box? (Height, Length, Width)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ChaosUKChaosUK Posts: 5
    edited 2007-04-13 14:15
    Have you tried http://www.zekotec.ch think its cheaper there.
  • RedNifreRedNifre Posts: 84
    edited 2007-04-13 15:28
    Thank you. But that Zeko-page is a bit irritating. This is what I found at Zeko:

http://www.zerko.ch/parallaxshop/530637977a0eb7902/02b8e698820891fae.php (expensive)
    http://www.zekotec.ch/parallaxshop/530637977b0b3e602/02b8e698ae079c60f.php (cheap)

The second one appears to be without taxes, so its not cheaper than the other
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2007-04-13 16:15
    Hello RedNifre,

I checked with our·sales team, and they say it is·fine for you to make an·online order with·your credit card, but have the·package shipped to your friend visiting in the US, even if it is a hotel address.··They did emphasize it is important to use your correct·credit card billing address in your country, and to put·your friend's name·and where he is staying in the shipping address. If you have questions about this, you can contact our sales department·by email at: sales@parallax.com.·

If your friend happens to be near Sacramento, California, he could purchase one directly from us at our home office.· Our price for this kit·recently dropped, which may be part of the price difference you are seeing.

The box is 25 x 33 x 11 cm, and weighs about 2.5 kg (the 800-page book is quite heavy!).

-Stephanie Lindsay

Editor, Parallax Inc.
  • clareyclarey Posts: 1
    edited 2007-04-30 17:35
    Is there a discounted price if multiple Hydra units are purchased as a classroom set?
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2007-04-30 18:06
    Contact sales directly, depending on how many you want to buy they might be able to give you a discount.

Andre'
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-04-30 23:32
    For what it's worth, I'm in the British Channel Islands, and I ordered my Hydra direct from Andre'. It didn't occur that there was a big enough market for there to be multiple suppliers. But when found out later there were more local suppliers, the way I did it was still a lot cheaper even after paying for USPS airmail and for the optional international power supply. It took 14 days including weekends and Easter to get here.

(I was amazed that it came in a box with proper retail-like graphics on it. Very professional. Definitely a bigger market than I thought. I thought Andr