Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dissappearing Topics — Parallax Forums

Dissappearing Topics

TomSTomS Posts: 128
edited 2007-04-12 08:17 in General Discussion
Twice now I've had topics dissappear from the porpeller forum. One minute I'm in the topic reading the posts and go somewhere else and when I come back to the forum the topic is no longer there. What's up?

Tom

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-12 01:39
    Tom,

Three possibilities exist here…

1) The thread was off topic and the moderator moved it (primary moderator of Propeller Forum is Paul Baker). Generally if we move a thread because it is off topic we first post a message that it is being moved. If you posted in the thread or know who posted it you can find its new location by clicking on the member’s profile from the Member List and see their last posts or yours.

2) The original poster deleted the message. I have seen people do this when they get no replies. Of course, once the thread has replies it can only be removed by a moderator and we try not to do this unless the thread contains SPAM or offensive language.

3) There is a problem with the forums. While doubtful it is possible and we can look into it. It would help to know which threads (what they were about) are missing and who posted them or if you replied in them.

Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • TomSTomS Posts: 128
    edited 2007-04-12 02:22
    The topic Title is EEPROM Failure. The last post was yesterday at 419AM. It's there again now. It must be some combination of things I'm doing that cause the topic to not show up. The first thing I did was read the thread. I also clicked Bean's link to a download and got an error. I hit the back button on my browser several times and scrolled through the thread. When I went back one page to the propeller main topic list, the topic was gone. I logged off and logged back on but the topic still didn't show. Strange. This last time after receiving your reply I had closed my browser and restarted it. Viola, the topics there.

I think we can eliminate 1 & 2 as possibilties.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-12 02:37
    Most browsers cache copies of a previously viewed page to speed display. When you went "back", perhaps you got an old copy. Something screwy may have happened when you got an error. Next time something like this happens, try refreshing the page.
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2007-04-12 07:09
    I don't know if what I have to say, has any thing to do with this, But FYI

I found 2 different versions of the same post while I did the SX index.·One through searching the threads the other from the Parallax Google search engine. What was really wierd was the·thread, was already part of the list. But the google·version had a Jon Williams entry, in the early part of the thread. That comment increased it's worth as a "Best thread"·(2 different url's )

Bill
  • Capt. QuirkCapt. Quirk Posts: 872
    edited 2007-04-12 07:11
    Maybe it was just being edited?
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-04-12 08:17
    TomS -

Sometimes you need to hit REFRESH (on your browser) to get the currrent copy. If you are using IE, SHIFT REFRESH will GUARANTEE a new copy regardless of how you have set the options for IE.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔