Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parts questions — Parallax Forums

Parts questions

A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
edited 2007-04-07 17:35 in Propeller 1
Hi.
I was wondering where I could get a 128 k EEPROM like on the HYDRA for a low price.
Also, where could I get a 5 Mhz crystal and an audio port like on the Demo board.
And... if I have 25 pins to spare, how much more EEPROM could I add?
thanks,
ACfishing

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Somebody said...
-Never Underestimate the power of human stupidity.
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-07 14:25
    Good sources for small parts orders: Jameco, Digikey, Mouser. All have web stores, good service, reasonable prices, on-line catalogs. Websites at www.XXXX.com where XXXX is the name.

If you use the same chip as the Hydra (24LC1024), you can get 256K bytes per pair of pins. If you use a smaller EEPROM (24LC512), you can actually get 512K bytes per pair of pins due to the way addressing is done. Some EEPROM routines are written to use pairs of pins (SCL on even numbered and SDA on odd numbered). You could have groups of EEPROMs that share a common SDA line, but have separate groups with their own SCL line and get a megabyte using just 3 pins. You can't quite extend this indefinitely because of line driving issues. If you need to go to large amounts of storage, I'd suggest using an SD card with Rokicki's drivers. It uses only 4 I/O pins and works well up into the gigabyte range. You don't need to use his FAT file layer if you don't need PC compatibility or named files. You can just use the low level block read/write routines.
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2007-04-07 14:46
    Mike-
    Thanks for your answers.
    Could you post a link to Rockiki's post and drivers?
    I can't find them on the forums.
    thanks,
    Acfishing

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Somebody said...
    -Never Underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    ·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-04-07 16:15
    Rokicki's drivers are in the Propeller Object Exchange. Go to the main Propeller page and there's a link on the upper right.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-04-07 17:35
    Not to hijack this thread but.....

This website doesn't sell the parts you asked about, but he sells resistors and a few other misc parts. Useful to everyone reading this I'm sure. Shipping is very reasonable, he only charged me 75 cents, and I bought 700-800 resistors. His 1/4 watt resistors are a penny each, mix and match. and the minimum order is only 1 dollar.

www.angelfire.com/planet/andysresistors/index.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian Meade

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Poe