Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
how do i find the unique id to my rfid tags? — Parallax Forums

how do i find the unique id to my rfid tags?

chiltonchilton Posts: 3
edited 2007-04-11 03:40 in General Discussion
I apologize for the supper noob question but this is my first time using rfid technology. I am making a device that uses two rfid tags (world tag 50mm), read by a rfid reader, then the signal is sent to a basic stamp 2 module lf, via a basic stamp supercarrier which will then use one of two reed relays to trigger a remote control. In a sense making a touchless remote control. I understand the basic coding I am just unsure how to obtain the unique id for each id tag.
I understand that the carrier board will connected to a computer using the serial connection however once the carrier is connected to the serial how do you communicate with it? Also do you have to compile the basic 2 stamp before loading? If so with what? Any and all help would be very very appreciated.

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2007-04-10 12:19
    Chilton,
    The card reader will spit out a string whenever the tag comes within range. Within that string will be the unique identifer for the tag. The Stamp will be programmed (by you) to get the id and do what you want with it. Most of the work will be done by the SERIN command.

Once programmed, the system will be stand alone. You can feed the serial string from the reader in the programming port (pin 16) or leave it available and use another pin (0 to 15) as serial input from the reader.

You can have a look at the docs for the reader online.

This, BTW, will be a neat project and others will be interested in your efforts.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • chiltonchilton Posts: 3
    edited 2007-04-10 20:28
    I understand how the reader works i have just not had a chance to plug it in to a serial yet and see how that aspect runs. this will be a stand alone project that is going to control an i pod with out having to touch it. good for skiing, biking or something where the i pod will be hard to get to.

Post Edited (chilton) : 4/10/2007 8:38:33 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-04-10 21:07
    Chilton,

The RFID_basic code displays tags on the DEBUG screen, whereas the other example code looks them up and compares them to a know list. Download the RFID_basic code and you can read the numbers from any of our tags. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2007-04-10 21:21
    chilton said...
    I apologize for the supper noob question but this is my first time using rfid technology. I am making a device that uses two rfid tags (world tag 50mm), read by a rfid reader, then the signal is sent to a basic stamp 2 module lf, via a basic stamp supercarrier which will then use one of two reed relays to trigger a remote control. In a sense making a touchless remote control. I understand the basic coding I am just unsure how to obtain the unique id for each id tag.
    I understand that the carrier board will connected to a computer using the serial connection however once the carrier is connected to the serial how do you communicate with it? Also do you have to compile the basic 2 stamp before loading? If so with what? Any and all help would be very very appreciated.
    The super carrier board ( http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27130·) contains one of the basic stamps (which one do you have?· I'm not familiar with the "lf" module).

Anyway, the carrier board's Stamp is the thing you need to program with code that will handle the input from the rfid tag. And, to program the Stamp (on the carrier board), you need to connect the board/Stamp to your computer where your Stamp programming editor is installed. You create your Stamp program in that editor (on your computer) and then you download that program to the Stamp to test it and then run it.

To learn how to connect the Stamp to your computer, and to learn how to use the Stamp's programming editor, you could probably start with Parallax's free "What's a Microcontroller?" manual, " http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28152·", (download it, or purchase the paper version with the parts you'll want to have on hand to do the tutorial lessons).

More information about how the rfid module can be integrated into your Stamp system can be found in http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/audiovis/RFID-Reader-v1.2.pdf

Other rfid-related documents can be found at http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28140

Those documents are where to start, to learn how to "plug it in", program the Stamp to gather and use the information sent from the rfid, etc.

More specific questions, based on difficulty with specific attempts to use the documentation, will yield·more specific replies from forum contributors.

PAR
  • chiltonchilton Posts: 3
    edited 2007-04-11 03:40
    PAR,
    thank you very much for the help!