Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hall Sensor on Milling Mach. — Parallax Forums

Hall Sensor on Milling Mach.

curious1curious1 Posts: 104
edited 2007-04-10 17:06 in General Discussion
The melexis hall sensor for rpm sensing on the example milling mach. appears to be directly above the magnet which is lying flat on centerline with the spindle. How does it sense changes in the field ?
The data sheet for the sensor shows no such arrangement.
It's not exactly clear where the sensor is mounted in relation to the magnet on the mill.
Also, how would adding another magnet increase resolution and where would the second mag. be placed in relation to the first one ?
The link to the mill is in the Parallax ad for the hall sensor as well as the data sheet.
Thanks

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2007-04-10 17:06
    The Melexis sensor is able to perform two functions. First, it can be placed directly over a magnet and detect the change in poles. With each rotation the pin is high (or low, I don't remember). Additionally, the sensor can be used to count pulses from a magnet rotating by the sensor. In this example the magnet would be mounted on a disk or something similar.

I haven't looked at the datasheet recently, but when I built the project it described how to place the sensor directly over a rotating magnet.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.